Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: subjected to adverts
jacko

posted on 3/1/13 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
subjected to adverts

Hi All what do people think about the advert of a bloke smoking a cig and Cancer is coming out the side
I saw this advert last night it was about 8pm
And why should NON smokers be subjected to this type of advert

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
djtom

posted on 3/1/13 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
to raise awareness and to turn public opinion against smokers, perhaps?
Daddylonglegs

posted on 3/1/13 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
There's always the channel change button

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

jacko

posted on 3/1/13 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by djtom

Yes you are probably right but they could put the advert on a 9 or 10pm not when Young children are watching tv

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 3/1/13 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Dunno what the point of it is. Why don't the Blunderment just do what the they do in Oz and make it illegal to smoke??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coozer

posted on 3/1/13 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
And while were on it, I'm nearly at the point of complaining about these adverts with African kids dying when I'm in the middle of my tea.

Why dont the African blunderments just stop buying guns and tanks and look after there own kids??

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

morcus

posted on 3/1/13 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I feel the same way, Just record everything and watch it later while you still can (I've heard theres plans to stop us skipping the ads on Sky plus).

Going back to the OP though I totally agree, it's a horrible thing to have to see and alot of the ad strikes me as nutsack anyway as it claims every 15 cigarettes 'will' causes a mutation and as far as I can tell doesn't give a reference to how this was found out and states it as fact which it can't be as nothing in the real world is that simple.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukUWvKi0tXs

I just rewatched it to be sure and deffitly doesn't give references and deffintly uses the word 'will'. I'm sure if you made an advert like this about any other product without qualifing it you'd get sued.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Slimy38

posted on 3/1/13 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Taking advertising overall though, when was the last time you took any notice? In my humble opinion, I think advertising has had it's day. I know that companies have to sell their products and services, but I'm much more likely to buy something off a personal recommendation or a Google search. Even my choice of charity donation has been based on my own views rather than influenced by adverts.

Oh yeah, and has anyone else noticed most channels now have much louder adverts than programmes? It used to be a couple of Sky channels, but now most channels I watch have to be turned down during the ads.

chillis

posted on 3/1/13 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
quote:

Yes you are probably right but they could put the advert on a 9 or 10pm not when Young children are watching tv

I think the point is to get it across to the youngsters not to start smoking in the first place. Shock advertising has shown itself to be effective - after all its being discussed here now and has become a talking point, awareness has therefore been raised - job done methinks

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

steve m

posted on 3/1/13 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
When the adverts come on, in our house, so does the mute button
I dont watch any of them, sometimes i close my eyes, and think for a couple of miniutes, normally about the next upgrade to my 7, or the new bird that i work with

Quite often the couple of miniutes thinking, turns into a 30 mins sleep
and ive missed the bloody programme !!!

stevebubs

posted on 3/1/13 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
When the adverts come on, in our house, so does the mute button
I dont watch any of them, sometimes i close my eyes, and think for a couple of miniutes, normally about the next upgrade to my 7, or the new bird that i work with

Quite often the couple of miniutes thinking, turns into a 30 mins sleep
and ive missed the bloody programme !!!

On the rare occasion we watch something live and the adverts come on, it's make the cup of tea and take a dump time...

..obviously not both at the same time...

JoelP

posted on 3/1/13 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by morcus
Going back to the OP though I totally agree, it's a horrible thing to have to see and alot of the ad strikes me as nutsack anyway as it claims every 15 cigarettes 'will' causes a mutation and as far as I can tell doesn't give a reference to how this was found out and states it as fact which it can't be as nothing in the real world is that simple.

They have probably come to that figure just from analysing figures. Most mutations will do bugger all, its incredibly unlucky to change one base out of however many millions there are and it happening to be in a change to a gene that leads to uncontrolled cell division (ie cancer), so one per 15 cigs is quite possible - they just dont mention that that mutation is less risky than running too far too fast.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

morcus

posted on 3/1/13 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
I not saying it's not possible, It's the use of the word 'will' and the fact that there is nothing to say how they got this figure.

Theres no way to prove it but I doubt that if I went out and smoked 150 cigarettes it would give me precisly ten mutations as the ad suggests. If they used a term like 'on average' it would be slightly more acceptable, but it should have a reference to how they got the data.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

JoelP

posted on 3/1/13 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
True enough morcus! I suppose since they arent selling cancer you cant do them for false advertising though!

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

James

posted on 3/1/13 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
quote:

Yeah, far better to get kids smoking and make them quit when they're older than to prevent them starting in the first place!

Anyway, how late are "young children" allowed to stay up? At 13 my bedtime was officially 7.30!!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

James

posted on 3/1/13 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
Dunno what the point of it is. Why don't the Blunderment just do what the they do in Oz and make it illegal to smoke?? [/quote

Eh? It's not illegal to smoke in Australia!

There's laws about smoking in certain places but it's not illegal.

Anyway, it's not as if banning them has worked with other narcotics, is it!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

SteveWalker

posted on 3/1/13 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
Oh yeah, and has anyone else noticed most channels now have much louder adverts than programmes? It used to be a couple of Sky channels, but now most channels I watch have to be turned down during the ads.

IIRC they are not actually louder (this was banned four years ago). I'm pretty sure that they cannot overly exceed the average volume of the programme that they appear in. However, as soon as this rule came in, they changed to compressed audio and therefore the frequencies where the power is concentrated, so that they are subjectively louder.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.