Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy Engine Conversion diary ZX9 - KL V6
rb968

posted on 22/10/12 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
Claire,

That looks like it would work for me. Add it to the list........ ;-)

Cheers

Rich

zilspeed

posted on 27/10/12 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by athoirs
[img][/img]

Rover KV6 300+ HP ...

Andy

I think that's the first pic I've seen of the Mutch / Jolly car which gives a proper view of the engine installation.

Love that the engine is set low and well behind the front axle line.

This has been one of my favourite drivetrains in combo with the funky gearbox.

Nick DV

posted on 27/10/12 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zilspeed
quote:
Originally posted by athoirs
[img][/img]

Rover KV6 300+ HP ...

Andy

I think that's the first pic I've seen of the Mutch / Jolly car which gives a proper view of the engine installation.

Love that the engine is set low and well behind the front axle line.

This has been one of my favourite drivetrains in combo with the funky gearbox.

........and doesn't it sound nice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTOM_kjudCQ&list=FLF8Gl8kVH12oiEDnJbAdvEA&index=71&feature=plpp_video

You've plenty to look forward to!

Cheers, Nick

[Edited on 27/10/12 by Nick DV]

"The force will be with you, always!"

rb968

posted on 28/10/12 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
MK INDY Engine Conversion diary ZX9 - KL V6

Another update (plenty of photos as usual).

Sitting watching the GP highlights after a day in the garage. Bloody miserable weather though.

Claire managed to get my throttle bodies to me. These are 2 lots of Triumph triple 595 bodies on custom alloy manifolds, spaced to the KLDE ports and with Claire's own linkage. Claire uses Vauxhall 2.5 v6 injectors on custom fuel rails.

Here they are as they arrived.
Triumph ITBS arrived RB
Triumph ITBS arrived RB

No offence to Claire intended but they had the patina of use.....and quite a lot of orange sealant so I spent an hour cleaning them up a bit.
Cleaned ITBs RB
Cleaned ITBs RB

Cleaned itbs 2 RB
Cleaned itbs 2 RB

I have also started wiring in my Microsquirt and EDIS.....well to be honest so far I have been trying to extract the motorbike Ignitor unit and fusebox and replace with additional fuses and relays.

Wiring Micrososquirt RB
Wiring Micrososquirt RB

Luckily the Microsquirt docs online are really clear and so once I have pulled all the crap out I no longer need it should be pretty straightforward. Bit limited with what I could do or test until the engine was in so.......

Sunday's job was to get my 2 assistants in and a couple of little jobs like torquing the crank pulley bolt and resealing and fitting the sump were done. Clutch slave cylinder was fitted to the gearbox and the gearbox filler plug loosened so we can fill it once in and it was time to drop the engine and box in......hopefully for the last time.

ITBs in situ1 RB
ITBs in situ1 RB

ITBs engine fitted 2 RB
ITBs engine fitted 2 RB

ITBs side shot RB
ITBs side shot RB

All looking good eh? They look great. Slight issue in that the bonnet clashes with the fuel rail on cylinder 1. This is the furthest forward and basically hits the flat of the bonnet in front of the scoop. So it looks like I will need to cut away the bonnet in front of the scoop and make a larger mesh cover. Always knew clearance was going to be tight. Shame as the rearwards itbs have loads of room above them where the scoop is.

I suspect I may have to run individual filters as opposed to an airbox unless I mod the bonnet massively. I am sure this will look and sound fantastic but not sure of the downsides? Thoughts welcome.

Fitted the manifolds and checked clearance on the steering column. TIGHT!
Manifold clearance RB1
Manifold clearance RB1

Quick shot of the tunnel. Prop fitted and clear of everything Woohoo!. You cans see how high the gearstick sits but I am not concerned about this. A decent gaitor will cover that.
Tunnel final engine fitted RB
Tunnel final engine fitted RB

So a busy week next week getting it all wired and plumbed in. No doubt a few more issues to sort but the clutch is working. Made a custom hose up and in case I haven't mentioned it, am using an MX5 clutch pedal assembly, master and slave cylinders. We jacked the car up and check it is releasing ok. Good pressure and feel so fingers crossed.

Rich

clairetoo

posted on 29/10/12 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

No offence to Claire intended but they had the patina of use.....and quite a lot of orange sealant so I spent an hour cleaning them up a bit.

I dont really do polish , me
I see you have put a filter on the PCV valve........that'll be a bit redundant since nothing will come out or go into that , I'll have to see about turning up a blanking plug .

