Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Updated:Help me start my MK Indy V6 tomorrow ! It started.
rb968

posted on 12/1/13 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
Updated:Help me start my MK Indy V6 tomorrow ! It started.

Please help!
I am trying to start my MK Indy with its newly installed V6 engine. Details here: Engine Conversion Thread

I have a Microsquirt and EDIS6 running the ignition. Running throttle bodies with Vauxhall injectors courtesy of clairetoo.

I had a bit of a disaster as after finishing wiring and initial setup and calibration my Macbook hard disk died

Claire sent me her msq which I have loaded but I spent today trying to get it to start.

I have double checked all my basic settings but am slightly confused over the cranking pulse width settings.

The online manuals talk about 88% of your req fuel figure (mine comes out at 13.7) for the lowest coolant temp and 28 % for the highest. However the table is a percentage not ms. It says cold start cranking PW should be 3 to 5 times the hot start value.

Anyway needless to say it would not start. We have spark, we have fuel pressure and fuel ( wet plugs) plus a few backfires and pops through the throttle bodies.
I have double checked the trigger wheel setup and VR sensor. We even pulled the cam covers off to check if we had ballsed up the valve timing when we changed the cam belt but all looks spot on.

Below are my settings . I modded the cranking PW for the coolant temperature today (-1 and 10 deg zones as it was between 4 and 6 deg C) Went lower % and higher but no difference. Suspicion is a wrong settings or its flooding buy need some advice!

It turns over about 300 rpm and seems to be struggling as if the timing was out as if its firing before TDC.

Please take a look at the screenshots below and let me know if you can see any glaring mistakes. Many thanks for reading all this !

Rich

[Edited on 13/1/13 by rb968]

clairetoo

posted on 12/1/13 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Have you wired the coil to the megasquirt / edis instructions - or to the drawing I sent with the plug leads ? If your getting popping through the throttle bodies , it could be down to firing order ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

rb968

posted on 12/1/13 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Claire,

As per your sketch I am sure. I will double check it tomorrow though.

Cheers

Rich

me!

posted on 12/1/13 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
I had something similar- pops through my throttle bodies that actually blew an injector blanking plug out! I swopped my HT leads to the opposite bank and off it went. Swopping the wires between the coil and edis will do the same.
alladdin

posted on 12/1/13 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
agree with above.
also with the edis 4, disconnecting the saw signal gives you limp mode so eliminates your map etc while troubleshooting.

you can trim fuel up/down using req. fuel value but if plugs are wet and its banging it sounds like ign issue.

rb968

posted on 12/1/13 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
I guess the more I think about it that would explain it. Stupidly we were thinking that as its wasted spark with the EDIS6 it was firing both pairs of sparks at the same time so dismissed plug wires.

I am sure they are right but will try swapping them tomorrow. God I hope its something simple like that!

Thanks.

[Edited on 12/1/13 by rb968]

alladdin

posted on 12/1/13 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
1st up ,, which pairs fire and whats the firing order
olimarler

posted on 12/1/13 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Ignore me!

Oops

[Edited on 12/1/13 by olimarler]

rb968

posted on 13/1/13 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Well spent another freezing afternoon in the garage and it starts and runs ( sort of).

It was plug leads. I had set them the way Claire told me to but having thought about it and re-read the details on the coil which fires in three pairs ACB and we had the cylinders set to run ABC. Swapped the two pairs and started first time. Sorry Claire not sure what is different between your setup and mine!

Took a few tweaks to the cranking settings to get it to start nicely and it was bloody cold.

Eventually got it starting and sorted the warm up enrichment to get it to idle but it wasn't running on all six in fact about 3/4 cylinders. On bank was barely running unless you opened the throttles. Flow meter showed one bank pulling a lot less so think its the balance between the banks or an air leak. In the video below you can see pulling plug leads on one bank having no real effect and when my dad opens that set of throttles more those cylinders start running hence the smoke off the exhaust wrap. Also the lc1 is in the bank not running which I think is why it's so rich but feel free to comment.

All in all a great day in the garage. Just need to get it sorted then can start straightening he car out ready for the good weather......

Thanks for all the advice.

Rich

clairetoo

posted on 13/1/13 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote

That looks soooooooooooooooooooooo right in there

I have found that balance is very important to low speed running - at tickover the throttles are virtually closed , so any slight error and it wont want to know......

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

rb968

posted on 13/1/13 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Claire thanks for all your help. Been looking forward to today for a few months!

Rich

alladdin

posted on 13/1/13 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
excellent where did you get those very nice throttle quadrants ?
rb968

posted on 13/1/13 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
That would be the work of clairetoo!

[Edited on 13/1/13 by rb968]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.