Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Router Help Needed
serieslandy

posted on 23/11/12 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
Router Help Needed

Hi Guys,
I've got a sky router and untill last night it was fine.
For some reason the router will now no longer allow new connections, it will allow my laptop on wireless only (but it does take a long time to aquire the network address), on lan it says connection error.
It will also allow my iphone to connect.
It won't allow my ipad to connect, I can put the password in and it attempts to connect but never manages.
I'm also trying to connect my new cctv recorder and failing to get that to connect as well.

I rang sky tonight and after getting annoyed on hold I got through. Said there was a prob with the router so he wanted to do line tests, rang back on my mob and said i would be on hold about 2mins...........30mins later, with the worst hold music ever I gave up and hang up.

Ive tried doing a hard reset, pulling the power loads of times and nothing has helped.

Does anyone have any ideas on what might be wrong or is the router nackered and heading for the bin?

mookaloid

posted on 23/11/12 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
It sounds like you are having problems with the wireless connections.

I would certainly try a different router to see if that cures it - failing that try a separate wireless access point.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Brett Jones

posted on 23/11/12 at 08:42 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried reset using the button on the back of the router, I think you need to hold it in for a 10 seconds or so.

http://mnrvtecvortxbuild.blogspot.co.uk/

serieslandy

posted on 23/11/12 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I've used the reset on the back of the router. Didn't help just deleted my port forwarding and dyndns settings.

The problem is also on wired connections as well as wireless

pmc_3

posted on 23/11/12 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Have you updated the ipad to IOS6? only reason I ask is that a lot of places I deal with after updating iphones/ipads they will no longer connect to the wireless on certain networks.

One of the guys in our office updated his iphone and it would no longer connect to the office wireless, he got sent a new iphone exactly the same. We setup a different brand access point with exactly the same security settings and it works perfectly so seems hit and miss. Want to know apples solution? buy an airport.....

[Edited on 23/11/12 by pmc_3]

serieslandy

posted on 23/11/12 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
The ipad is on ios6 and has been since it was launched the other week, untill last night it has been working fine.
It seems strange to me that my laptop and phone are fine (if verrrrrry slow to connect), but the mrs phone and ipad won't connect.

Ive reset the router again (once in the browser settings and once on the rear of the router).

I think i'll have to endure the technical support on the phone again tomorrow night when I get in from work.

scottfraser

posted on 23/11/12 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like a hard reset is in order.

From time to time wifi routers get confused about all the filtering they have to do. The normal thing that resolves the problem is to pull the power lead out the back, and keen it out for at least 30-seconds. Then plug back in and don't do anything until you've got at least three green light on the front.

what's probably happening is a new person in the area has the same default name as you, so it gets a bit confused.

Google & download "inssider" and you'll see how crowded your local area is. I do this from time to time to find out who's cramping my bandwidth. I then edit my wifi router to be a differnet chanel to the neighbours. The automatic setup from sky does not pick the best chanels IMHO

The result is I seldom have problems

I'd show you a pic of my local area on wifi but I can't figure out how to attach a pic.

britishtrident

posted on 23/11/12 at 11:32 PM Reply With Quote
More than possible the channel your router has got over crowded if you have an Android phone download the Wifi Analyser app and use it survey the channels in use in your street. Usually Channel 1 gets the most use because it is the default channel for new routers. Channels 6,7 or 8 are worth a try

Also the routers SKY use sometimes (ie quite often) go belly up and give a weak signal after a few years use they are pretty good at sending out new routers if you phone the help line.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

serieslandy

posted on 23/11/12 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scottfraser

what's probably happening is a new person in the area has the same default name as you, so it gets a bit confused.

Google & download "inssider" and you'll see how crowded your local area is. I do this from time to time to find out who's cramping my bandwidth. I then edit my wifi router to be a differnet chanel to the neighbours. The automatic setup from sky does not pick the best chanels IMHO

The result is I seldom have problems

I'd show you a pic of my local area on wifi but I can't figure out how to attach a pic.

I doubt it's a local network, as I live on a farm with one neighbour, 1/4 from anyone else. Not even on mains sewers
I'll try pulling the power anything is worth a try not to stay on hold. I'll also see if my bro-in law has a spare router as he is on sky too

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 24/11/12 at 10:13 AM Reply With Quote
To make the iPad work properly you need to turn off QOS (Quality of service) on your router and then give the router a reboot.

The other thing to do is change the wireless channel (someone else has mentioned this below) - I normally use 7, but this depends on how many other routers are on this channel in your area.

There is another thing you can do with Europe / US settings if this doesn't work - do the above first and let me know.

serieslandy

posted on 24/11/12 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barkalarr
To make the iPad work properly you need to turn off QOS (Quality of service) on your router and then give the router a reboot.

The other thing to do is change the wireless channel (someone else has mentioned this below) - I normally use 7, but this depends on how many other routers are on this channel in your area.

There is another thing you can do with Europe / US settings if this doesn't work - do the above first and let me know.

There is no QoS on the sky routers so couldnt turn that off, and changed my wireless to channel 7 but that still didn't help.

Phoned sky and the guy was much more helpfull, did a line test and there is something wrong at my exchange................but that still doesn't explain why I'm getting problems with my router. He didn't seem to grasp that.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.