Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Open Source Cars
Alez

posted on 23/9/04 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Open Source Cars

The link says it all:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/opensourcecars/

The initiative doesn't look too realistic to me but who knows, these guys seem to be trying something open which is always good.

If you join and find something good, let the thread know (I'm not a Yahoo Groups member and all areas seem to be members-only, I suppose to ensure the project remains as open as possible ).

I'm posting here since this is the area of the forum where the development occurs.

Cheers,

Alex

[Edited on 23/9/04 by Alez]

sgraber

posted on 23/9/04 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I am a member of the group. I think I see Dominic over there too.

I get the digests and from what I can see so far is that most threads will probably drag down into levels of personality conflicts. There seem to be some strong headed people that apparently would rather be "right" than just figure out what to build. But isn't that the case almost everywhere?

I mean they are debating about the weight of the Renesis vs an I4 and the 13B right now. AFAIK the Renesis is out of reach for the average builder. So why even bother thinking about it? It's wasting the momentum to argue that a certain engine is 50Lbs lighter than another... In any case, the Rotary engines can't easily be converted to transverse transaxle because the exhaust port is situated squarely where the half-shaft goes. It could be mated to an Audi, Porsche or Renault transaxle, but if you think about the reality of what an open source car is supposed to be, it's just silly to be talking about it when there are millions of transverse FWD powertrains that have no such issues. And they are all a dime a dozen at the auctions.

I'm sorry for getting so down on the group, but I just can't participate on it when what they are discussing has been hashed over so many times before.... I have already built a chassis that will accept any powertrain up to V8 in a transverse configuration so watching them discuss this stuff is interesting in a way, but I know that if I post something it will either be flamed or ignored. Not worth my time.

Graber

Steve Graber
http://www.grabercars.com/

"Quickness through lightness"

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Alez

posted on 24/9/04 at 06:41 AM Reply With Quote
But then again, WFT does Steve know about cars on the design front?? I mean OK, I bought the t-shirt but it was just because it's funny, not because I have any faith in the project!!

Seriously now, I understand what you mean 100%, we call that to "preach in the desert" here in Spain, do you have a similar expression?

Alan B

posted on 24/9/04 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sgraber
...... there are millions of transverse FWD powertrains that have no such issues. And they are all a dime a dozen at the auctions.

I'm sorry for getting so down on the group, but I just can't participate on it when what they are discussing has been hashed over so many times before.... I have already built a chassis that will accept any powertrain up to V8 in a transverse configuration so watching them discuss this stuff is interesting in a way, but I know that if I post something it will either be flamed or ignored. Not worth my time.

Graber

Hmm..sounds like I shouldn't even look there...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MrFluffy

posted on 24/9/04 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
lists

I joined too, made one post along the "lets keep it modular and people will design and fork it to fit what they have local and their own little variances", and stood back and watched everyone trying to define exactly what transmission and engine it was going to use rather than coming up with a flexible framework to a design (which is why I think the locost approach is so popular) and one person calling me a idiot for using the philosphy.. Each and every thread starter thinking they knew best for everyone elses situation and goals on the list..

So I unsubscribed after 4 digests...

kb58

posted on 24/9/04 at 05:15 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't know about this list, but thanks for saving me the grief.
robinbastd

posted on 24/9/04 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
I subscribed and look forward to the daily email with perverse pleasure to see who is going to be talked at by the Greg chappy.

Ian

[Edited on 24/9/04 by robinbastd]

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

pbura

posted on 26/9/04 at 04:36 AM Reply With Quote
I just joined, and I think it's got a lot of potential if they become Locosters! I think that the vision is to have a very tightly specified car, and I hope they open it up, i.e., put out basic chassis, suspension, and body plans and let people run with it.

I've read many of the Greg fella's contributions on Eng-Tips and he seems like a nice guy, and is very knowledgeable.

Pete

Pete

robinbastd

posted on 26/9/04 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
I don't doubt that,but he did start (and delete) a thread about non engineers using Eng-Tips. I joined immediately so they can now count a shopkeeper/florist and smuttygift online retailer in their ranks.
Ian

Only a dead fish swims with the tide.

http://smuttygifts.com/

pbura

posted on 27/9/04 at 12:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robinbastd
I don't doubt that,but he did start (and delete) a thread about non engineers using Eng-Tips. I joined immediately so they can now count a shopkeeper/florist and smuttygift online retailer in their ranks.
Ian

They probably don't want any beancounters there, either.

The more I think about this open source car business, the more I think it's going to boil down to one guy putting his chassis plans in the public domain, much like Uncle Ron.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Pete

jcduroc

posted on 29/9/04 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pbura
The more I think about this open source car business, the more I think it's going to boil down to one guy putting his chassis plans in the public domain, much like Uncle Ron.

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Hi
I joined that forum too and it "smells" like someone's trying to sell other's designed parts comissioned by him in Sri Lanka.

JCM

kb58

posted on 29/9/04 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
I just don't see how a commitee of self-proclaimed outside-the-box thinkers is ever going to agree on anything.

Look at us here, we all get along fairly well, but I bet if any one of us took possesion of another's car/plans, we'd immediately change it. That's of no consequence really and all in good fun; we're all doing our own thing and that's part of the appeal of being here.

Of course the real reason we can coexist is because money is not involved. Add money into the mix of several hundred opinionated "designers" and it seems like guaranteed trouble... or something like General Motors for example. I fear whatever they come up with will be a watered down vehicle so it doesn't offend people, but also one that doesn't excite anyone enough to buy it. Hope I'm wrong.

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.