Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Whats the most comfortable car you've owned?
morcus

posted on 18/10/12 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Whats the most comfortable car you've owned?

As per the title really, what is the most comfortable car you've owned or driven?

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

jonabonospen

posted on 18/10/12 at 08:53 AM Reply With Quote
I once had a job where my future boss was so desperate to employ me that I managed to talk him in to letting me have a 54 plate BMW 525d SE as a company car..... and I was only about 26 years old. I loved it. Full leather, lots of toys, and it was by far the nicest ride I have ever had in a car...... well...... that sort of 'ride' anyway.

I have had several other nice cars as company cars since leaving there, but none of them had the quietness and smooth ride as the 5 series.

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
renetom

posted on 18/10/12 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
comfort

For me was a sixties Citroen ID 19
or the DS model.
I have driven Rolls Bentleys & loads of cars over the years
But my old Citroen was by far the most comfortable.

morcus

posted on 18/10/12 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
My dad said exactly the same thing about his old CX, and he's driven Jags and Rollers too.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

clairetoo

posted on 18/10/12 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
Alfa 164 for me - full leather , air con , automatic climate control and electric everything...........oh , and Gods own engine
I just didnt want to get out of it !

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Agriv8

posted on 18/10/12 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Audi 57 plate A6 avant ( on 17 inch rims ) when it is working see my post here

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=175428

but for a long distance mile cruser can get the seat just right stick cruse controll on on board Satnav and a 5 cd full of favorite MP3 tracks its a good place to be I would have number 3 when the time comes. but after my last dealing with Audi Main stealer it may be time for a change. Comfortably do 1k miles to france on holls over 2 days with family DVD headrests ( and bluetooth headphones for kids ) cruise control set at 80 auto wippers, lights.

Regards

Agriv8

[Edited on 18/10/12 by Agriv8]

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

splitrivet

posted on 18/10/12 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Austin Princess not the one the queen mummy used to go round in, the 70's model, it was like driving around on a big sofa. Trouble was you had to keep getting out to put more fuel in it.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

loggyboy

posted on 18/10/12 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Lexus IS200 was pretty smooth.
But for budget comfort my £37.50 (yes decimal place is right) Triumph Acclaim, that was like driving a sofa!

Mistral Motorsport

johnny chimpo

posted on 18/10/12 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
A few years ago i was given a h-reg 1.8 sierra sapphire for free from one of my mates. It was such a comfy car, didnt have loads of toys but felt like you were driving about on your sofa. I ran it for 6 months and it was excellent realy wish i hadnt got rid of it.
johnemms

posted on 18/10/12 at 09:24 AM Reply With Quote
Loved my old CX...
[img][/img]

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

Agriv8

posted on 18/10/12 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Had a couple of Citeon BX's in my time when the Hydro S***tic suspension worked carpet ride ( good for hitting Sleeping policemen at silly Speeds as well )

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

franky

posted on 18/10/12 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Lexus is220d. I think its the air conditioned seats, nothing like having your balls blown at 70mpg
loggyboy

posted on 18/10/12 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by franky
Lexus is220d. I think its the air conditioned seats, nothing like having your balls blown at 70mpg

Lol, i had one of those (well a 250) as a curtesy car while my IS200 was being service. It was the middle of july and very hot, the aircon seats were SUPERB! I also liked the reversing camera which showed you were your current steering angle would place the car

