Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oh why did i get BT Vision!!
matt.c

posted on 27/11/12 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
Oh why did i get BT Vision!!

Cancelled sky a few months ago and replaced it with BT Vision.

What a load of rubbish it is! The box keeps locking up, blocky picture and signal braking up etc.

Now before i ring BT up and tell them that there product is pants, what else is there out there to have instead? I think i would like a recordable free view set up with a dish instead of an ariel.

Any companies do this for a low monthly subscription or will i have to buy the set up?

Thank you for any ideas you can give me.

Cheers

Matt

MRLuke

posted on 27/11/12 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
You can get freeview HD for no monthly subscription. To record you just need to buy a recorder, again no subscription.
big-vee-twin

posted on 27/11/12 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
You can get freesat for free but need to buy box, humax make a box that will record two channels same as sky plus
Use sky dish to receive free sat.

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

mark chandler

posted on 27/11/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
I purchased a humax box maybe ten years ago, it was a great bit of kit then, must be better now.

Used it for freeview, I begrudge paying sky for anything, if you want films then plenty of online stuff for £5 a month although the films are not great.

[Edited on 27/11/12 by mark chandler]

bobthebuilder

posted on 27/11/12 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
you just need a better areial.
we have bt vision and have had no problems, plus it was alot cheaper than sky.

dhutch

posted on 27/11/12 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Im also 14months into a BT vision subscription, it has been a bit blocky occasionally on the on demand stuff when the internet is on a go slow but generally while not the most user friendly thing in the world its cheap and works for me.

I only watch about 2 hours a week telly, but it means I can watch what I want, when I want, and fast forward through the adverts!

Daniel

[Edited on 28/11/2012 by dhutch]

splitrivet

posted on 27/11/12 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
Ive just signed up for talktalk I was paying sky £46.50 for entertainment package with telephone and calls and £19.98 to eclipse for broadband 8 gig d/l limit which was pants, late at night I could pull 5/6 meg but before then it was cr@p obviously being throttled, trouble was the local phone exchange hadnt been LLU'd.
My Sky plus box wasnt compatible with Sky's new catch up service ie BBC iplayer they wanted another £10.63 per month for a Sky+ hd box so I could have that.
With talktalk its £24.50 per month for basically the same channels as Sky, catchup, 1 years free lovefilm instant, unlimited Broadband that speed tests at 18.5 meg d/l (its only been in a week so should get faster) and free 24/7 calls the line rental is £9.50 a month if you pay for a year upfront as opposed to Sky's £14.65.
Waiting for the TV box to be delivered so I'll let you know what its like but so far Im chuffed.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

James

posted on 28/11/12 at 12:45 AM Reply With Quote
4th option... don't have telly and get something useful done with your time instead!

Everything on is crap anyway!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

NigeEss

posted on 28/11/12 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
I sacked Sky about 6 months ago and bought a Samsung freesat box, hooked it up to the dish and
it's been great. Does everything the Sky+ box. Cost £130 to buy and that's it, and it receives all the
free HD channels that Sky charge for.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

coozer

posted on 28/11/12 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
What about the sports channels? I would ditch Sky but I cant do without the sports channels!!

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

puma931

posted on 28/11/12 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
FYI - BT Vision was featured on Watch dog a few weeks ago. Complaints about quality of image etc and broadband speed was the cause of most issues. BT were reluctant to relase customers early from agreements.....
BenB

posted on 28/11/12 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've on freeview not freesat but can confirm that their HD PVRs are very nice. Only issue is occasionally the HDMI connection falls over between the box and the tv (has happened twice in a year- both times due to me switching it off when and then on again when it was recording something). The answer is to switch it off and on at the mains but obviously this isn't an option when recording something...
bodger

posted on 28/11/12 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
4th option... don't have telly and get something useful done with your time instead!

Got to agree, got talked into Virgin premium package with their Tivo box 'cos the kids like the footy but hardly use it. It's expensive, most of it's crap & a waste of precious free time. When I want to chill out I grab something off Netflix now. They've got some decent stuff on there, especially the American HBO series (Breaking Bad, 24, etc) & just 'cos it's not the latest movie doesn't make it a bad movie & vice versa.

James

posted on 28/11/12 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bodger
quote:
Originally posted by James

Got to agree, got talked into Virgin premium package with their Tivo box 'cos the kids like the footy but hardly use it. It's expensive, most of it's crap & a waste of precious free time. When I want to chill out I grab something off Netflix now. They've got some decent stuff on there, especially the American HBO series (Breaking Bad, 24, etc) & just 'cos it's not the latest movie doesn't make it a bad movie & vice versa.

My girlfriend and I have about 350 dvds between us and a few TV series so we do use my telly... but that is all. We even took down the roof aerial so as to easily prove to the licensing people we weren't lying about not needing to pay for TV licence. (you need an aerial on about a 15' pole to get anything in our street).
They stopped sending us their annoying threatening letters at that point! lol

With Savate, Thai Boxing and Roller Derby hobbies there aren't any free evenings left to watch TV

Anyway, I know I'd sit up all night channel hopping if I had TV and I certainly have no interest in watching other people do sport! Would much rather play than watch!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.