Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Sylva Striker VS MK Locost dilemma
Stevenbobs

posted on 19/1/13 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Sylva Striker VS MK Locost dilemma

I have an old Sylva Star that is a car purely in description. It's basically a bare chassis with some bodywork that's pretty scabby and really needs to be replaced. It has no engine, running gear, electrics, seats etc. The only thing it has going for it is that it has a valid V5 which states that it is a Sylva Star, albeit it has a Q plate.

on the other hand, I also have a MK Locost (live axle precursor to Indy). The MK is pretty much complete, but needs the wiring looked at and, more importantly needs put through the IVA.

My dilemma is whether to just sell the MK as-is and let someone else do the IVA on it and then concentrate on the Sylva Star. The problem with that is that the technology difference between the two is startling. The Sylva is based on old Viva running gear, whilst the MK is coils and wishbones. Also I'm having a real struggle tracking down bodywork or even moulds for the Sylva..

I've been wrestling with this for a while, so any suggestions are welcome.

Cheers.

mookaloid

posted on 19/1/13 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
keep the MK fix it up IVA it and enjoy

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

blakep82

posted on 19/1/13 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Keep the mk and put it through iva obviously :-)
Will be quickest, easier, cheaper, and probably a better car than the sylva tbh

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Confused but excited.

posted on 19/1/13 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for the MK.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

renetom

posted on 19/1/13 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
which

Hi
Definitely the MK, Flog the Silva with the V5 should sell well
Use the money on the Mk.
Or flog em both & buy a road legal ready made one.
Good luck whatever you decide
René

Neil2004
Contributor

Posts 44
Registered 21/1/04

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Purchased Sylva Star, updating with Zetec engine,

posted on 19/1/13 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
One important fact about the Sylva Star was that it was designed by Jeremy Philips who has since gone on to design many other successful kit cars. Although the Star uses Viva running gear this was chosen for good reasons. The front suspension and steering come as a complete assembly that once unbolted from the Viva was then bolted to the chassis of the Star. I believe that the only modification was to reduce the length of the springs slightly. Having a complete assembly like this has obvious benefits. It should also be noted that many 'hot rodders' also used this assembly for cars that they built. Another benefit of the design of the star is its near 50/50 weight distribution plus I believe it has a wider track than the MK. The downsides of the Star are its looks (it is definitely a 'Marmite' car) and the fact that it weighs more than a Lotus 7 style of car.
As to the issue of the bodywork you will find sourcing this a little difficult for the Star, however there was a full unused set that sold on EBay recently for £150. Also I believe the bonnet from the latest Sylva Leader will also fit. Last year there was one on EBay that you could have bought for 99p.
Finally as to the question as to which should you make roadworthy? There is an argument that you should plan to get both road legal but in the first instance I would suggest concentrating on the MK. Completing the MK first will give you the opportunity to source the bodywork for the Star. The MK will be worth more with an IVA than without one and once on the road you may decide that you would rather not complete the Star and sell this. Note I believe that you should be able to sell the Star for a minimum of £450 given it is road registered.

theduck

posted on 19/1/13 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Just googled sylva star as I had not heard of it before. Dear god they are looks only a mother could love!
bi22le

posted on 20/1/13 at 12:18 AM Reply With Quote
sell both and start fresh is what i would do.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Stevenbobs

posted on 20/1/13 at 12:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
sell both and start fresh is what i would do.

That's what I'm tempted to do.. The biggest problem with the MK is that the IVA process appears to be pretty daunting. I bought the car pretty much complete on ebay. I only realised when researching the IVA process that I would need build photographs and receipts as part of the process. Neither of which I have. I can get the build photographs by stripping it back to the chassis and building it up again, but it doesn't resolve the receipt issues.

Don't mean for this to sound like a whine.. it's just bl00dy frustrating..

snapper

posted on 20/1/13 at 07:18 AM Reply With Quote
Receipts and photos can all be resolved
You have an MK why not complete it

Just seen the Star and re read your post
To contemplate getting the star on the road and your comments on IVA say it all
Your scared of IVA and don't want to do it
Don't put the Star on the road it's not what you realy want, it's very old and the donor bits are rare
The MK can pass IVA with little problem it's just a matter of building up your evidence, the test itself is not a big deal

[Edited on 20/1/13 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.