Looking good now though - I'll chase up the plug leads today

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

rb968

posted on 29/10/12 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Velocity stack/trumpet test fit

The other day whilst trawling eBay I looked at some really cheap intake trumpets and decided with Claire's hand out of action (she was making me a set of carbon ones) I would order one to test fit.

It turned up today. Its aluminium, no taper £2.50 delivered!!! Ok no rolled edge but beggars can't be choosers.

eBay Item

Nipped up to the garage on my lunch hour and cut it down to 40mm and its a perfect tap on fit over the turned down throttle body.

I still need to mod the bonnet obviously and take about 30 mm out in front of the scoop to clear the trumpet, fuel rail and outlet.

I am thinking it might be easier to fasten an individual filter to the aluminium than a carbon trumpet but I guess they are pretty strong?

Rich

[Edited on 29/10/12 by rb968]

clairetoo

posted on 29/10/12 at 02:13 PM Reply With Quote
The thing with individual filters is - they are a power killer , plus you will need to raise the bulge about three inches to clear them.......
I've just ordered some resin and carbon , I think I can do a bit of molding with 1 1/2 hands

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

rb968

posted on 29/10/12 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I know. I was thinking more along the lines of a glorified mesh filter rather than a filter sock.

I will hack the bonnet in front of the scoop and see how it looks above all 6 bodies first

Carbon ones would look good Claire

I think I am struggling for airbox space and don't really fancy hacking the bonnet to bits!

Rich

clairetoo

posted on 29/10/12 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
It looks from the pictures like you have a good inch above the rails - thats about what I have on my Fury , so plenty of space for an airbox

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

rb968

posted on 29/10/12 at 03:34 PM Reply With Quote
Oh well in that case.........that sounds like plan A.
DIY Si

posted on 29/10/12 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Those are almost the same trumpets I have for mine! The only difference is I wanted mine to be sliding fit to the inner edge of the bodies once they're cut back a little to leave a lip for them to seat against. I don't like the idea of having the exposed lip like you do, although it is a much easier option!

The other thing to remember with an airbox is that ideally it would be at least the diameter of the trumpets above them. But this is often easier to achieve than with filters.

PS, any chance of a view of the bottom of the adaptor plate? Curious to see if all the extra work I've put into mine is worth it or not......

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

rb968

posted on 17/2/13 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
It moves!

Finally got to move the Indy back outside and see if it moves under its own V6 powered steam!

Not much of a video, but another milestone.

Rich

rb968

posted on 22/2/13 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Quick update:

Exhausts are now finished with new mounts. First attempts weren't strong enough so new ones are belt and braces strong!

Exhausts worked out pretty well and pretty cheap. Drivers side is VERY close to the fibreglass. It has discoloured slightly so I have added more heat protection and wrap to the joint that is nearly touching.

They are now assembled and sealed hopefully won't leak too much.

Replaced my Koso RX1N with some new Koso gauges as 15k revs is overkill even for the KL engine! Bit disappointed the rev counter is considerably smaller than the speedo for a matching gauge but its my fault for reading the dimensions wrong from the website.

Due to the weird holes I cut for the RX1N I made a small ally plate, covered it in black vinyl and mounted the clocks into it. Covers most of the holes. Went for these because the rev counter has a water temp gauge built in and the Speedo has the same warning lights for indicators, main beam etc as the old RX1N plus fuel gauge and uses all the same existing speed and temp sensors.

Just got the tunnel top to recover in vinyl and I need to make a cover for the gearbox gearstick tail that sticks up through the tunnel.

Getting there......

Rich

[Edited on 22/2/13 by rb968]

silky16v

posted on 22/2/13 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
Good read this, have you planned where you are having your car Mapped?

I'm in cumbria also and shall be in the next week or 2 taking mine to EFI parts for mapping EFI Parts

rb968

posted on 22/2/13 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
Good question........

I had heard good things about Dale at Bailey Performance from others on here so he was a candidate as its on Microsquirt.

Not see EFIParts , have you used them before or had the recommended ? Is yours Megasquirt ECU or Omex /AEM?

I was going to post soon looking for recommendations in the North West. I have a trailer so don't mind dragging it a few miles to the right place.

Rich

rb968

posted on 24/2/13 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
New mirrors fitted. These were a bit of a punt they would be long enough to be visible past the front cage legs but the passenger side just about works. Might put a 15 mm spacer under the fixing to help it out.

