Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Speedo "jumps"
scoobyis2cool

posted on 27/9/04 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
Speedo "jumps"

I had my SVA this morning and there was a problem with the speedo - although it seemed accurate most of the time, every now and then the needle would jump by about 10mph and then drop back down again. This was as the inspector was accelerating gradually.

Can anyone think why this would be happening? My best guess is that the sensor is giving some kind of a fluctuating signal, would this happen if the sensor was positioned too close to the magnets or maybe if its mounting bracket was vibrating, altering the clearance between the sensor and the magnets?

Cheers

Pete

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 27/9/04 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
sounds like the first port of call to me - good luck with the re-test.

ATB
Locoboy

ady8077

posted on 27/9/04 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Pete

Is it a greenguage speedo with the reed switch?

If so i had a simular prob and had to move the sensor closer to the magnets, it still flicks slightly but only past 90

Adrian

scoobyis2cool

posted on 27/9/04 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Adrian,

No it's a Smiths Instruments gauge from their Telemetrix range, but it sounds like it could well be the same problem.

Did you find that it would suddenly flick up by about 10mph and then drop back to the correct value?

I'll get it up on axle stands and open up the prop tunnel tomorrow and see if I can sort it out

Cheers

Pete

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
GasGasGas

posted on 27/9/04 at 08:16 PM Reply With Quote
Could be a voltage spike, is there a voltage regulator on it or the instrument loom ?
scoobyis2cool

posted on 27/9/04 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GasGasGas
Could be a voltage spike, is there a voltage regulator on it or the instrument loom ?

I don't really know what one looks like but I'm pretty sure there isn't one in my loom!

Pete

David Jenkins

posted on 27/9/04 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scoobyis2cool
No it's a Smiths Instruments gauge from their Telemetrix range...

Smiths, CA and Greengauges are all the same company, working from the same address in Caerbont, S. Wales. Always useful to know, when you've got a problem.

I go for moving the sensor closer to the magnets.

Happy problem solving!

David

ady8077

posted on 27/9/04 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Pete

Mine went about 10 mph above and below, got worst at 60 mph, my gaps about 1mm now and is steady till past 80

Adrian

Hellfire

posted on 28/9/04 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
As stated course of action... good luck with the retest!

scoobyis2cool

posted on 28/9/04 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Well looks like the replies are pretty unanimous. I was a bit worried when I fitted the sensor, the bracket was only fairly flimsy ally and I was worried about it vibrating, if only I'd replaced it at the time!

Oh well, I'd better get out to the garage and start ripping my car apart again...

Cheers

Pete

Hellfire

posted on 29/9/04 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
Scoob - isn't that pretty much par for the course?

scoobyis2cool

posted on 29/9/04 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
Scoob - isn't that pretty much par for the course?

You're not wrong there! It seems that every week my car goes from the finished vehicle to a pile of bits and back again at least 5 times!

Pete

SteveO

posted on 29/9/04 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
I had the same problem and failed my SVA.
Its caused by too many magnets on the prop and the sensor not picking up the gaps at high speed or in my case above 50mph. i phoned CA and they told me to reduce and use 1 or 2 magnets only- used 2 which was enough to pass SVA but its not accurate; even with the gap very close. I might reduce to 1 magnet and see if it better. The bike speedo is good as a second backup.

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.