Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lathe help needed - beer tokens waiting!
chrsgrain

posted on 27/12/12 at 06:24 PM Reply With Quote
Lathe help needed - beer tokens waiting!

Hi all,

I was hoping someone could help - I need to have the bit that holds discs onto a grinder reduced in thickness so my shrinking disc can't hit anything it shouldn't..... a picture is worth a thousand words, this should make things clearer...

Description
Description

Description
Description

See how it pokes out above the plane of the disc - that means it can hit on bits of bodywork which is obviously bad! What I'd like is it turned down so that it lies at least level with the plane of the disc, if not a tiny bit below. The plane of the disc isn't flat, its slightly inclined into the centre, so the attaching disc could do with following that plane, or kept entirely below it - if that makes sense! Another picture may help... Although it doesn't look like it in the picture, there will be enough metal left, especially as there is very little force through the disc when its used.

Description
Description

If anyone is wondering what its for, its for accurately shrinking metal, which helps turn this hole....

Description
Description

via this....

Description
Description

into this... (the dark lines are bits of guidecoat stuck in the grooves from the body file)

Description
Description

Here's hoping someone can help! Cheers

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

ReMan

posted on 27/12/12 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry cant help, but thats not natural.
More witchcraft!

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

theprisioner

posted on 27/12/12 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
I have done exactly the same thing to my 115mm grinder for exactly the same reason. Unfortunately I am at the opposite end of the country from you. I will send you U2U and you can pop it in the post to me if you want.
Fred W B

posted on 28/12/12 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
if you only want to take material off the outside why not just spin it up with a spacer underneath in the place of the disc and apply a flap disc on another grinder to the surface?

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 28/12/12 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Peteff

posted on 28/12/12 at 09:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fred W B
if you only want to take material off the outside why not just spin it up with a spacer underneath in the place of the disc and apply a flap disc on another grinder to the surface?
Cheers
Fred W B

I've used the same method with the part held on a bolt or old spindle in the pillar drill chuck and to shape the backs of inlet valves as well.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

posted on 28/12/12 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Could you form a depressed centre into the shrinking disc?

From your pics it looks as if it's slightly depressed already, and retaining more threads
in the nut would be safer.

If you do "thin" the nut you will also need to shorten the male spindle, or use a spacer.

Cheers,
Paul G

rf900rush

posted on 28/12/12 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

If you do not find any one closer, I am in Epsom Surrey, With a small ish lathe, willing to help.
Could also make a spacer for he back if required.

Martin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrsgrain

posted on 29/12/12 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys for all the suggestions... I think I'll take Martin up on his offer of thinning the part and making the spacer!

Cheers all...

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

rf900rush

posted on 29/12/12 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
U2U sent

Sadly the Dax Was sold this year.

New project under way but for the kids this time

Just sent to the Painter.
Fortunately I have a brother who Beats Panels and paints, and is now the favorite Uncle.

Primer

Body Primer
Body Primer

Top coat

Body Top coat
Body Top coat

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 30/12/12 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
Will this do? was in the workshop doing some work on the lathe and remembered your post.

Its an M14 thread, and about 1.5mm thick now, 4mm in the raused centre section....

Description
Description

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.