New mirrors fitted rb
New mirrors fitted rb

Made a small cover out of some thin steel for the gearbox tail that now sits proud of the tunnel top. It ain't quite as pretty as I envisaged but will do the trick for now. Mk2 version may be needed!
Gearstick surround rb2
Gearstick surround rb2

Took them home and covered the existing tunnel top and the new piece in black vinyl. Looks ok will be fastening a new leather gaitor to the surround.
Covering tunnel cover rb1
Covering tunnel cover rb1

Covering tunnel cover rb2
Covering tunnel cover rb2

Covering gearstick surround rb
Covering gearstick surround rb

Covering tunnel top rb2
Covering tunnel top rb2

Apologies if photo sizes are a bit big. Using my iPad and no idea how to resize them as they come off my iPhone!

Rich

[Edited on 24/2/13 by rb968]

[Edited on 24/2/13 by rb968]

rb968

posted on 25/2/13 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
Interior update.

Installed the recovered tunnel top and gearstick surround and attached the new leather mx5 gaitor I bought off eBay.

New gaitor rb3
New gaitor rb3

New gaitor rb4
New gaitor rb4

New gaitor rb5
New gaitor rb5

Rich

[Edited on 25/2/13 by rb968]

KFC

posted on 7/3/13 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
I've been following your thread, your project looks very nice, near identical to what I want to do. When you get a chance of driving on the road, you'll need to do a video to hear that gorgeous engine! What diff are you running?

Kevin

quote:
Originally posted by rb968
Interior update.

Installed the recovered tunnel top and gearstick surround and attached the new leather mx5 gaitor I bought off eBay.

New gaitor rb3
New gaitor rb3

New gaitor rb4
New gaitor rb4

New gaitor rb5
New gaitor rb5

Rich

[Edited on 25/2/13 by rb968]

rb968

posted on 7/3/13 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Kevin, getting much nearer now. Interior is all back together, seats and harnesses back in.

Even more tie wraps still needed to tidy wiring behind the scuttle and dash.

Oh I can assure you there will be video once its on the road!

Running an open Sierra 3.62 diff. Did the online calcs which came out as below:

Which I don't think look too bad. 75 in 2nd could be interesting ! 80 mph in 5th is 3500rpm so not horrendous.

Can't wait to drive it. I am seriously considering loading it on the trailer and taking it to get tuned on a rolling road though. however I would like to drive it first and autotune a bit just to shake down any minor leaks etc so as not to embarrass myself on a rolling road with bits dropping off!

Rich

rb968

posted on 7/3/13 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
I have adjusted my ride height slightly now the suspension has settled with the KL in place and with an un-chopped sump I have a sump clearance of about 85mm.
Sump height rb98
Sump height rb98

I suspect I might have to chop the sump at some stage but hoping this will be ok while I get it running.

Rich

[Edited on 7/3/13 by rb968]

[Edited on 7/3/13 by rb968]

rb968

posted on 23/4/13 at 02:16 PM Reply With Quote
Finally got the engine mapped yesterday.
Full tale here - http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/9/viewthread.php?tid=180873&page=1?#pid1523448

Great result but loads of niggly things to sort out now that Dale found. Plus the VR sensor packed up right at the end of the day so I have ordered a replacement. Just need the DVLA to pull their finger out and send my V5 back so I can tax it !

Rich

DIY Si

posted on 25/4/13 at 07:52 AM Reply With Quote
Well done that man.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

rb968

posted on 25/4/13 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers mate. New crank sensor from Ford fitted yesterday....fired straight up. Phew!

Can't wait to drive it. Come on DVLA

Rich

rb968

posted on 2/5/13 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Been to Preston today to sort out my tax disc after the DVLA lost my V5C. Thought it rude not to take the car out for my first drive tonight as the weather is nice.

LOUD! Loads of torque. Sliding around in 2nd with a small amount of throttle at low speed. Clutch and gearbox feel great. Engine sounds brilliant and plenty of pops and bangs. Kids on the estate where I keep it were loving it!

I know no video and it never happened. Will sort something out on Monday if we have decent bank holiday. Off to buy a GoPro.

Bloody chuffed to bits. Might have to borrow a sound meter before any trackday action though!

Thank you Dale at Bailey Performance, thank you Clairetoo.

Rich

clairetoo

posted on 2/5/13 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
I found fresh T1R's almost sorted the sliding around........

So glad to hear this is on the road - now get out there and spread the V6 message

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.