Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: O/T - Model Spraying
Daddylonglegs

posted on 5/11/12 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
O/T - Model Spraying

I've decided it's time to start building some of the models I've collected over the past couple of years and not got around to making. Had a small task of finishing a kit car and getting it OTR

Just wondered what the collective reckon is a good value-for-money choice for basic modelling airbrushes? Nothing fancy, just want to get a reasonable finish. I used to have one many moons ago and got some really good finishes on my Tamiya F1 collection.

Any recommendations welcome (as long as they are not Uber costly )

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/11/12 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
well I use the Citadel Spray Gun which is for the war hammer models as it works very well and is very easy to clean. Need plenty of jars though. I find the big air cans sufficient for plastic model kits. Not needed an air compressor yet

tried the Badger Airbrush, pile of crap with rubbish results pita to clean too

I'm doing the 1:350 polar lights Uss Enterprise (3 ft long!) just now which I've fitted a lighting kit too but omg there is so much painting and masking to do it's driving me nuts, it's been almost a year and I've only done the saucer section!

[Edited on 5/11/12 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ditchlewis

posted on 5/11/12 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
I also need to get back to model building again as I have some three hundred to finish. I use an Aztec and a compressor. Not cheap Aztec are about eighty pounds with one nozzle.
I always used to use a cheap bagger airbrush and got good results. If you use a compressor you do need a moisture trap.
Someone here at work bought a cheap copy of an expensive brush and could not get a good finish.
I think you should buy the best you can afford.
Ditch

tilly819

posted on 5/11/12 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Not really what you are after but i use an IWATA, absolutely fantastic 10 year guarantee really is the "snap on" of air brushes

If you really get into it i would highly recommend one but they start at about £100 :/

One thing i would consider is if you plan on chaining color often a suction pot one is more use than a gravity feed since you can have pots of pre mixed color then just swap them over which a quick suck threw of cleaner in between

Cheers

tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

Mr Whippy

posted on 5/11/12 at 01:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ditchlewis
I also need to get back to model building again as I have some three hundred to finish.

300!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
tilly819

posted on 5/11/12 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
just found this might be interesting if you are willing to spend a few extra pennies

Iwata Revolution BR airbrush

tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

ditchlewis

posted on 5/11/12 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
I think three hundred is a low estimate ooops. Nearly all are ww2 aircraft. Many rare and limited edition.
The wife is very understanding.

jollygreengiant

posted on 5/11/12 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
You know its funny that this subject should come up, 'cos I've got a couple that I want/got to get done as well. I shall be looking to recreate one of these two shots in 1:24 scale.

and /or

Both of these photo's were taken about the time my Dad was out there and these are all aircraft that he flew. Hence, GOTTA BE DONE. Preferably as diaramas. Should be fun.

EDIT BIT
I do hope that Chris gets the gremlin out of the photo bit soon.

[Edited on 5/11/12 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

ditchlewis

posted on 5/11/12 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
1/24 scale will be HUGE i have the airfix hurricane and BF109 and there is no room to put them. i personally would go for 1/48 scale and use eduard detailing sets for complete engines and gun bays (etched brass and resin).

im starting to look at 1/144 scale for 4 engined bombers as this will require less display space (wife is understanding but not that understanding)

ditch

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.