Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: what speakers for sonos
daniel mason

posted on 29/11/12 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
what speakers for sonos

im looking at getting a 3 room sonos setup in new year. 2 of the rooms are easily sorted as i just need a connect(zp90) to link to my lounge surround system and amp. and a connect amp for the bedroom.
but for the main music room (just 2 x stereo speakers) should i go for a sonos connect amp or should i just get a connect and a hifi amp to run the speakers?
my main concern is, wheter the sonos amp is good enough to power a good set of stereo speakers? cheers

johnny chimpo

posted on 29/11/12 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Oh I've been looking at sonos recently aswell. Altho it will be the middle of next year before I will get a chance to get it.

Interested to find out how you get on with this.....

sdh2903

posted on 29/11/12 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
what's sonos?

googled looks like a clever idea

[Edited on 29/11/12 by sdh2903]

daniel mason

posted on 29/11/12 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
ive wired a few systems and currently doing one now. it really is top stuff and the interface is also great. apple products can control it too so no need to buy the remotes.
most of the ones we do have recessed ceiling speakers but i would want to run some bigger,more powerful units. and wondered if the amps are up to it

Bare

posted on 30/11/12 at 03:02 AM Reply With Quote
erm 'top stuff' is a matter of opinion. True I suppose if an I pod is your reference standard.
Snuggs

posted on 30/11/12 at 06:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bare
erm 'top stuff' is a matter of opinion. True I suppose if an I pod is your reference standard.

+1

Seriously overpriced for the spec

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.topcashback.co.uk/ref/snuggstcb
Spider pig, spider pig, does whatever a spider pig does.
I doubt therefore I may be.
Luposlipophobia : Fear of being chased by wolves around a freshly waxed kitchen floor, while wearing only socks on your feet.
My mind not only wanders, sometimes it leaves completely!
http://www.venganza.org
http://www.jesusandmo.net/
http://www.snuggs.co.uk

daniel mason

posted on 30/11/12 at 07:13 AM Reply With Quote
obviously youve never seen it properly or worked on it.
nothing wrong with the apple interface for sonos,its an expandable system,up to 32 different songs can be played at the same time! internet radio,i-pod connectivity,
obviously its not as good as a £10,000 stereo amb but at under £400 they are very very good.

[Edited on 30/11/12 by daniel mason]

Pdlewis

posted on 30/11/12 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
one of the top things i have bought

I have a zp120 powering a pair of B&W bookshelf speakers and a zp80 plugged into my B&W zepplin

I know the the speakers are a little expensive to listen to compressed music on but they sound good an i havnt used any of my old hifi equiptment since getting the sonos and at least 4 of my friends have got systems after playing with mine

Build Photo Album

Updated 05/02/2009

contaminated

posted on 30/11/12 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
The thing about Sonos is that if you want true syncronisation between rooms, nothing does it better really. Currently I run a home brew version using software designed for the Logitech Squeezebox, some laptops and other PCs and various hifi equipment. It works, but Sonos is much better. When I upgrade to Sonos I will use my own hifi where possible, but I wouldn't hesitate to drive some floor standing speakers with the Sonos amp. I had a demonstration when I bought my amp and speakers - the Sonos amp drove some quite decent floor standers no problem. If you ring any branch of Richer Sounds they will tell you what works.

Tiger Super Six Independent
www.southernkitcars.com

ceebmoj

posted on 30/11/12 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
I also have a Sonos system it's great. I have tried a number of other audio streaming products over the years including squeezebox and I find the Sonos the best that I have tried. if you are getting a set up it is worth getting one of the old controllers because it is water proof I frequently use mine in the shower.
mark.s

posted on 30/11/12 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
just got a 5 and a bridge, cracking bit of kit if you want a "no fuss" set up , could you not go for 5 or are you looking for more grunt?
Sorry dont know the answer about the amp but i do know they are 400 which is a bit more than a 5

daniel mason

posted on 30/11/12 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
i could use a play 5 in a bedroom but the main .listening room will need a decent pair of stereo speakers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.