Mistral Motorsport

hughpinder

posted on 18/10/12 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
Depends what you're looking for - do you mean comfortable as in ride/seat, or luxurious: Some cars are great when you spen most of your time stuck in a traffic jam, but are rubbish at speed or on twisty roads because they roll so much.
My favourites:
Jag XJ40 probably the best for those huge touring trips across europe on fast/ good roads
A BMW 3 or 5 series for long distance/more twisty stuff,
My Mk2 cortina had horrid, hard plastic seats, and rolled like it had no suspension when you pressed on a bit, but the seats shape suited the curve of my back perfectly and its the only car I've never got backache in after a couple of hours (despite the fact I always look for lumbar support adjustable seats etc), so that would probably be the best if I was going to take a job as a taxi driver! The honda Accords is a pretty comfortable place to sit too, but rolls too much on corners and I don't like the handling much. The audis I've driven (various A3 and A4 models) all had hard suspension and were noisy/crashy/tiring to drive compared to the equivalent era BMWs (on the country lanes and A roads where I drive most) - this wont matter if you drive mostly in towns or motorways though.
Regards
Hugh

zilspeed

posted on 18/10/12 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Anything with a torquey engine and an autobox makes me relax and we're already halfway there.
I also tend to avoid large wheels with unyeilding small sidewall tyres.
A size down in rim and a bit up in sidewall every time for me.

Anti fashion.

On that basis.
Current car, Passat B6, 2.0 TDI, 16" (not the cooler looking 18" rims, DSG transmission.
It's more comfortable than lying in bed.
It's no sportscar but can make progress.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 18/10/12 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
My S class Merc, was the most comfortable car ive owned, just sold it a couple of months ago, which I regret .

[img] s class
s class
[/img]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 18/10/12 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
my old S reg v70 AWD turbo. Best Car Ive ever had

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

emwmarine

posted on 18/10/12 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Best seats in a car I have had was two Volvo v70's.

Second best seats and most comfortable overall was a top spec disco II.

Building a Dax Rush.

mookaloid

posted on 18/10/12 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
My Saab 9-5 is pretty good

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

mcerd1

posted on 18/10/12 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
driven: my dad's disco 3 in bog std. spec

owned: probably an xr4x4 that I never had on the road (got it for a donor but never used it) - it was quite comfy at 70mph on a stubble field even with 2 broken springs :lol:
but if that doesn't count then it'll have to be my mk1 focus

you might have guessed that comfort is not a big factor in my car choices - I'm driving a 1989 landrover 110 at the moment while my focus is off the road (again ) in preference to the disco 3...
I don't like most the sort of disconnected feeling you get from driving some of the 'comfortable' cars

[Edited on 18/10/2012 by mcerd1]

-

Mr Whippy

posted on 18/10/12 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
my current car the nissan bluebird, unlike modern cars the seats are big and really soft, suspensions soft too and very light steering. Haven't been in a modern car that matched it, even BMW's. Fantastic for long distances

Most uncomfortable would be my SIII Landy, it's just horrid! the most unpleasent ride it could have and the inside is just awful, duct tape everywhere, holes in the seats and so noisy it's pointless to fit a radio and smells like the inside of an oil drum. About 50miles and I've got a headache

chalk and cheese the pair of them

[Edited on 18/10/12 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RickRick

posted on 18/10/12 at 11:31 AM Reply With Quote
e39 5 series touring with cloth interior, i could drive that thing all day long, its already got 180k on and still a nice smooth quiet ride, and i've slept in the boot many times, which is also quite comfy, but it bit cold sometimes!
whitestu

posted on 18/10/12 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Had a couple of Citeon BX's in my time when the Hydro S***tic suspension worked carpet ride ( good for hitting Sleeping policemen at silly Speeds as well )

Citroen GSA for the same reason. The faster you go the more huge bumps just disappear!

owelly

posted on 18/10/12 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
2005 Range Rover Vogue. The whole family would stay sat in it rather than go in the house. You could use the remote to pre-heat the seats and cabin or set a timer. I really miss the heated steering wheel...

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
twybrow

posted on 18/10/12 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Most comfy - Volvo 440 - super comfy seats, and very soft suspension!

Most comfortable mile muncher - Volvo 960 LWB 3.0l with slush box and all the toys... You could cover whole continents without feeling tired. We drove 3000 miles in 4 days and still felt well enought to party hard each night!

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.