Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Chassis. Which is best and why?
rdodger

posted on 22/11/12 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Chassis. Which is best and why?

I have been reading the topic about removing a tube in the chassis to fit the engine and it got me thinking about the different chassis designs.

Lotus, Caterham, MK, MNR, MAC#1 etc and the book chassis. They all have similarities, but some are quite different in terms of bracing etc. Round or square tube?

So... which is best?
Why?
How can they be improved?
What have you done?

loggyboy

posted on 22/11/12 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
String - how long is it?

Mistral Motorsport

phelpsa

posted on 22/11/12 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
Popcorn at the ready

It depends what you want your car to do. None of them are very good off road.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RK

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
OK, I'll go! The real answer is "I don't know" but as usual, that won't stop me! Square is easier to weld (apparently), than round, and makes fitting body work easier. I am fairly certain that as long as the required welding is done, and there are the requisite amounts of bracing, round is no better than square. I think that the Aussie mods will give you a pretty stiff, safe chassis, so check what that is, exactly and go from there. I don't see how you can go wrong with it anyways.

I am not an engineer!

ReMan

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
MK is the best chassis and I should know I've got one
Delight
Delight

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

deezee

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Lets all guess until the loudest person wins. The Haynes Roadster is the best because science made it with maths and then magic took place and it was promoted to the finest sports car. More torsional rigidity than a Mclaren F1 and aerodynamically better than a F14 Tomcat.

Hope this helps.

mookaloid

posted on 22/11/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
one day it's my ambition to build a live axle striker - or a caterham - either would be at the top of my list for "bestness"

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

big_l

posted on 22/11/12 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
Surely the MNR is right up there the quality is Awsome and very nicely disigned but quality comes with a price tag !!

Check out my blog mnrvortxhayabusa@blogspot.com

Talon Motorsport

posted on 22/11/12 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
The best chassis is one that does the job that you ask of it at the price that you can afford. And that is probably the most sensible thing I ever said on here.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
daniel mason

posted on 22/11/12 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
after driving loads of sevens. the caterham is by far the best balanced and well sorted. but very very small in comparison to the others mentioned.
could all be down to setup.but it really feels a well sorted chassis!

JekRankin

posted on 22/11/12 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
If I ever decide to own another kit, it'll be a used Caterham. I've discovered that I like well developed components and quality of fit and finish too much to bother with many of the cheaper kits!

[Edited on 23/11/12 by JekRankin]

daniel mason

posted on 22/11/12 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
my s3 is a tight squeeze. im only 5 10" and 12 1/2 stone.

hughpinder

posted on 23/11/12 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
Ok, I'll also light the blue touchpaper -
Sylva J15, I believe one passed the aussie test unmodified, which I don't think anything else has with a standard chassis (of what I consider to be a kit - cateringvans are too dear).
If you want the square tube vs round debate in summary - a 25mm *1.5mm square tube has the same nomimal bending strength as a 25mm*1.5 round tube, so round is better as its would be lighter for the same strength, but a square tube has (4/3.14159...) times the weld area at each join and is easier to attach panels to and also to make jigs to assemble it accurately, so square is better. A whole chassis in square comes in about 65kg painted, so I guess a round tube chassis would be 12-15kg less. I wouldn't worry whick it is unless I was racing at the top end where the weight reduction of round may be worthwhile. (next you should ask if aluminum tube is better or T45....)
DAX cars seem to be nicely made last time I looked properly.
Regards
Hugh

franky

posted on 23/11/12 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go for anything by Jeremy Phillips or caterham.
mcerd1

posted on 23/11/12 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hughpinder
DAX cars seem to be nicely made last time I looked properly.

the chassis is nice
and they are quite big/wide and the eingine sits a bit further back compaired to some, but they arn't quite as light
they also have quite alot of bracing:
Rush Chassis
Rush Chassis

maybe more bracing than it really needs but I don't think I'd be happy with a RH B2 chassis:

besides the dax must be the best as they are based on german engineering (started out as a Mohr Rush)
{runs for cover }

-

phelpsa

posted on 23/11/12 at 11:33 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
If you want the square tube vs round debate in summary - a 25mm *1.5mm square tube has the same nomimal bending strength as a 25mm*1.5 round tube, so round is better as its would be lighter for the same strength

IIRC last time I checked you needed 28mm round tube to get the same 2nd moment of area as an equivalent walled 25mm square tube, giving you a weight saving of 13% for round.

The difference of round vs square is negligible compared to actual chassis design and member placement.

[Edited on 23-11-12 by phelpsa]

Hellfire

posted on 23/11/12 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
Caterham.

Phil

Alfa145

posted on 23/11/12 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Roadrunner SR2
umgrybab

posted on 25/11/12 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
quote:
If you want the square tube vs round debate in summary - a 25mm *1.5mm square tube has the same nomimal bending strength as a 25mm*1.5 round tube, so round is better as its would be lighter for the same strength

IIRC last time I checked you needed 28mm round tube to get the same 2nd moment of area as an equivalent walled 25mm square tube, giving you a weight saving of 13% for round.

The difference of round vs square is negligible compared to actual chassis design and member placement.

I always knew a square tube was way stiffer in bending and I just ran the calcs on this, and for the 25mm square tube with a 1.5mm wall thickness, the equivalent round tube with a 1.5mm wall thickness would need to be 52.5mm in diameter. This does not answer everything as how often do you have a member in pure bending? Hopefully never is the correct answer. Like said above, chassis design and member placement is much more important.

phelpsa

posted on 25/11/12 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by umgrybab
quote:
Originally posted by phelpsa
quote:

I always knew a square tube was way stiffer in bending and I just ran the calcs on this, and for the 25mm square tube with a 1.5mm wall thickness, the equivalent round tube with a 1.5mm wall thickness would need to be 52.5mm in diameter. This does not answer everything as how often do you have a member in pure bending? Hopefully never is the correct answer. Like said above, chassis design and member placement is much more important.

I've just done the calcs and got 30mm OD for equivalent wall thickness.

jossey

posted on 25/11/12 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Best chassis is the one you build yourself. :-)

Tiger chassis's are good cos everyone is slightly different lol

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

garybee

posted on 25/11/12 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to go the other way to everyone else and say...NOT a Ginetta G27

It is absolutely awful. It's so bad that I actually had to cut out the section between the rear suspension turrets and weld in something that I would be happy to bolt my seat belts to (original was simply not safe). As for the rest of it, one day I will give the car a full roll cage and a proper transmission tunnel to give it some shred of rigidity.

scootz

posted on 27/8/13 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by garybee
I'm going to go the other way to everyone else and say...NOT a Ginetta G27

It is absolutely awful. It's so bad that I actually had to cut out the section between the rear suspension turrets and weld in something that I would be happy to bolt my seat belts to (original was simply not safe). As for the rest of it, one day I will give the car a full roll cage and a proper transmission tunnel to give it some shred of rigidity.

Thread revival - I'm surprised to read that you think the Ginetta chassis is so sloppy as they have a strong heritage of building proper racecars!

It's Evolution Baby!

scootz

posted on 27/8/13 at 09:46 PM Reply With Quote
PS - I found this thread when searching for 'torsional rigidity'.

I see the Quantum Xtreme (of which I have a renewed vested interest in) has a torsional stiffness in excess of 4000nm. What would be the norm for a typical 7-style spaceframe?

It's Evolution Baby!

britishtrident

posted on 27/8/13 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by umgrybab

I think you need to check the maths again

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.