Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: insulating garage roof...condensation issues
tegwin

posted on 12/2/13 at 10:44 PM Reply With Quote
insulating garage roof...condensation issues

Right then...

Garage is a single concrete block construction. I built a new roof on it last year but stupidly (couldnt afford to) didn't insulate it.

Regret this because it gets rather cold inside as the roof is just OSB and a thin layer of plastic...

My lathe and other tools are slowly starting to go rusty so I figured if I could insulate the roof to prevent heatloss I might be able to run a small heater to dry things out...

My plan was to fill the "cells" between the rafters with 6" of insulation foam leaving a gap between the foam and the OSB roof deck so that air can flow in under the weatherboards and between the insulation and the underside of the roof deck..

All good so I order some insulation and put up half of it... went back the next evening to find condensation dripping out between the rafters and the insulation... The sun had been out so I guess it had heated the area above the insulation and then when the temp dropped it all condensed...

My question is, what do I do!? Carry on fitting the insulation and try and seal the joints with tape!? All I want is the garage to be a little warmer/dryer...

Any thoughts!?

Half the insulation up:

Empty "cell"

Condensation

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

coyoteboy

posted on 13/2/13 at 12:05 AM Reply With Quote
Condensation occurs where warm moist air hits cold surfaces. If the bulk of the garage is poorly insulated you won't stop the roof being cold inside and poor ventilation means you'll get condensation on any cold spot. I have similar issues, but I'm resigned to re-building the garage with insulated walls and fully sealed structure rather than the sectional arrangement that I have now (trust me, I can't get any more ventilation!). Often I find my donor engine running with condensation.

That's a very large turbocharger at the back there.

[Edited on 13/2/13 by coyoteboy]

cliftyhanger

posted on 13/2/13 at 07:56 AM Reply With Quote
Where is all the water coming from? I suspect no membrane in the floor. You need to get rid of the water, heat won't do that (the air just holds more water, so when it cools it creates more condensation)

My non-insulated garage isn't anywhere near as bad as yours sounds, but I do have very good ventilation. Either that or seal everything and get a dehumidifier in there.

Now, 6" of board is massive (you must have deep pockets!!) and an inch would /should be enough for what you are trying to achieve. I think it needed to be hard up against the roofdeck, as there is no way you are getting airflow between at the moment.

On another note, I hope you used treated timber, not clear from the pics.....

You could be fighting a losing battle here. The old saying involves silk purse and sows ear I believe. Not helpful, but you may need to be realistic about what can be done with what you have. And if you need to start from scratch

jossey

posted on 13/2/13 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Insulate the walls with that silver foil cheap stuff. Won't solve the issue but will make it better.

There is no answer in a garage really.

I use a dehumidifier when I'm working in the garage.

Dry air is a lot easier n cheaper to heat too.

Good luck....

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 13/2/13 at 09:05 AM Reply With Quote
Take the insulation out, glue the roof and stick it straight to it, you don't need airflow there inside the garage. Put some corrugated sheet on the outside to add another layer of protection.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

tegwin

posted on 13/2/13 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the input guys. Not what I wanted to hear but useful advice

If I can get a cheap dehumidifier in there to dry the place out and then glue the insulation to the underside of the roof deck...that might be the best approach... Any suggestions for a glue? I could use expanding spray foam but that stuff is pretty uncontrollable!

If I am running a dehumid unit in the garage am I going to have any negative issues? I guess the dry walls inside will encourage water from the outside to "flow" through the walls... but the walls are rendered and painted so should be reasonably impervious...

@coyoteboy...Yes it is a BIG turbo :p Actually the start of a smal jet engine project...although I haven't touched it for nearly a year

[Edited on 13/2/13 by tegwin]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

JeffHs

posted on 13/2/13 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
I cured my condensation with 1 inch polystyrene jammed up to the corrugated roof sheets and held in place by 4mm ply. There's some water staining on the ply but nothing ever drips. It's a crappy sectional garage because the council wouldn't let me have a brick one due to the drains underneath it. Before I fitted the insulation it used to 'rain' inside when there was a sudden temperature change.
I've got an attached workshop that is roofed with clear corrugated sheet. That had similar condensation problems that I fixed with bubble wrap.

cliftyhanger

posted on 13/2/13 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
4" nails in the joists keep the boards up no need for glue.

Try the silicone water repellent on the outside of the blocks. Maybe inject the floor slab?
even batten/board the inside of the walls. Thin polystyrene behind can help a lot too.

Dehumidifiers can be shockingly expensive to run constantly, and you MUST get the place sealed totally otherwise you are dehumidifying fresh air all the time.

Not Anumber

posted on 13/2/13 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
+1 for bonding the insulation directly to the roof. The void between the roof and insulated cieling is working against you here. The cold air gets into the void, condenses on the roof and water drops down on the top of the insulation.

Use gun grade expanding foam to bond the insulation to the ceiling and to seal the edges to the rafters. This is similar to the DIY stuff that places like B&Q sell but the gun makes it an awful lot more controlable, chalk and cheese. Its what all the wndow fitters use. Places such as Screwfix often do a deals on a foam gun budled with a couple of cans of foam and a can of cleaner.

If you can sarfifice a tiny bit of width in there then glue sheets of closed cell insulation to all the walls. 25 to 30mm will make a big difference, 50mm ideal if you have the space. So long as there isn't dampness getting in thrugh the floor or leaking in somewhere your condensation problem will have gone away and you will have a garage that will be very easy to heat and will stay warm.

BenB

posted on 13/2/13 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Yup. Heat rises so the hot water vapour is going up into the void, condesning on the underside of the roof and dripping down. Personally I'd just leave the insulation in place and seal around the edges with some silicon sealant (you could use expanding foam but doing that overhead sounds unfun and its godawful messy stuff).
JoelP

posted on 13/2/13 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
As has been alluded to, the problem is when warm wet air gets behind the insulation. You would only want ventilation above the insulation if it is venting to outside, like your house eaves. Typically you would have a damp proof membrane on the warm side, specifically to stop air getting round it. You would also normally have a breather membrane on the outside below your tiles (allows water vapour through but not drops), to ensure water doesnt get trapped inside the roof structure - but this is more for houses than garages.

If you can insulate the walls to some degree, then a 100w light bulb can be a nice way to keep some steady heat in the place. Maybe a damp meter on the floor to see if this is sweating damp through?

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

van cleef

posted on 13/2/13 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
The only reason it is causing condensation is because your leaking warm air above your insulation. You need the insulation air tight around the edges and silicone isn't really any use as it has no thermal value. Best thing is probably expansion foam and trimming the excess off after it has fully cured. You should have a high u value with the thickness of the insulation there, and having a gap above the insulation shouldn't cause any harm, as long as the air above it is roughly the same ambient temperature as outside, hence not leaking any warm air into the cavity above.

If that's a flat roof on the outside you should of created a warm roof from the outside doing away with any cold bridges if you wanted to heat the garage.

http://www.flatroofs.co.uk/flat-roof-insulation/

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.