Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type9 Reverse Detent
DH2

posted on 2/1/13 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
Type9 Reverse Detent

The block in the tailhousing on my Type9, which is part of reverse detent mechanism (in conjunction with the lever), is missing.
I have a spare box, but cannot fathom a good method to get the damn thing out?
Or where I might procure a replacement?

DH2

phil m

posted on 2/1/13 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
if it's the same as the 4 speed box, then take out the gear lever and you should be able to see it through this hole. Then use a long drift to tap it out backwards.
alladdin

posted on 2/1/13 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DH2
The block in the tailhousing on my Type9, which is part of reverse detent mechanism (in conjunction with the lever), is missing.
I have a spare box, but cannot fathom a good method to get the damn thing out?
Or where I might procure a replacement?

DH2

if your after the plastic saddle part, i see them on ebay.

DH2

posted on 2/1/13 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phil m
if it's the same as the 4 speed box, then take out the gear lever and you should be able to see it through this hole. Then use a long drift to tap it out backwards.

I have the lever out, but I cannot get any purchase on the detent block to be able to whack it out... I can see I may have to fabricate something to be able to get a puller on it, which would be a bit tedious.

quote:
Originally posted by alladdin
if your after the plastic saddle part, i see them on ebay.

No, not the saddle, there is a metal block which should be in that slot to the top right of my photo - this stops the lever in the 1st-2nd gear plane, unless you push down to get over to reverse. Right now, it's not at all easy to get 1st!

DH2

alladdin

posted on 2/1/13 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
ok, got you now.

can you drill/tap and use a slide hammer ?

phil m

posted on 2/1/13 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
Think it's one of these

[img][/img]

[Edited on 2/1/13 by phil m]

DH2

posted on 2/1/13 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phil m
Think it's one of these

That's where it went!!!
I've been struggling to think why anyone would want to remove it...

David Jenkins

posted on 2/1/13 at 04:22 PM Reply With Quote
I removed mine by first removing the rear cover by tapping a "drift" from the gearstick side (my drift was actually a length of wood - the cover is only a stamped bit of tin). Then I put a long steel bar through the gearstick hole, held the bottem end against the end of the detent and smacked the bar with a hammer, just above the gearstick hole. This should shift the detent as it's only wedged in.

One warning - when it does shift it will fly across the garage and probably land in the most inconvenient place! (voice of experience).

note: easier to do than explain...

DH2

posted on 2/1/13 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
I removed mine by first removing the rear cover by tapping a "drift" from the gearstick side (my drift was actually a length of wood - the cover is only a stamped bit of tin). Then I put a long steel bar through the gearstick hole, held the bottem end against the end of the detent and smacked the bar with a hammer, just above the gearstick hole. This should shift the detent as it's only wedged in.

One warning - when it does shift it will fly across the garage and probably land in the most inconvenient place! (voice of experience).

note: easier to do than explain...

Thanks. I tried that by leaning on a gert-big screwdriver. Might need to try something a bit more brutal, but access through the top hole is a bit limited.

DH2

perksy

posted on 2/1/13 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
They can be a bugger to get out

Last one i did i used my multitool to grind a small 'slot' in it and then knocked it out with a drift

David Jenkins

posted on 2/1/13 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DH2
Thanks. I tried that by leaning on a gert-big screwdriver. Might need to try something a bit more brutal, but access through the top hole is a bit limited.

DH2

It won't lever out... I used steel bar around 15mm x 5mm to get behind the detent. The bar was around 1 metre long - I held the top, and hit it as low as I could manage. It's quite violent when it does go!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.