Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Snug? Comfortable? Contorted?
jps

posted on 21/1/13 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Snug? Comfortable? Contorted?

I'm at the point where i'm trying to work out where to mount my seat, position my pedals, gear lever and handbrake and site my steering wheel in my Haynes Roadster

It's all feeling a bit 'cosy' to say the least, quite possibly uncomfortable if i'm brutally honest.

Arms are outstretched further than i'd like to reach the wheel, but the pedals as the right distance away, my elbow hits my ribs when I change into 4th, and the handbrake is where I want to rest my arm on the transmission tunnel....

I seem to remember hearing that you sat diagonally twisted round in a Lancia Stratos looking sideways out of the windscreen with your head tilted to one side to get under the roof, and I'd put up with that if i had one...

Is this par for the course with a 7 cockpit layout?

BenB

posted on 21/1/13 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
There's really no reason to be uncomfortable. This is, after all, a one-off car built around you. No need to compromise with comfort. Can't you bring the wheel nearer you?
mark chandler

posted on 21/1/13 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is made to the original book so smaller and very comfy.

I suggest you sit in a sports car that suits you, then measure and align to your build, steering wheel rake, reach and position are easy to set at the build stage, seat position is defined from the pedals backwards.

Smoking Frog

posted on 21/1/13 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Do you have an after market steering wheel and boss as this will usually bring the steering wheel closer.

Eddie

loggyboy

posted on 21/1/13 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
The datum generally in kit cars is the pedal position, so seats need be adjusted from there to suit leg length, from there that sets the steering postion that can be adjusted by spacing the column, or large steering bosses. Gear stick location is generally one of 2, standard type 9 or add the extension peice to pull it towards the drive by about 6-8 inches.
Hand brake again is fairly flexible if your prepared to reengineer the mounts and cable lengths.

Mistral Motorsport

deezee

posted on 21/1/13 at 03:29 PM Reply With Quote
How tall are you? My car is as per the book but with the adjustable column from the Sierra (height adjustable) and sliding seat runners. I find that at 5'10" that the pedals are too far away in my Haynes Roadster. To get full use of my clutch, my seat is all the way forward and I can rest my forearm on the steering wheel.

BangedupTiger

posted on 21/1/13 at 03:37 PM Reply With Quote
Mines uncomfortable, but i'm to lazy to go on a diet, so just wedge my fat arse in and get on with it.

These cars arent really designed for 6'3, 20 stone lumps.

jps

posted on 21/1/13 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
At the moment it's a Type E with the standard (adjustable) Sierra steering column and wheel. If the steering wheel were narrower it would be slightly more comfortable - the standard Sierra one feels like a bus steering wheel!

I'm just under 6 foot but with long body and, relatively, short arms. The pedals are a comfortable distance away, however my arms are almost fully outstretched to reach the steering wheel. The gear lever is pretty much in line with the steering wheel in 3rd gear...

Appreciate it should all be modifiable - just wondered if I was on a hiding to nothing.

I'll try lifting the back of the seat first - to push my shoulders nearer to the steering wheel. If that doesn't work I will look at shifting the steering wheel nearer to me and lower - but i'll need to re-engineer the chassis for that as it can't go any lower than it is due to a chassis rail being in the way!

Incidentally, i have an MT75 tunnel, there is also precious little space for my feet amongst the pedals. Do we all get issued with little 'race driver booties' when we pass IVA?

Here's a pic as it is at the mo (in 4th)...

steve m

posted on 21/1/13 at 05:50 PM Reply With Quote
Looks the same as most other locosts ive seen. including mine, but as im only 5'3" tall, i do not have a problem

The tunnel design could be rejigged to taper at the top, and this would give an extra inch in both seating area's
as certainly my prop tunnel, is large enough to put about 4 more props in there, and still drive
apart from that, its a visit to the local weightwatchers, (not that im saying your fat !!!)

jps

posted on 21/1/13 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
Looks the same as most other locosts ive seen. including mine, but as im only 5'3" tall, i do not have a problem

The tunnel design could be rejigged to taper at the top, and this would give an extra inch in both seating area's
as certainly my prop tunnel, is large enough to put about 4 more props in there, and still drive
apart from that, its a visit to the local weightwatchers, (not that im saying your fat !!!)

Fatness is not a problem - it's more the relative length of stuff - I think i'll have to take a good look at the steering setup if putting the seat more upright doesn't sort it...

Bare

posted on 21/1/13 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Too Small? Really?
Lotus Sevens were small.
Despite that many 200 pounders did fit.. or made themselves fit :-)
Haynes/locust chassis is markedly larger... Should be No problem at all unless ~300 pounds.
In which case a Bus may offer preferable accomodations?

bigfoot4616

posted on 21/1/13 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
i would forget the steering wheel until you have the seat right for the pedals.
then get the steering wheel in the right place but use the size of wheel that your planning on using.

no need to compromise at this stage of your build

johnwilders

posted on 21/1/13 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
As has already been said I started with the pedals, Then the seat, Harnesses, Then the steering wheel, Gages & switches, The gear lever remote I made to my own shape & size (a bit odd) The handbrake I had already fitted to the top of the trans tunnel but that was horrible & I couldn’t live with it so I managed to get hold of a midget handbrake & mounted it on the side of the tunnel, I made and covered foam armrest to cover the old handbrake hole. The car fits like a glove now & I love it. Fair bit of work to get rid of the old handbrake but well worth the effort.
ashg

posted on 21/1/13 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
ok on my roadster i have raised the seat by an inch at the back and added a 1 inch spacer between the steering wheel and mounting boss. i can safely say the driving position is absolutely spot after almost 3 years of driving im 5ft11.

also im 5'11 187pounds an easily fit in a proper 7 i have several friends in the local club who are bigger than me in all dimensions and they also squeeze in to their caterhams with reasonable ease, by comparison driver/passenger space on the haynes is huge, its easily 4 inches wider and 6-8inches longer in the seating area.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

ashg

posted on 21/1/13 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
just so im clear. bring the steering wheel closer to you, either put a spacer between the wheel and boss or if its still too far away cut the steering frame off and move it forward a bit (you should be able to move it forward by at least 1-2 inches before it hits the back of the dash). as for the hand brak leaver in the way, yep its crap you can either off set it to the side like silva do or fit the propshaft then lower the mounting brackets as low as you can to sink the lever then move it forward. then shape the top of the tunnel over it like on a caterham

< br />
[Edited on 21/1/2013 by ashg]

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.