Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fitting GRP seats - advice pls!
jps

posted on 1/11/12 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Fitting GRP seats - advice pls!

I've got some GRP seats from MEV/Road-Track-Race which I am going to stick into my Haynes Roadster chassis. I need to have them in situ so I can work out where I will put box section across the chassis to hold the seat runners...

I've never worked with GRP before so - any tips on:
a) how to drill out the holes
b) the right size holes to drill (i've realised that I need to put some 'penny' washers to try and spread the load across the material.
c) whether or not I am on a hiding to nothing trying to use the seat runners from my Sierra donor car.
d) anything obvious i've missed...

Thanks in anticipation!!!

pmc_3

posted on 1/11/12 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've never mounted any in a kit car. I used to race karts that had Tillet fibreglass seats and they were always mounted on nylon spacers as they have a bit of give and are less likely to crack the seats. I would have thought it would be pretty similar.
daviep

posted on 1/11/12 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pmc_3
I've never mounted any in a kit car.

Don't worry all it takes is a bit of technique and certain kind of lady

I'll get my coat

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

pmc_3

posted on 1/11/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
quote:
Originally posted by pmc_3
I've never mounted any in a kit car.

Don't worry all it takes is a bit of technique and certain kind of lady

I'll get my coat

pmsl! I can imagine the roll bar would come in handy

daviep

posted on 1/11/12 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
On a more serious note I would have a second thought about whether you really need seat runners, generaly everybody tries to get the seat mounted as low as possible.

What is your floor made of? If it is 2mm aluminium or thicker then there is no need weld in box section the floor is quite strong enough, presuming the floor is well fixed to the chassis.

With regard to bolts I would use 4x M8 bolts with repair washers and nyloc nuts.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

jps

posted on 1/11/12 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by daviep
On a more serious note I would have a second thought about whether you really need seat runners, generaly everybody tries to get the seat mounted as low as possible.

What is your floor made of? If it is 2mm aluminium or thicker then there is no need weld in box section the floor is quite strong enough, presuming the floor is well fixed to the chassis.

With regard to bolts I would use 4x M8 bolts with repair washers and nyloc nuts.

Cheers
Davie

Funnily enough the plan for the floor is currently... ....to use an old pub sign that i've salvaged! It's a massive aluminium sheet - from memory i'd guess roughly 3mm thick. I was just wondering if it mattered at all what grade it was, etc and whether i'd really need to find some 'proper' material for the floor...

40inches

posted on 1/11/12 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
What Davie says is correct, however, I welded in mounting tubes with crush pads and fitted runners. But that's
just me Just the right height for MK seat belt mounts
Brake line
Brake line
Seat base runners
Seat base runners
Description
Description

Talkiet

posted on 2/11/12 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
I recently had to mount a pair of (essentially) fibreglass seats in my car. It had box section initially but I needed to get lower so I cut out the box section and had a laser cut bit of 5mm steel welded in. Great result and I'm sure it's strong as H&*l but I think probably overkill...

There was also a diagonal that I had to cut out which I don't think was strictly necessary but I didn't want to remove any stiffness...

After this I just drilled an M8 hole for the seats and bolted them in with an M8 and Nylock, with a penny washer top and bottom.

After cutting out the box section

Making the design and taking measurements

Laser cut bits in place

Cheers - N

[Edited on 2/11/12 by Talkiet]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.