Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec head oil-retaining valve
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 5/2/13 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec head oil-retaining valve

I'm truly annoyed with myself his evening! Was bolting the final parts onto my newly put together engine, and realised I'd forgotten to change the oil-retaining valve in the head on my zetec.

Whilst it isn't totally necessary to do it, I've gone this far and thought I might as well do it.

For those not in the know, this goes in the oil way in the head.

According to Mr Haynes, removal of the old unit is easy; simply insert a self-tapping screw into the breather hole and pull it out. The new item can then be tapped/pressed into place. But the worst thing possible has happened to me - the valve was in quite tough, and despite me pilling on it, the screw has sheared off! What's the best way around this? I was thinking just knock the old screw out and try the same thing again after a soak in releasing fluid, but my main concern is that I don't know how far down the oil way goes and if I can easily extract the broken offending article.

As the whole block is bolted together, I'm really trying to avoid taking the damn thing apart. Any suggestions?!?

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

madteg

posted on 6/2/13 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
Have you any pictures.
Paul Turner

posted on 6/2/13 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
If it was working before it should be fine but if you had any porting work etc carried out it should be changed other wise swarf cannot be cleaned out of the oil way. The head really need to be off since you don't want this swarf getting into your new engine. Be crazy for the cost of a new headgasket.
will121

posted on 6/2/13 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by madteg
Have you any pictures.

I would be interested in a photo as overhauled my cylinder head and not heard of a oil retaining valve

Charlie_Zetec

posted on 14/2/13 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Will121, have sent you a u2u.

Madteg, can't seem to upload pics at the moment; if you drop me your e-mail address, I can send you some!

Philwaters7

posted on 11/10/13 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Charlie,

How did you get on. Sorry for dragging this thread up but I'm a long term lurker, but have just hit a similar problem, expect that whilst the valve came out a couple of years ago (long term project!!), I now can't seem to get hold of a replacement. Both my local Ford dealers can't find it on their system, with my nearest saying it only comes with a cyl head (defeats me just fitting big valves and porting ). I looked on their screens with them and their exploded view doesn't separate it out (unlike the Haynes manual). I do wonder if it hasn't just been deleted as a stand alone part.

Did you get hold of a new one - if so, I don't suppose you have a part number I could wave under their nose? Otherwise I am going to have to draw it up and get one (or three) made.

Phil Waters

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul Turner

posted on 11/10/13 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Try Scholar Engines, usually have such items in stock.
Philwaters7

posted on 14/10/13 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Paul - life saver!! They have a few on the shelf, so posting one out today

Ford, apparently have stopped making them

Phil Waters

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 14/10/13 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Phil, glad you got one sorted. Have you got the standard replacement one, or the modified later one? No real difference really if they're both new and OE, so good luck. And thanks for Paul suggesting that Scholar had them in stock, I've made a note of that!

Philwaters7

posted on 14/10/13 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
I've asked for one of the newer ones, as that is what I was running in my other head and didn't have any problems. My understanding is that the design changed at the same time as the oil viscosity spec was changed to 5w/30. I've got a v1 on my desk and compared it to the v2 one in the spare head and the newer one has a raised section of about 8mm, with a 4 or 5mm hole down to a very small hole at the bottom - this small hole is present on the old one, it just doesn't have the raised section.

Anyway, thanks again... I was starting to think I was going to have to have a couple made!

Phil Waters

will121

posted on 14/10/13 at 12:36 PM Reply With Quote
is there a photo of one of the valves as still cant recognise what it is?
Philwaters7

posted on 14/10/13 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Have a look here

The item in question in item 6 in the Haynes manual diagram and it fits into the hole on the right hand side, half way up the head, between the cam follower holes.

Phil Waters

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.