mmmmmm I'm glad I don't have to make decisions about stuff like that

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

steve m

posted on 16/10/12 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
My opinion

Send him to the US, hes guilty, end off

tegwin

posted on 16/10/12 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
He is a very talented (if misguided individual)...

Try him in the UK... Find him guilty to please the Americans and then give him a new identity and get him working for the government.... Stupid to waste that sort of talent especially given how vulnerable our digital infrastructure really is to cyber attack at the moment!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

daniel mason

posted on 16/10/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
why should they not send him to us? its crazy. guilty is guilty whether hes suicidal or not.

JoelP

posted on 16/10/12 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
Guilty or not, i would NEVER send a british citizen to face such a ludicrous sentence for a non violent crime. He is a british citizen who allegedly commited a crime on british soil, as such there is no reason to send him to america. Try him in a british court and he'd get a couple of years suspended sentence.

The aspergers aspect is irrelevant to me.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

Simon

posted on 16/10/12 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

Try him in the UK... Find him guilty to please the Americans and then give him a new identity and get him working for the government.... Stupid to waste that sort of talent especially given how vulnerable our digital infrastructure really is to cyber attack at the moment!

Exactly. I'm sure in reality, the Americans are quite pleased that it was just a "nerd with a ufo affliction" rather than some complete utter nutter that really wanted to do some damage.

From what I gather, he's not actually broke any british law, which makes the whole reason for the extradition irrelevant anyway.

ATB

Simon

MRLuke

posted on 16/10/12 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
USA are trying to extradite people from across the world for stupid crap. Megaupload is another example.

On one hand we have radical clerics preaching jihad that we cannot get rid of for years on end on the other hand we are sending computer nerds off for death sentences :s

splitrivet

posted on 16/10/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
The yanks have got double standards when they were funding IRA terrorism to blow up british kids and british cities nothing was done now they think they rule the planet.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

JoelP

posted on 16/10/12 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Equally the case of Chris Tappin annoys me. It seems to me he's innocent and been set up in an FBI sting, but either way, how can they hold people in solitary confinement before their trial? Solitary is clearly a punishment, lights on 24 hours a day, no windows, literally NOTHING to do at all, just an empty box to stare at. Suspects should be held under conditions that respect the fact that they are innocent until proven guilty.

And you really wouldnt want to be at the mercy of an ignorant american jury.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

ash_hammond

posted on 16/10/12 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin

Exactly. I'm sure in reality, the Americans are quite pleased that it was just a "nerd with a ufo affliction" rather than some complete utter nutter that really wanted to do some damage.

From what I gather, he's not actually broke any british law, which makes the whole reason for the extradition irrelevant anyway.

ATB

Simon

+1

.: www.mac1motorsports.co.uk | www.m1moc.com :.

mookaloid

posted on 16/10/12 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
Both sides of the argument here then.... I wonder if any of our members over the other side of the pond have a view?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

TAZZMAXX

posted on 16/10/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
They got Abu Hamza, they're just being greedy now
David Jenkins

posted on 16/10/12 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Maybe what really upset the yanks is the way he showed the world just how bad their computer security really is...

...there is no way an amateur geek should be able to break into - how many? - 90+? - computers without hitting some decent security measures!

bi22le

posted on 16/10/12 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
Apparently what he did was easy. He hit 1000s of computers with known logins and simple emails. He got lucky just playing with numbers. He is not a genious, just read 101 ways to access a PC and relied on dumb ass complacent americans.

What intrigues me is that when asked he said he found proof of teleportation, anti-gravity and various other things.

Why does that not impress people?

My source - BBC Radio 1 news actual voice recordings played throughout today.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

SteveWalker

posted on 16/10/12 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
Apparently what he did was easy. He hit 1000s of computers with known logins and simple emails. He got lucky just playing with numbers. He is not a genious, just read 101 ways to access a PC and relied on dumb ass complacent americans.

What intrigues me is that when asked he said he found proof of teleportation, anti-gravity and various other things.

Teleportation definitely exists and it was reported a few years ago. Don't get excited though, it was only a single particle (or was it sub-particle?)

