Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mazda V6 measurements please!
KFC

posted on 13/2/13 at 10:07 AM Reply With Quote
Mazda V6 measurements please!

Hi all,
I'm still undecided on what engine to put in a locost/caterham replica as the engine bay is quite small. I want to have twin exhaust, gorgeous sound and be able to rebuild on a sensible budget. I'm after the measurements across the width, cam cover to cam cover, widest part.

I've looked at the Rover V8 3.5L as it will fit, but I think it's going to be too big, too much power and torque, servicing a nightmare. It wouldn't be so bad if it had a capacity of 2.8 still as a V8, it would have an amazing sound. The hayabusa V8 is perfect but 20k??

The BMW 3.0L V8 sound really nice but over head cam makes the engine too wide to fit.

Any suggestions?

[Edited on 13/2/13 by KFC]

mcerd1

posted on 13/2/13 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
you want to talk to our resident mazda V6 expert clairetoo

they are fairly small and light yet can make over 200bhp NA on throttle bodies

see claire's most recent little project here:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=161146

quote:
Originally posted by KFC
I've looked at the Rover V8 3.5L as it will fit, but I think it's going to be too big, too much power and torque...

3.5 RV8 with too much power???? pull the other one :lol:
the std. carb'd ones are lucky if they make more than 150 bhp adn upgrades arn't cheap

[Edited on 13/2/2013 by mcerd1]

-

mark chandler

posted on 13/2/13 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
V6 jag, comes with gearbox as well with the right donor, s type can be 240bhp out the box.
rb968

posted on 13/2/13 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
I have some measurements somewhere, will dig them out or have a measure for you tomorrow night. Claire might have them memorised ;-)

Here are details of my build..... http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/21/viewthread.php?tid=175336

Rich

[Edited on 13/2/13 by rb968]

KFC

posted on 14/2/13 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
V6 jag, comes with gearbox as well with the right donor, s type can be 240bhp out the box.

I'm not sure it will fit in as the Mazda would? Would you have dimensions?

KFC

posted on 14/2/13 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rb968
I have some measurements somewhere, will dig them out or have a measure for you tomorrow night. Claire might have them memorised ;-)

Here are details of my build..... http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/21/viewthread.php?tid=175336

Rich

[Edited on 13/2/13 by rb968]

Hey Rich,
That looks brilliant!
That's pretty much what I want to! I would like to build my own car from scratch, I've built race cars so it won't be a problem, just time consuming. Out of curiosity, can I ask what you paid for the rolling chassis? Well, it had a bike engine. I've not had time to go through your thread theory, I want to absorb if fully. When do you think it will be done? Have you had a look inside the engine?

Kevin

rb968

posted on 14/2/13 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Rolling chassis cost me about £1800 if I remember right.

It's just about ready. Just finished clipping all the coolant hoses in, mounted the expansion tank and the exhausts are finished.

Few wires to tidy and p clip. Rebuild tunnel and fits seats and mirrors.

Then the fun begins. Change engine with DVLA etc then hopefully take it out and let autotune hopefully get it running ok.

Not had the engine open so it's a usual breakers yard punt but it looks clean as a whistle under the cam covers and started fine. Changed the cam belt and water pump.

Any questions let me know (Clairetoo is the real expert on these engines though!)

Rich

KFC

posted on 20/2/13 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, think I'm convinced!

quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
you want to talk to our resident mazda V6 expert clairetoo

they are fairly small and light yet can make over 200bhp NA on throttle bodies

see claire's most recent little project here:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=161146

quote:
Originally posted by KFC
I've looked at the Rover V8 3.5L as it will fit, but I think it's going to be too big, too much power and torque...

3.5 RV8 with too much power???? pull the other one :lol:
the std. carb'd ones are lucky if they make more than 150 bhp adn upgrades arn't cheap

[Edited on 13/2/2013 by mcerd1]

KFC

posted on 20/2/13 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the info! Think I might go for the MX-5 conversion route!!

quote:
Originally posted by rb968
Rolling chassis cost me about £1800 if I remember right.

It's just about ready. Just finished clipping all the coolant hoses in, mounted the expansion tank and the exhausts are finished.

Few wires to tidy and p clip. Rebuild tunnel and fits seats and mirrors.

Then the fun begins. Change engine with DVLA etc then hopefully take it out and let autotune hopefully get it running ok.

Not had the engine open so it's a usual breakers yard punt but it looks clean as a whistle under the cam covers and started fine. Changed the cam belt and water pump.

Any questions let me know (Clairetoo is the real expert on these engines though!)

Rich

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.