Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Amsterdam trip
PAUL FISHER

posted on 9/12/12 at 03:14 AM Reply With Quote
Amsterdam trip

Just booked me and our lass on a trip to Amsterdam for christmas shopping trip, going via hull, 4 nights, 2 on board ship, and 2 in Amsterdam, any tips what to do, what to see, and what not to do, we have never been before, all advice welcome, cheers Paul
spiderman

posted on 9/12/12 at 03:40 AM Reply With Quote
Probably best not to go window shopping in De Wallen, especially as you will be with the Mrs.

Spider

snapper

posted on 9/12/12 at 03:56 AM Reply With Quote
I drink a lot of coffee when I'm there!!!

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Krismc

posted on 9/12/12 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
Relise the difference between a coffee shop and a Cafe'!!

You will soon work it out, both serve nice coffee but the brownies have a bit of additive in one of the shops!

[Edited on 9/12/12 by Krismc]

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

jonabonospen

posted on 9/12/12 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
It depends what sort of stuff you like. There is obviously the usual stuff you can do........ I am sure I dont need to tell you what Amsterdam is famous for

I probably spend about 10-15 weeks a year in 'Amsterdam' for work. We stop in a city / town just outside Amsterdam though called Haarlem. It is a lovely place with a large central square with a beautifully kept Catherdral / VERY big church in it and there are LOADS of shops there to go looking round too. It is a lot different in Haarlem to what it is in Amsterdam as it attracts a different type of tourist / person. It is only a 15 minute train ride from Amsterdam to Haarlem so not wasting time travelling.

http://www.visithaarlem.org/home.html

My favourite highlight of Haarlem is the Jopen brewery though. It is a micro / mini brewery which is in a converted church. It has all been done up inside and the brewing is done inside the church, and can all be seen behind the bar. Its a lovely place. Even does food.

http://www.jopen.nl/jopen/de-brouwerij

If you stay in Amsterdam though, the canal trip on a boat is always nice, and a good way to see some parts of Amsterdam you might not have seen just walking around. Always nice to look in the floating houses as you are going round too

MAC#1 ZX10R WORX BUILD BLOG: http://mac1-zx10r-worx-build-blog.tumblr.com/

MY PERSONAL BLOG: http://jonabonospen.tumblr.com/

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
carlknight1982

posted on 9/12/12 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
Brewery tour is well worth a visit

Logic will get you from a A to B
Imagination will take you everywhere.

russbost

posted on 9/12/12 at 01:36 PM Reply With Quote
Apart from the obvious Amsterdam attractions, there is the cheese factory at Edam, & if you can get over, to Broek Im Waterland & Vollendam & Marken (SP?) they are fascinating

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Jon Ison

posted on 9/12/12 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
Well worth a visit here

Nothing wrong with a walk around the window shopping precinct, me n swimbo sat in a cafe overlooking a lot of the shop windows, took bets on how long the curtains would be drawn, makes an interesting game, you see lots of couples in this area, guess it as to be seen whatever sex you are ?

I also treated swimbo to this went down very well.

eta a couple of ferry tips.

Take a Philips screwdriver, remove speaker from cabin ceiling, pull a wire off and put speaker back, otherwise you will get a 5am bing bong telling you restaurant's are open.

Try to sneak into "drivers" lounge for breakfast & dinner, great carvery for evening meal and superb buffet for breakfast, if you want a quiet evening on ferry English TV will be on in drivers lounge along with a decent drink to be had.

Traveling on a Friday ? Then its disco boat time, will be lively around main stage sometimes have some very good turns on.

Take a few bob for the tables if you fancy a go, passes an hour away nicely.

Dont drop the soap in the shower, you will have to open the door to bend down & pick it up.

[Edited on 9/12/12 by Jon Ison]

indykid

posted on 9/12/12 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Swmbo took me for the day in October half term.

Krentenbolen - Dutch currant teacakes aren't to be missed. The Jordaan's pretty interesting for a wander round, but the red light district is also worth a look, just to say you've been. It's not a seedy place though, more a caricature of what you'd expect. There are all shapes and sizes in the windows.

Begijnhof is a nice bit of tranquility away from the hustle and bustle of the rest.

We ended up walking just under 7 miles in the day we were there. I wouldn't try to cram too much into each day if you're there for 3 days. Just have a wander and absorb the culture.

I'm not sure if we found a dud flower market, but the one marked on the tourist map wasn't worth the shoe leather getting there. Stall after stall of tacky wooden tulips.

PAUL FISHER

posted on 9/12/12 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
Great info everyone thanks, I am sure I will give the coffee and brownies a try, the boat trip looks just what I was after Jon, going to book that, and the Ann Frank museum I think our lass will find that interesting, some good tips for the boat too. Begijnhof looks worth a visit, and will give the tea cakes a try. Broek In Waterland & Vollendam & Marken all look good aswell as does Haarlem and the brewery trips, don't know how much of it we can fit in the three days we are there
vanepico

posted on 9/12/12 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
I have to say I thought there was only one reason people went!

I had a bit of a bad experience with brownies, nothing to do with Amsterdam though

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

Jasper

posted on 11/12/12 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
If your there for 2 days and fancy sampling the coffee shop cakes, that will be your 2 days gone for sure! It's very easy to loose a few hours or even a few days in Amsterdam! Great city and lovely people .....

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

Peteff

posted on 11/12/12 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vanepicoI had a bit of a bad experience with brownies, nothing to do with Amsterdam though

Did you get mugged by this lot ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

b3ngy

posted on 11/12/12 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
beer is very expensive!!
PAUL FISHER

posted on 11/12/12 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by b3ngy
beer is very expensive!!

Thats ok, I might not have to drink much after a couple of cookies, brownies or a bit of space cake

b3ngy

posted on 11/12/12 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Thats ok, I might not have to drink much after a couple of cookies, brownies or a bit of space cake

Fair point

mkindy

posted on 12/12/12 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
hi ,

i live near amsterdam if i can help you with something let me now

cheers

PAUL FISHER

posted on 12/12/12 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mkindy
hi ,

i live near amsterdam if i can help you with something let me now

cheers

Thanks for that, if also I can help you with anything let me know, I live 20 minutes away from MK Sportscars, If I can bring you any parts across at the same time, I am only too pleased to help, Always good help out and to meet up with fellow locostbuilders, regards Paul

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

T66

posted on 12/12/12 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Go down to Delft - and have apple pie at Kobus Kuch...

That was a recommend from a Locoster, cannot recall who, but so pleased we did.

swanny

posted on 12/12/12 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
stroopwaffels with your coffee and buy some vla (yoghurty/custard drink i really liked) alsp we went to a really good cheese shop, quite a few around.

paul

vanepico

posted on 12/12/12 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
quote:
Originally posted by vanepicoI had a bit of a bad experience with brownies, nothing to do with Amsterdam though

Did you get mugged by this lot ?

No it wasn't haha

It was me lying in bed and all I could hear was something like this sound :

Oh and the usual "argh! I'm going to die!"

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.