Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Dreamliner
Jon Ison

posted on 1/1/13 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
Dreamliner

Just booked this years winter holiday, both out and return flights are on Dreamliner, be interesting to see if it lives up to the hype, flight times are slightly shorter to.
coozer

posted on 1/1/13 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Where you going like??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

designer

posted on 1/1/13 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Dreamliner is the future
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
wylliezx9r

posted on 1/1/13 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
Dreamliner is the future

Only time will tell.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

The Venom Project

posted on 1/1/13 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
We are also booked in first class on the Dreamliner to Florida return in June :-) Can't wait

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

splitrivet

posted on 1/1/13 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
Thought was just an airyplane with a posh name.
Cheers,
Bob

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

sdh2903

posted on 2/1/13 at 08:00 AM Reply With Quote
I work for Thomson as an engineer and you wouldn't believe the amount of work ongoing behind the scenes to bring the 787 into service. The sheer leap in technology used on this aircraft compared to the current fleet is massive. To relate to the automotive industry it's like going from an 80's Sierra to a Nissan GTR.

With regards to the Op' s winter holiday, we will have 4 aircraft flying all summer so any 'teething' problems will hopefully be ironed out by then.

GeoffT

posted on 2/1/13 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
TV companies often screen some really good documentaries when landmark aircraft come into service but I haven't seen one as yet for the 787.

Have any passed me by? I find it's easy to miss the good stuff nowadays with so much junk TV available.....

designer

posted on 2/1/13 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
As said, the Dreamliner is the next generation of airplane.
I worked in aerospace and when meeting with Boeing about the design brief, this plane was, at the time, impossible, never been done before. But they thought it had to be done, and they did it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 2/1/13 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Boeing are to aircraft as Ford are to cars they know their market and fix faults in a new product pretty quickly. I remember when I worked for BAA chewing the fat with BA's engineers about the then new 757 & 767 which 20 years back were a quantum step in technology. Going back nearly 20 years further I can remember a flight a trip to Cape Town the Jo'berg to Cape town leg in the then new A300 which really impressed me compared to the Trident and 747 that I had flown in on the preceding legs of the trip.
The 787 looks as if it will be a better experience for the passenger compared to the A380

[Edited on 2/1/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

wylliezx9r

posted on 2/1/13 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Venom Project
We are also booked in first class on the Dreamliner to Florida return in June :-) Can't wait

Didnt think there was a first class on the 787, which airline are you flying with ?

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

atm92484

posted on 2/1/13 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
Its a shame that passengers cannot see the construction of the plane behind all of the interior linings and what not. Anyone geeky enough to enjoy such things (such as anyone building a Locost ) would have their mind blown away by it. I would dub it a modern work of industrial art.

Enjoy your flight.

-Andrew
Build Log

wylliezx9r

posted on 2/1/13 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
It wasnt such a work of art when they were bonding the nose to the main fuselage and found out that they were different sizes, knocked them back about 15 months. I've worked with Boeing on this project and there have been numerous problems, I personally think that they have tried to introduce too much at the same time.

George Best

bobinspain

posted on 2/1/13 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF_P77VEPKA

This link has been much imitated but never bettered. It's the one about Hitler's delayed Dreamliner order.

marco

posted on 2/1/13 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Boeing are to aircraft as Ford are to cars

I wouldn't call Ford cars as technology breaking tbh.....

sdh2903

posted on 2/1/13 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
I personally think that they have tried to introduce too much at the same time.

I kind of agree, however they kind of brought it on themselves, they had been very conservative for years with regards to introducing new technology so had to do something to keep up with Airbus.

If its the Thomson 787's you're talking about the 'First class' is more like a premium economy, bigger/wider seats, bigger Telly, more legroom and free booze.

The experience on board should be a pretty nice one with much more cabin space, cabin pressure is closer to being at sea level so you should feel better the other end, decent In flight entertainment on demand to keep the sprogs happy. Certainly a better experience on a whole, probably better than any other UK Charter airline has to offer.

Takes Thomson hat off and returns to fridge for more beer...........

britishtrident

posted on 2/1/13 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marco
quote:
Boeing are to aircraft as Ford are to cars

I wouldn't call Ford cars as technology breaking tbh.....

Airliners are Fords not Porches Ford have production engineering down to fine art

strange as it may seem in 1925 Ford were the worlds leading airliner manufacturer

see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Trimotor

[/I]

blakep82

posted on 2/1/13 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a particular length of time that airlines have to keep Boeing's configuration, before jamming more and smaller seats in 'the extra cabin space' ? :-P

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

morcus

posted on 3/1/13 at 01:13 AM Reply With Quote
Is it not that the airports can't handle the number of passengers that would fit on these planes if they had the same sort of seat density as a regular plane? I'm sort of on the periphery of the industry myself and I'm sure people from Airbus and Rolls Royce have both said this about all the new really big planes.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

britishtrident

posted on 3/1/13 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Larger capacity aircraft mean a lot of headaches for airports, number of check-in desks, baggage handling, distance between gates, length of airbridges, runway, taxiway and apron width and strength, number and size of fire appliances the list goes on..............

