Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Radiator & Chargecooler Rads
T66

posted on 14/10/12 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
Engine Radiator & Chargecooler Rads

I have a front mounted radiator, whats the thoughts on me doubling up the chargecooler radiator against the engine rad ?, my engine rad has a single fan, but I could soon fit another to help out. Too much heat going on ?

space is limited, and I have a good 600mm x 200 x 70 infront of the radiator which I would like to use.

cheers

MRLuke

posted on 14/10/12 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
Have a small gap between the two, make sure the overall depth doesn't get excessive and you will be fine.

I assume your chargecooler is air cooled rather than water cooled.

[Edited on 14/10/12 by MRLuke]

T66

posted on 14/10/12 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
The chargecooler is a water/air , and is rearmounted behind the engine.

We avoided a rear mounted air/air intercooler due to space & avoiding ducting issues. And mounting it in the front with a rear engine wouldnt be too good either. Cooler core in the engine bay pic

Would you suggest a second fan on the 2 rads in the front ? current setup has a single Spal fan for the engine coolant.

MRLuke

posted on 14/10/12 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
OH I see! The rad to cool the water for the charge cooler.

You shouldnt have any issues unless the overall depth is excessive. Make sure the rads are ducted properly and that there is somewhere for the air to go AFTER it has gone through the rads.

For reference im running a 60mm rad with a 60mm intercooler in front. I wouldnt fancy going much deeper really.

Build looks really good

T66

posted on 14/10/12 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
The radiators will vent out through ducting on the bonnet. Thanks for the replies Luke

froggy

posted on 14/10/12 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
Best thing I did with my setup is add a cheap temp guage to monitor the coolant temp as running in traffic can let the temp creep up making the system less efficient . Next mod on mine is adding a fan to the cc rad triggered at 40c .

I'd go as big as poss with your rad it won't have any effect on your engine rad , I ran a micra rad with my twin engine setup and never had any cooling issues .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

T66

posted on 14/10/12 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by froggy
Best thing I did with my setup is add a cheap temp guage to monitor the coolant temp as running in traffic can let the temp creep up making the system less efficient . Next mod on mine is adding a fan to the cc rad triggered at 40c .

I'd go as big as poss with your rad it won't have any effect on your engine rad , I ran a micra rad with my twin engine setup and never had any cooling issues .

Ive got my eye on a 26x7x2 one, which is a double pass core, which is the max space I have without cutting wheelarches to fit etc.

thanks for the help, now to find the money lol...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.