Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: shower pumps....
franky

posted on 4/12/12 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
shower pumps....

Hi all.

I've a en-suite that has a power shower fed from a pump that sits next to the hot water cylinder. The shower in the bathroom is a mixer type that isn't powered. I'm putting a new shower in and would like it to be powered. The pipework for this shower goes into the loft then down into the bathroom.

Option 1:

Could I fit a pump in the loft, a twin feed pump inline? Once it senses flow it'll spring into life, any issues with it being above the hot water cylinder?

Option 2:

Could I use one pump to feed both showers, basically a t feed off the hot and cold outlet, piped to both showers? I guess a 3bar pump would provide enough flow even if both are being used at once?

Option 3:

a second pump to sit next to the existing pump sharing the feed via T pieces so both pumps could run off the same source?

Have I missed anything?

big-vee-twin

posted on 4/12/12 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
You can get a single pump which has the duty to run two showers concurrently I have one got is at b&q.

From memory I believe they have to be below or at the same height and as close as possible to the bottom of the cylinder

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

I predict a Riot

posted on 4/12/12 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Franky,

I've got two twin impeller pumps brand new sitting about.

I bought them to use in my house and even though they were fitted they only had one hour or so use before we changed our minds and went down a different route.

Very cheap if you're interested.

I only live at Louth not far from you. U2U me if you are interested - like wise any one else who wants them.

"Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people ". Warren Buffet on Expectation

splitrivet

posted on 4/12/12 at 11:34 PM Reply With Quote
Shower pumps push dont pull so if there is an air lock youd be snookered. I suppose if you had enough head feeding the hw cylinder it should be OK so your cold tank would have to be a fair distance above the pump. But I'd be more inclined to leave it where its at option 2 I would think best.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

tegwin

posted on 5/12/12 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
As above..these pumps hate air... so they need to be as close to the bottom of the HW cylinder as possible.

If you intend to run two showers you may have issues with flow unless the pump is fed correctly using a surrey type flange in the hot water cylinder. Should be non restricted 22mm all the way from inside the tank to the pump.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

franky

posted on 5/12/12 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tegwin
As above..these pumps hate air... so they need to be as close to the bottom of the HW cylinder as possible.

If you intend to run two showers you may have issues with flow unless the pump is fed correctly using a surrey type flange in the hot water cylinder. Should be non restricted 22mm all the way from inside the tank to the pump.

the current pump already has it, seems like the best way is to get a 3.0bar pump and feed both off that. Its not often that both will be in use at the same time.

Texan

posted on 5/12/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Just to show my stupidity, what's a shower pump and why do you need one?

Keep in mind I'm in the States.

I drive therefore I am.

bob tatt

posted on 5/12/12 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Texan it's a expensive noisy unreliable pump that is required over here to boost ahower performance due to the vast number of houses still using Stone Age plumbing.
Texan

posted on 5/12/12 at 11:09 PM Reply With Quote
OK. It's to counter low water pressure.

Sometimes it pays to live in a younger country. There's not all that old stuff hanging around

I drive therefore I am.

paulf

posted on 5/12/12 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have got 2 central heating pumps powering my shower , they work a treat and hardly make any noise just need to get around to fitting a flow switch to replace the pull cord that is presently controlling them.
Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.