Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Xflow cooling fan switch, radiator or top of head?
steve m

posted on 21/2/13 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Xflow cooling fan switch, radiator or top of head?

Having changed my Radiator to a polo one, on the xflow, i now have a cooling fan switch on the rad, as well as the water filler on top hose/head

which is the better one to use, rad or head switch, or could i even use both, but independently ?

regards

Steve

snapper

posted on 21/2/13 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Don't see it as an issue, there only a foot apart and temp won't change much in that distance
If pushed I would go for head temp as its the engine temp not rad temp that is critical

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Paul Turner

posted on 21/2/13 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Had it in the head filler on the cross flow and now in the radiator with the Zetec. Works fine in either location.

Don't wire both in, you may end up confusing something.

phil m

posted on 21/2/13 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
Mines a cross flow with the fan switch in the polo rad

britishtrident

posted on 21/2/13 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
Job of the fan switch is to control the radiator outlet temperature not the engine temperature, provided the rad outlet temperature is not too high the engine temp is controlled by the thermostat.

Just screw a 22mm fan switch in to the Polo rad, choose a switch the switches in a few degrees higher than the thermostat fully open temperature and switches back off close to but still slightly above the thermostat temp.

The 22mm fan switches used by some Fiats including the early Pandas have standard spade connectors so you don't need a special plug.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

steve m

posted on 21/2/13 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all,

BT, im your experiance, which is better rad switch, or top of block ??
or does it really not make that much difference

Steve

britishtrident

posted on 21/2/13 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Rad switches were more or less standard practice until manufacturers switched to using ECU control for the fan. Ford were the exception to this probably for production reasons.

[/I]

renetom

posted on 21/2/13 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
fan switch

Hi Steve
We have a polo rad with a fan switch in
& it works fine , when the temp gauge says 95
it switches on & off when the temp drops
Whatever your little heart desires.
good luck
René.

Paul Turner

posted on 21/2/13 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Rad switches were more or less standard practice until manufacturers switched to using ECU control for the fan. Ford were the exception to this probably for production reasons.

On the Zetec Silvertop the fan switch was in the thermostat housing. In the Zetec Blacktop fitted to the Focus the fan was ECU controlled with sensor in the head.

joemotion

posted on 27/2/13 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry to hijack but Im after a rad thermo switch for a polo rad that comes on about 85 degrees. The one i have is coming on at near on 100 and is getting too hot. Can anybody link me to somewhere on the bay that supplies the right one?

Cheers

Joe

[Edited on 27/2/13 by joemotion]

Trollyjack

posted on 27/2/13 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joemotion
Sorry to hijack but Im after a rad thermo switch for a polo rad that comes on about 85 degrees. The one i have is coming on at near on 100 and is getting too hot. Can anybody link me to somewhere on the bay that supplies the right one?

Cheers

Joe

Does you rad switch have 2 or three conections some have 3 and they can switch at either 90°c or 100°c

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
joemotion

posted on 27/2/13 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Cant remember offhand without checking but probably just the two wires going in. Either way can one be purchased that kicks in lower? I like her sitting no more than 85
Trollyjack

posted on 27/2/13 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Cant remember offhand without checking but probably just the two wires going in. Either way can one be purchased that kicks in lower? I like her sitting no more than 85

Try here Radiator Fan Temperature Switch Audi/Vw 06031 | eBay
Radiator Fan Temperature Switch Audi/Vw 06031

This one switches at 87°c

TrollyJack

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
joemotion

posted on 28/2/13 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers
britishtrident

posted on 28/2/13 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Cheers

Joe

97c is a typical cutting temp for a rad fan 85c is very very low even if you have an 88c thermostat.

Coolant boils about 118c if the cooling system is water/steam tight.

[/I]

Paul Turner

posted on 28/2/13 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
When I ran a x-flow it was always fitted with a 74 degree stat and ran at 78 degrees summer and winter. The radiator fan switch was 85 degrees and the set up worked perfectly. Never had a head gasket problem or other similar failure in 14 years. Pretty sure the 74 degree stat is no longer available, the last one I had was sold on e-bay for a stupid price as bidders went crazy for it, even got bids form the US.

The current Zetec has an 88 degree stat in it with a 95 degree fan switch, again the set up works perfectly summer and winter and has done for 11 years.

greed1

posted on 28/2/13 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Im running a 75 degree stat from a jaguar, temperature stays at 78 although not had chance to run it in the summer yet fan just on a switch on the dash soon to be an 85 degree switch in the top hose. No problems so far

Drive it stright sideways

David Jenkins

posted on 28/2/13 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner
Had it in the head filler on the cross flow and now in the radiator with the Zetec. Works fine in either location.

Don't wire both in, you may end up confusing something.

I have wired both switches in parallel - basically, I had to plug the hole in the radiator with something, so I used a thermostat! Wired them both in parallel, on the principle that if one fails, the other will still do the job. Works nicely, and no problems found after many years of use.

[Edited on 28/2/13 by David Jenkins]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.