Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How many seats
omega 24 v6

posted on 26/11/12 at 11:35 PM Reply With Quote
How many seats

As per usuall the gov have created so many rules for cars and trailers and worded them bloody awkwardly (And according to the site its changing again in 2013) so here are the questions

Link to the gov pages
gov site

1 If I bought a landy 110 csw with 9 or 11 or 12 seats. Under a class B licence ( like the kids have) they cannot drive it (They can only drive up to 8 seaters).

2 If i take out the rear load arae seats and belts can they then drive it?? It'll still say 9/11/12 seats on the v5 and in the dvla database if mr PC checks online. Clearly with seats and belts removed its not ACTUALLY a 9/11/12 seater ( But it IS on paper)

3 No 1 son (21) has passed his trailer test and has B+E entitlement which covers him for a combined weight of over 3500kg ( BUT no max or limit is listed on the site ) I'm guesing that as a rule it'll be twice the unladen vehicle weight. So with say a landy or a disco its gonna be about 4 tonnes max.

4 As an aside I always thought that my class C1+E and D1+E covered me up to a vehicle of 7500kg and a trailer of 750 KG BUT reading online tonight It SEEMS I can have a gross train of 7500 + 4500 kg trailer giving a max of 12000kg. Anyone care to comment on that little lot?

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

PSpirine

posted on 26/11/12 at 11:41 PM Reply With Quote
You can get a LICENSE FOR A LAWNMOWER?! (Category K)

umgrybab

posted on 27/11/12 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
And a tank! (category H)
cliftyhanger

posted on 27/11/12 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
On the seats front, I think you will have to change the number of seats on the paperwork, and remove the seat mountings in teh vehicle if they want to be fussy.
We had this at skool, we used to (years ag) unbolt the last few rows of seats to make them into 8 seaters. However, guidance was issued that it had to be a permanent change etc.

russbost

posted on 27/11/12 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
I seem to remember something about this from years ago when I was MoT testing, I think you may need to take it to a class 5 testing station (buses & coaches) & get them to check that belt & seat mounts have been removed then they will issue paperwork you send to DVLA to get the V5 changed.

I am by no means sure on this, i would suggest talk to local Vosa office or class 5 testing station

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
mcerd1

posted on 27/11/12 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by omega 24 v6
1 If I bought a landy 110 csw with 9 or 11 or 12 seats. Under a class B licence ( like the kids have) they cannot drive it (They can only drive up to 8 seaters).

my dad took the back seats out of our 110 when I started driving for this reason (nearly 14 years ago now )
he replaced them with a couple of full height forward facing ones that foldup out the way when not being used

we've still got the thing so I can check if he changed the v5 or not (knowing him he probably did)

[Edited on 27/11/2012 by mcerd1]

-

vanepico

posted on 27/11/12 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
I was always under the impression it was how many people there were in it, not just how many seats there are?

Worst comes to worst how likely are they to check the number of seats on the v5 if you got pulled over? Where all these land rovers 12 seater?

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

owelly

posted on 27/11/12 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
I know someone who took the rear seats out of a mini bus to make it a seven seater. He took a few photo's including ones showing the VRM and sent them to DVLA with the V5 and a covering letter and he got the amended V5 back. He didn't take any close-ups of where the seats mounted or the achor points for the seatbelts.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mcerd1

posted on 27/11/12 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vanepico
I was always under the impression it was how many people there were in it, not just how many seats there are?

Worst comes to worst how likely are they to check the number of seats on the v5 if you got pulled over? Where all these land rovers 12 seater?

definatly the number of seats

and no not all the 110 landrovers had 12 (if you can call the middle front a seat...) but alot of the older 110 station wagons did

(mind you thats 2 side facing bench seats in the very back with no seatbelts - so you could call it 2 'big' seats )

[Edited on 27/11/2012 by mcerd1]

-

omega 24 v6

posted on 27/11/12 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
Seems tyo me like the gov website are a shambles. The link I posted has C1+E as

Category C1+E

You can drive C1 category vehicles with a trailer over 750kg, but the trailer - when fully loaded - can’t weigh more than the vehicle.

The combined weight of both can’t exceed 12,000kg.

However on another gov page
this one
where I had my licence from 1979
it says this

Vehicles between 3,500 and 7,500kg MAM with a trailer (combined weight no more than 8,250kg MAM)

Now how The hell are you supposed to know EXACTLY where you stand Legally??

And from yet another gov page this one
this statement which again say 12000KG
Towing heavier combinations

If you want to tow heavier combinations, you’ll have to first apply for provisional entitlement to the new C1+E entitlement. You’ll then have to pass the category C theory test and C1+E practical test.

Once you’ve done this you can drive vehicles and trailers with a combined weight of up to 12 tonnes MAM.

[Edited on 27/11/12 by omega 24 v6]

[Edited on 27/11/12 by omega 24 v6]

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.