Even a small change can lead to headaches at one of the major UK airports refurbished a gate area to accommodate a new customer airline flying Boeing 737's . About a year later the blocked paved apron surface at the gate started to break up, the cause was the airline had replaced 737-200 with 737-400 which have a significantly higher take off weight.

[/I]

sdh2903

posted on 3/1/13 at 09:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
Is there a particular length of time that airlines have to keep Boeing's configuration, before jamming more and smaller seats in 'the extra cabin space' ? :-P

the interiors are fitted out to the customer's spec nothing to do with Boeing. Customer selects seat type, seat pitch, IFE etc, Boeing just fits it.

[Edited on 3/1/13 by sdh2903]

sdh2903

posted on 3/1/13 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Is it not that the airports can't handle the number of passengers that would fit on these planes if they had the same sort of seat density as a regular plane? I'm sort of on the periphery of the industry myself and I'm sure people from Airbus and Rolls Royce have both said this about all the new really big planes.

The 787 isn't really a big aircraft, it's not that different to a 767 size wise which fits at most UK airports. As far as I know there are no special requirements to handle one.

bobinspain

posted on 3/1/13 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Larger capacity aircraft mean a lot of headaches for airports, number of check-in desks, baggage handling, distance between gates, length of airbridges, runway, taxiway and apron width and strength, number and size of fire appliances the list goes on..............

Even a small change can lead to headaches at one of the major UK airports refurbished a gate area to accommodate a new customer airline flying Boeing 737's . About a year later the blocked paved apron surface at the gate started to break up, the cause was the airline had replaced 737-200 with 737-400 which have a significantly higher take off weight.

You just jogged a memory.

38 years ago (july 6th 1974 my logbook states), I was the navigator of an RAF VC10 we took on a cargo delivery run to Australia. First stop was Darwin en-route to Woomera, (an outpost for weapons testing in the heart of the GAFA--Great Australian Fuc£ All), which was little more than a third rate tarmac strip. Facilities were non-existent. No air-traffic control, no fueling facilities, one fire-engine which had to be pre-arranged (ATC tower never manned), and the runway load-capacity was way below that required for safe operation of the VC10, a fact I discovered only when on the ground in Darwin. Normally, those sorts of issues were resolved by 'Operations' before we were tasked. This was a 'one-off.'

On checking the ODM (Operating Data Manual), I hit on a wheeze which allowed us to operate safely and within limits. Everything was VFR, (visual flight rules) We literally circled the strip as low as we dare an had a good shufti to content ourselves that there were no boulders of dead kangaroos littering the place). We'd been in R/T contact with Alice Springs Air Traffic who gave us permission to crack on in the knowledge that once we were below 500ft or so, radio contact would be lost (VHF-line of sight).

There's a figure we used called ESWL (equivalent single wheel loading), which is the determinant as to what force per given footprint the undercarriage (supporting the total weight of the aircraft when taxiing or parked) exerts on the tarmac/concrete. At 'normal' operating tyre pressures for the VC10, we were way over the top, but doing the sums and using the ODM graphs, we got the ground-engineer to reduce tyre pressure to a level whereby we were safe to land, taxi and park.

We successfully completed our unloading, and flew back to Darwin for a couple of nights in the Travelodge Hotel. Lots of very cold beer. Taking off en-route to Singapore the next day, we suffered a low-oil-pressure-warning light and had to abort whilst accelerating through about 120kts. But that's another story.

Happy days. Happy memories.

britishtrident

posted on 3/1/13 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
Near me there used to live a squadie who was a driver in the army, one summer's day he was passing his mums house so he popped in for a cup of tea and parked his wagon outside his mums house, the wagon was a Mighty Antar complete with a semi-trailler complete with a Chieftain on the the back, naturally his visit made some very deep impressions in the street in more ways than one ------ it was like something straight out of "Garry Tank Commander".

[/I]

wylliezx9r

posted on 3/1/13 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sdh2903
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82

the interiors are fitted out to the customer's spec nothing to do with Boeing. Customer selects seat type, seat pitch, IFE etc, Boeing just fits it.

[Edited on 3/1/13 by sdh2903]

Yes but the seat configurations still have to fit into the Boeing architecture and be approved by them its not an open book.

George Best

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.