SteveW

Simon

posted on 16/10/12 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
Slightly ot, but it was one atom at a time. All computers built over the next thousand years won't be enough for the amount of processing power required for a proper transporter

ATB

Simon

Slimy38

posted on 17/10/12 at 06:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Having being exposed to security testing, I have found that the ways into most systems (especially government ones) would be to try the handful of 'default' usernames and passwords.

But anyway, how he did it is one thing, his punishment is another. I have to admit I think he should have been sent to the states. With the current 'global market', I don't think we have an option of trying to maintain our own borders when it comes to sentencing. It's only because the UK is soft on criminals that it would be good for him to stay. Using his aspergers as an excuse is also a joke. I'd expect most 'hackers' to have some sort of condition, it goes with the territory!

I also seem to remember one of Abu Hamza's friends got shipped off to the states, and his crime was also computer hacking. Double standards anyone?

EDIT: Although I can see a benefit to actually employing him, better for him to find the loopholes and get them closed before anyone else can get in!

[Edited on 17/10/12 by Slimy38]

woodster

posted on 17/10/12 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
My opinion

Send him to the US, hes guilty, end off

thats why i didn't want him sent ..... a mans innocent until proven guilty .... he should of been in court here the americans don't have a very good track record on human rights, he could well of ended up on an all inclusive holiday in cuba

FuryRebuild

posted on 17/10/12 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting debate.

One of the key principles at stake here is forum. The US won't extradite its citizens for crimes committed on foreign soil. It's been overdue that we redress this balance. Similarly, the level of proof in the US UK treaty is not balanced, with the burden lower on the US.

I declare an interest now - my son has aspergers and I work in IT (two software degrees, 20+ years experience, acedemic and industry). I know that aspergers kids can do things 'because they can', have irrational, overwhelming obsessions, and I know that they take the world very literally. This does not excuse the crime, but leads me to understand why the home secretary paid attention when one US senator did say words to the effect of "when he gets here we'll fry him" and I can only imagine the Dante-esque images going through McKinnon's mind. This in itself would lead me to think a fair trial wasn't on the cards - again another reason not to extradite.

I also seriously wonder if this wasn't a honey-trap. I would be staggered if genuine secure information was so close to the borders - we call it 'defense in depth' for a reason.

We have to remember that it was difficult to tell where george bushes arse stopped and tony blair's feet began, so it's also a good thing that we are stepping away from these rotten agreements forged in the ashes of 9-11.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

BenB

posted on 17/10/12 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
For me the issue is the "hack". If he had discovered a day-zero vulnerability (which by definition no-one could protect against) and hacked in that way then it would seem reasonable to go for him. If he really did just spam a load of sites with default username:password combinations then he's a script kiddy and if sites don't protect themselves against that then they can't really complain.

An analogy would be the difference between someone breaking into your house using force (which would be breaking and entry) and opening an unlocked door (which wouldn't).

Using default username:password combos is so stupid that it really is the IT equivalent of leaving your front door unlocked.

I can't help but feel the US authorities feel they have to do something because it makes them look awfully stupid!

britishtrident

posted on 17/10/12 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

The in the end yanks setup a honey trap for they knew directories with titles such as UFO, teleportation ant-gravity, area 51 would be irresistible bait. Which on reflection actually proves theyknew he was just a UFO fixated nut job and largely harmless.

Whatever McKinnon has done the Yanks are behaving very badly on extradition, however full marks to who ever managed to get Captain Hook out the country before dealing with the McKinnion issue.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

FuryRebuild

posted on 17/10/12 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:

The in the end yanks setup a honey trap for they knew directories with titles such as UFO, teleportation ant-gravity, area 51 would be irresistible bait. Which on reflection actually proves theyknew he was just a UFO fixated nut job and largely harmless.

Whatever McKinnon has done the Yanks are behaving very badly on extradition, however full marks to who ever managed to get Captain Hook out the country before dealing with the McKinnion issue.

Yrrrr +1 from me

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

MRLuke

posted on 17/10/12 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
The crime was not committed in America, why should he be tried there?

Even his mum is saying she doesnt want him let off, just tried in the country of his birth by his peers.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.