Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zetec cam pulleys
Dooey99

posted on 9/2/13 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
zetec cam pulleys

Didn't realize camshafts on a zetec didn't have key ways for the cam pulleys... Anyone that can explain roughly how to do them just need the basics really

Less weight more speed, more power more speed

If in doubt, give it a clout

adithorp

posted on 9/2/13 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Lock the cams with a bar in the other end across the head. Set the crank to TDC with the pulley mark. Slacken the cam pulley bolts and knock the pulleys loose on the tappers. Fit the belt, release the tensioner and lock up tighten the cam pully bolts, remove locking bar. Turn 2 turns back to crank timing marks and recheck cam position with locking bar.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

ChrisLeary

posted on 9/2/13 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
The cam pulleys rotate on the camshaft so that the belt can be adjusted.

If the belt isn't fitted, you can either buy a kit, or use a 5mm steel plate to lock the cams, they'll only lock one way, if the plate won't go into the back of the cams, turn them 180 Degrees. Then ensure the engine is at TDC, fit the belt with the cam pulleys loosened using a reaction tool (Don't rely on the plate to hold the cams while you loosen the pulley, I think it can twist the camshaft).

Then take out the slack in the belt from the crank to the exhaust pulley, tighten the pulley, again, with the reaction tool, take out the slack to the inlet pulley, tighten this pulley and allow the tensioner to do the rest. Remove the 5mm plate. Then turn the engine by hand a few times and check the timing and belt tension again.

I hope that makes sense.

Regards,

Chris

ChrisLeary

posted on 9/2/13 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Lock the cams with a bar in the other end across the head. Set the crank to TDC with the pulley mark. Slacken the cam pulley bolts and knock the pulleys loose on the tappers. Fit the belt, release the tensioner and lock up tighten the cam pully bolts, remove locking bar. Turn 2 turns back to crank timing marks and recheck cam position with locking bar.

Beaten to it!

Chris

robocog

posted on 9/2/13 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
TIP:
DONT use the locking bar at the back of the cams to hold things still whilst tightening the pulley bolts - bad things can happen

DO use a tool that holds the pulleys still whilst torquing up

Mine is a simple piece of bar with a couple of bolts to poke in the pulleys spokes
You can get fancy ones that do the same task

Regards
Rob

rusty nuts

posted on 9/2/13 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
If it's working use the search facility, Zetec cam timing has been covered several times
Paul Turner

posted on 9/2/13 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
Dooey99

Just do what I did the same day I bought my first Zetec form the scrappies, go to Halfords or similar and get a Haynes manual for the model the engine was out of. It details how to dismantle and reassemble, how to make tools for cam timinn and hold the pulleys plus it has all the torque setting which are essential when you put it back together.

The A series, X-flow and Pinto manuals I bought years ago have been worth every penny.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.