Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: flywheel to clutch plate (zetec to T9)
cps13

posted on 28/12/12 at 09:34 PM Reply With Quote
flywheel to clutch plate (zetec to T9)

hi,

I am after some advice about putting my clutch and fly wheel together. I have a zetec 1.8 silvertop with standard flywheel and a FORD MONDEO 1.8 i 16 V CLUTCH KIT VCK 726 clutch going together with a Ford type 9 box.

Now all the mounting screws on the flywheel align with the cover plate, however there are 3 pins on the flywheel which also line up with holes on the cover plate but the pins are too big to go through the holes.

If place the put the friction and cover plates in and align them up with a tool, then place them onto the flywheel WITHOUT using the 3 pins, the friction plate is in contact with the flywheel, so this is as it would be if the pins were smaller and the cover plate slid over them. Is this normal? Should the friction plate be in contact with the flywheel at this stage?

I think what i'm asking is, if I were to slightly drill out the holes which slot over the pins (would need less than 0.5mm) would the clutch be in the right place and suitable?

I am confused because everything I have read suggests that you would need to re-drill the flywheel to get the cover plate to fit.

I intend to fit a spigot bearing and a new CT133 release bearing if it makes any diff.

Thanks

alladdin

posted on 28/12/12 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
yes, the friction plate will contact the cover and fw. it releases when the cover is compressed. i would guess the holes are punched badly, they usually pull on ok with the bolts but a needle file wont hurt as long as they dont go slack. you have the correct kit as used by myself.
cps13

posted on 28/12/12 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alladdin
yes, the friction plate will contact the cover and fw. it releases when the cover is compressed. i would guess the holes are punched badly, they usually pull on ok with the bolts but a needle file wont hurt as long as they dont go slack. you have the correct kit as used by myself.

Thanks

cps13

posted on 6/1/13 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone used this clutch before? If so what starter did you use?

I was going to use a Lucas lrs707 starter but just read someone on here who said it didn't fit.

Cheers

coozer

posted on 6/1/13 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
I used that clutch no problem, just may a bit of the coating on the plate pooling up in the holes.

I just asked for starter for a 2L DOHC Sierra, cant remember the number but the motor factor bloke was very helpful.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

alladdin

posted on 6/1/13 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cps13
Has anyone used this clutch before? If so what starter did you use?

I was going to use a Lucas lrs707 starter but just read someone on here who said it didn't fit.

Cheers

the clutch has no relation to which starter you use, thats a gearbox / flywheel / engine combo.

707 is the most commonly used for zetec on type 9

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.