Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: st150 flywheel weight?
mikey p

posted on 12/2/13 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
st150 flywheel weight?

Has anyone had one on the scales? not sure if to get one of these
http://www.turbosportraceparts.com/acatalog/Flywheels.html - (Ford Duratec Billet Steel light weight flywheel 3.1kg) or stick with a standard st150 flywheel.

Is it just the ford and mx5 flywheels which are different sizes and hence need different starter motors or do the ford sizes vary through the range?

Thanks
Mike

MkIndy7

posted on 12/2/13 at 10:14 AM Reply With Quote
Cant help on the weight but im pretty sure The Ford solid and DMF flywheels have different diameters, hence the different starters.

I think from memory the MX5 is a different diameter still or the ring gear is Nearer or Further from the crank adding another dimension still.
I seem to remember our ST150 starter onto a MX5 flywheels is spaced off it's mountings and has had part of the starter gear ground away so it engages properly (men's the ring tear is likely to be further from the crank)

Maybe a good way would be to look up the part numbers of the starters somewhere to compare.

pjay

posted on 12/2/13 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MkIndy7
pretty sure The Ford solid and DMF flywheels have different diameters, hence the different starters.

Agree - the ST150 flywheel is smaller than the Mondeo DM flywheel.

In terms of weight the ST150 flywheel comes out at 8.4Kg on my scales.

mikey p

posted on 13/2/13 at 10:58 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that! I have asked the question to turbosport to see which sizes the one they sell is..... if its the same as a st150 I will give it a go as it quite a saving on the original.

Will update when I know.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.