Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: best paint for powder coat repair?
nadwgbr

posted on 24/10/12 at 06:26 AM Reply With Quote
best paint for powder coat repair?

hi all....have searched the threads and net and found reliable info a bit sketchy to come across on this so am asking if anyone has some first hand experience of painting over powder coat....and what kind of results they got and what paint/prep they found most effective.
A quick synopsis of the situation is i have an old powder coated chassis that has been sat untouched in someones garage for about 10 years...it now has a mild 'freckling' of what looks like surface rust on quite a few of the tubes.. Ideally i want to rub it down/wire brush it on all the rusty spots and treat with an inhibitor.... then repaint the Whole chassis over the exisiting powder coat to make it look presentable again. Anyone already done this? And if so how succesful were your results and what paint/prep did you find worked best over the powder coat?? Cheers in advance guys.....

Andybarbet

posted on 24/10/12 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
I cant be much help here but i am interested in the replies, my chassis is powder coated but would be nice to know how to patch it up if i need too
loggyboy

posted on 24/10/12 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
Trouble with powdercoat is its hard to sand down to get a smooth joint, so where you go from areas that need stripping to those that dont, you end up with a step, which is impossible to blend, but also leaves an edge of powdercoat that could be prone to flaking.
You'd be better of taking the time to strip the whole chassis to bare then recoating or repainting.

Mistral Motorsport

dhutch

posted on 24/10/12 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
I guess it depends on two things.
- How much you really care waht it looks like, if it needs to be dead smooth, or if you jus want matt black and rush free.
- How well adheared the powdercoat is, and if said rust is coming through pinholes in sound paint, or holes in failed paint.

Ive certainly seen sheets of powdercoat come off where is just hasnt stuck. My roll bar for instance is three years old and going in all the areas its hard to get to, presumably because it was poorly prepaired.

If it where me I would be very tempted to have the lot shot blasted back to bright steel and painted in a two pack polyurethane system but that wont happen for free.

Daniel

Davey D

posted on 24/10/12 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
Ive done a few touch ups where ive done some modifications on my chassis, and also where ive fitted new items that bolt onto powder coated areas, and i think the best match is the plasticote Satin black paint. The Halfords own brand satin black isnt too bad either. Covers well, and a bit cheaper

The worst i have used by a looooong shot is the Hammerite smooth Satin black. It really doesnt cover well. Its like there isnt enough black pigment in the paint, and needs lots of paint to cover areas.. so much paint that you are more likely to get runs forming before you get an even black covering of paint

rusty nuts

posted on 24/10/12 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
I can't believe you have a Luego with crap powder coating, I thought I was the only one. Mine was falling off in sheets and I ended up stripping the car down to the bare chassis , stripping off the powder coating using paint stripper , the chassis and all of the suspension was then shot blasted by a guy in Fulbourn, it then had 3 coats of Por15 from Frosts auto restoration followed by 2 top coats of their Hardnose paint before rebuilding the car . IMHO the problem stems from lack of preparation before the chassis was powdercoated, had I have known I wouldn't have had it powder coated. Hand painting as I have done it looks as good as powdercoating and is a lot more durable. If you haven't started to build the car now is the time to strip the chassis and suspension , save yourself some grief .Where abouts in Cambridge are you? I'm in Shelford
nadwgbr

posted on 24/10/12 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
hi all........not sure how to add a photo into the thread so have uploaded one into my photo archive instead.....take a look and let me know what you think.. As for how much i want to take off and how pretty i want it to look, i want to take enough off to be able to treat it maybe with some kind of inhibitor and stop it getting any worse, and as for how pretty i want it to look, i'm not that fussed as all the affected tubes will actualy be hidden beneath the body panels....powder coating on the roll bar and other exposed sections is still in pretty good nick, but once/if i start rubbing down and repainting it would make sense to do the whole thing i guess...........especially as am planning on changing the whole thing to black anyway... Still unsure if a decent wire brushing/sanding and repaint would do the job, but very interested to hear from anyone that's successfully tackled a similar condition without full chassis re-strip to bare metal and re-powder/paint from scratch...

and Rusty, i am in cambridge city....kings hedges area..... How does my photo compare to what you had going on on your chassis? U2U me and maybe we can sort out a visit for you to come and have a proper nose at some point.....all input welcome!

loggyboy

posted on 24/10/12 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nadwgbr
hi all........not sure how to add a photo into the thread so have uploaded one into my photo archive instead

once its uploaded to your archive, click on it and in the top left should be the details, you can either copy the pg ref in to a post or the IMG tag.

Like so

[pg ]94291[/ pg] (remove the spaces and it appears like so:

Mistral Motorsport

loggyboy

posted on 24/10/12 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
That looks like very thin Powdercoar, almost like its a light coat of spray paint

Mistral Motorsport

MRLuke

posted on 25/10/12 at 12:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
That looks like very thin Powdercoar, almost like its a light coat of spray paint

Agreed, doesnt look like powder coat at all :s

ReMan

posted on 25/10/12 at 06:18 AM Reply With Quote
My touch ups have been done using a paint I picked up from a kit show years ago
Its called "origiplate" I think and is a satin black with etching.
It was sold to me as "wot they use on engine ancillaries,starters and stuff"
Ive found it cover and stick well and be a good match for the powder coat where it falls off. It has proven durable to and with little (no) prep has not fallen off again

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

rusty nuts

posted on 25/10/12 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
It's only going to get worse as I found out , tried touching it up with various paints but ended up stripping it all off. There are a couple of "problems " with Luego's if you haven't already seen them , One is the suspension crush tubes , another is the rear uprights can bend , Do a search on both , it will save you some grief.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.