Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Want to remove my pinto dizzy and fuel pump
david_l_perry

posted on 25/10/12 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
Want to remove my pinto dizzy and fuel pump

My Pinto runs a Mega Jolt system and Bike carbs/bike fuel pump.

The original dizzy and fuel pump are doing nothing other than getting in the way.

I want to remove them both and spotted blanking plugs for the distributor from trigger wheels:-

blanking plug

Question for anybody that has done this :-

Can I just remove the Distributor and fuel pump and blank them over, or does anything else need removing

Ta in advance

Dave

[Edited on 25/10/12 by david_l_perry]

Mid life crisis made me buy a Robin Hood 2B, 2.1Pinto with ZX6 carbs - now fitted with a Jag SType 3.0 V6Loving it !

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dingz

posted on 25/10/12 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Pump will be fine there will be a push rod which operates the pump that can be removed. The dizzy drives the oil pump so you can't just remove that, I think most people just shorten it I'm sure someone will be along to tell you how.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

mcerd1

posted on 25/10/12 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
fuel pump is no problem - the stock EFI pinto's just have a blanking plate and no pushrod

burtons sell new blanking plates if you can't find a new one: linky

the dizzy is a different story, its also the oil pump drive ! (unless you have a dry sump)

you can cut it down, as long as you keep the top bearing, like this:

[Edited on 25/10/2012 by mcerd1]

-

david_l_perry

posted on 26/10/12 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys. On with the replacement cut down dizzy....well more accurately my father is turning it down for me. You have to keep the old folks busy !

Mid life crisis made me buy a Robin Hood 2B, 2.1Pinto with ZX6 carbs - now fitted with a Jag SType 3.0 V6Loving it !

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 29/10/12 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
what kind of dizzy is it ?

is it the points type or the electronic type ?

-

david_l_perry

posted on 29/10/12 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

Never had the top off...pretty sure its just the standard points though

The car was changed over to the Megajolt system long before I bought it

mitch2b

posted on 29/10/12 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Dave, use the one i already had done, just machine to fit bearing, (dizzy is electronic, no points ) that reminds me must collect the spare as it belongs to Brian , in standish !

Mitch

mcerd1

posted on 29/10/12 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by david_l_perry
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

Never had the top off...pretty sure its just the standard points though

The car was changed over to the Megajolt system long before I bought it

if its got a vac. advance and electronic internals there is still a little bit of demand for these form places like H&H ignition (its the half way step between points and megajolt)

if its the points type not many people want them, but some one might so they sell for a few £ in working nick

and if its the late style electronic ones nobody wants these (no vac advance and only a HAL sensor for the ECU inside)
so they are worth nothing and the perfect candidate for cutting down

-

david_l_perry

posted on 29/10/12 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mitch2b
.....that reminds me must collect the spare as it belongs to Brian , in standish !

Mitch

No worries Mitch

As soon as its replaced I will let you know and he can have the complete working dizzy unit back (the one that is still on the engine)

I knocked out the top bearing lining on the spare parts box dizzy and am using that rather than a separate roller bearing. So the dizzy bearing arrangement remains exactly as it always has been, only the shaft is shortened and a new cap will be sorted to cover it over.

Dave

david_l_perry

posted on 10/11/12 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
All done and working like a treat. The old man made quick work of boring out the cut down dizzy and remounting the top bearing.

I then cut down the original Dizzy shaft a couple of mm short of the top.

This was so that the rubber cap I was fitting over the top would not rub against the shaft, and it also gives a little reservoir for some oil to help keep it lubed.

The redundant fuel pump was replaced with a blanking plate

Top job and gets rid of two other parts of the engine that are taking up real estate

And here is a shot of my tight fitting black rubber knob that helps keep the lubed shaft clear of Dirt

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.