Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kiwi wanting to purchase kitcar
diggaguy37

posted on 30/12/12 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Kiwi wanting to purchase kitcar

Hi,Im a 41yr old kiwi living a Christchurch NewZealand.Ive enjoyed owning and driving two lotus 7 replica cars but havent found the right one for me yet and after enjoying reading your forum site for some time thought I would join and learn more and meet more people who share the bug for these fantastic cars.
I am looking to buy another car and as you guys have some orsom models over there Im quite keen to explore the option of Importing a car into NZ.Im a lean 6ft so leg room is a must.
I am trying to work out the best deal (value for money).I really like the White/red MK Indy on ebay atm but may go over budget 6k max.
I like the MK Indy,Mac 1 and similar bec or duretec engined cars Haynes ok too but not limited to this and as its going to be a weekend car 80% road,20% track 100-150km trips not too concerned about wet weather gear just the rush of going for a blat to destress as these damn earthquakes have worn alot of people out including me.
I would really appreciate if you are looking to sell or know of a car for sale that I may like to please contact me .
I will also need some guidance re shipping.(getting a car from seller to shipping port.
Have spoken to shipit and about $3000nzd to send.
Anyway Love the forum and looking forward to making contact with you great folk.check out NZ forum lotus 7.co.nz Cheers Jason

ali f27

posted on 30/12/12 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mark built that car for the guy who is selling it if you want to know more about it we can have chat
T66

posted on 30/12/12 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hello

You could save a lot of NZ dollars by buying the Haynes book, and building the chassis yourself or even speaking to someone your side who could make it for you, a smart Locost looks just as good as any of the seven kit versions.

http://www.haynes.co.uk/press/Releases_HTML/070315_BYOSportsCarPR_haynes_press_release.htm

daniel mason

posted on 30/12/12 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
mnr have an australian dealer. redback racing or redback motorsport i think it is. have a word with mnr as id doubt you would get a better or cheaper product to nz than the mnr vortx.
if you need any help as a go between on this side of the pond id happily help.after owning 2 x mnr's i can vouch for them as people and their product! good luck mate,and choose wisely. read reports of customer service and be-ware of some companies. thats all im gonna say, apart from if i was spending money from the other side of the world id be wanting to make sure all my parts arrive on time and on budget.

diggaguy37

posted on 30/12/12 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
Own the Chris Gibbs Haynes book and very tempting but sooo busy with work and 3 kids time is not as plentiful as enthusiasm.
T66

posted on 30/12/12 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by diggaguy37
Own the Chris Gibbs Haynes book and very tempting but sooo busy with work and 3 kids time is not as plentiful as enthusiasm.

Thats a good enough reason for sure.....

If my choice of car build was a seven type, it would be an MNR Vortx, they are good and so is MNR service.

jossey

posted on 30/12/12 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by T66
Hello

You could save a lot of NZ dollars by buying the Haynes book, and building the chassis yourself or even speaking to someone your side who could make it for you, a smart Locost looks just as good as any of the seven kit versions.

http://www.haynes.co.uk/press/Releases_HTML/070315_BYOSportsCarPR_haynes_press_release.htm

Yes you can build one for £250 lol

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 30/12/12 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Welcome along.

I was lucky enough to.tour around nz for my honeymoon. We started in christchurch and ended up in the northern parts of the north island.

My wife got fed up very quickly as i kept saying how beautiful the roads and driving is.

Your very lucky to have the roads and space but yoy certainly do feel on the other side od the world.

Good luck with the search and purchase.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

diggaguy37

posted on 31/12/12 at 12:02 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers for that,yes I guess we are lucky with some fantastic roads and orsom scenery.Got to be very careful what roads you travel on near christchurch though as they will take your sump clean off a sports car with raised man holes and roads with serious dips and bumps and bridge enteries that have had to be built up as the road either sank or the bridge raised sometimes up to half a metre.On the up side theres plenty of parking in central ChCh just bugger all shops left.
If you visit our NZ lotus forum Lotus 7.co.nz there is some photos of some of our road trips including snow trips,just wish I had a car to re visit them.Maybe I might get lucky and pick up somebodies almost finished car or bargin out there.Your weather doesnt look too flash for blatting around so fingers crossed. Jason

I predict a Riot

posted on 31/12/12 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hello Jason,

I took the family out to NZ about 6 years ago for three weeks after considering emigrating. Absolutely loved the country but just felt a bit too far away. You seem to fly over every other country in the world to get there.

Have you considered one of Jeremy Philips's cars (Sylva Autokits) a "Riot J16" or a J15, both are available for Ford Sigma or bike engines but most importantly I know that the chassis has been tested for and passed the torsion test required by the NZ government.

I have finished a J16 recently, check out my photo archive and think one would be perfect for your track/road use.

Regards

Adrian..

"Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people ". Warren Buffet on Expectation

RK

posted on 31/12/12 at 02:48 AM Reply With Quote
http://mcgregormotorsport.co.nz/

http://www.fraser.co.nz/

Don't know anything about them, other than their ads.

http://www.lotus7.co.nz/forum/index.php?sid=6a6ea8b0305bdb05d3138e3d9f2ea4af

http://www.lotus7.co.nz/forum/viewtopic.php?f=69&t=2552

[Edited on 31/12/12 by RK]

diggaguy37

posted on 2/1/13 at 02:04 AM Reply With Quote
Still looking at all options,importing from UK or buying in New Zealand.Buying a new Mc Gregor or fraser locally is expensive,second hand replicas are in short supply maybe due to our population so I still think that due to having little time to build myself that importing a car is definatly something to seriously consider.I saw a real nice orange Haynes roadster sell on your forum site for under 3000 pounds and some almost finished builds for similar money.
If anyone is thinking about selling there car BEC or CEC as long as its a good build preferably MK indy,Mac 1,MNR,haynes up to 6k or similar U2U me with pictures and details and lets see if we can do a deal.cheers

Rob55

posted on 2/1/13 at 07:17 AM Reply With Quote
DSV Freight Forwarding would be worth speaking to regarding shipping. I have used them in the past to bring a 40' container from NYC to Ireland and they were both helpful and competitively priced, especially as I was completely clueless with what I was doing. They should have an office local to you in NZ
diggaguy37

posted on 2/1/13 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
roll on roll off is cheaper to send than a container providing car is running on its on steam.But thanks for the info I will check them out.Maybe me importing a kitcar might turn out to be a pipe dream but dont know unless you try.Just waiting for some offers of cars from builders/owners.
daniel mason

posted on 2/1/13 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
like i said. talk to mnr. they send cars to australia in various stages of build so they will know the best way of shipping

RK

posted on 2/1/13 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
Check to see your government will let you put an imported kit car on the road. Ours won't under most circumstances.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.