Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: brake caliper choice
rodgling

posted on 24/2/13 at 03:59 PM Reply With Quote
brake caliper choice

Trying to decide on a decent/light 4-pot caliper for the fronts... Wilwood seem best value for money, but their product range is a bit confusing. I get the impression that in the UK it's a choice between Powerlite or Midilite (I think the Midilite is essentially a variant of the US Dynapro, not sure though?).

So, for a 700 kg 7 with 320 bhp, doing trackdays, will the powerlite be enough or do I need to use the midilite?

Interested to hear the experiences of other people with heavy/fast 7s.

froggy

posted on 24/2/13 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
I use rx7 fc3 front calipers on my car , they aren't much heavier than the wilwoods I ran before but have a much larger pad and bigger pistons , ebc do all the usual compounds and they stop my car better than the wilwoods did .

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

Dooey99

posted on 24/2/13 at 05:43 PM Reply With Quote
perhaps buy a set of second hand MG TF calipers they are four pot and made by AP RACING that is what i shall be using

Less weight more speed, more power more speed

If in doubt, give it a clout

clanger

posted on 24/2/13 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dooey99
perhaps buy a set of second hand MG TF calipers they are four pot and made by AP RACING that is what i shall be using

was looking at them myself on da bay last night. you pick some up for £100/pair.............

any issues with fitment under smaller wheels?? anyone fitted them to Sierra font knuckles?? undecide on hoop size yet..............

rdodger

posted on 24/2/13 at 08:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dooey99

I had them on my GTM Libra. They are VERY heavy. Heavier than standard calipers.

rodgling

posted on 24/2/13 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks but I'm mainly interested in opinions on the two Wilwood options.
MarcV

posted on 25/2/13 at 08:57 PM Reply With Quote
To add on this, the RX7 caliper is very wide on the outside (well both sides, but the inside doesn't matter here). This would require an extreme offset for the brake disc and even then it would hardly fit standard wheels. Nice calipers though.

So also very interested in experience / opinions on powerlite vs dynapro(midilite). Obviously the powerlites are cheaper and lighter, but what about stiffnes/flex, pad wear (volume) etc?

Powerlites too small? Midilites over the top?

coyoteboy

posted on 26/2/13 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
I had them on my GTM Libra. They are VERY heavy. Heavier than standard calipers.

Thought the TF ones were alloy. You learn something new every day! (crosses them off his list...)

rdodger

posted on 26/2/13 at 01:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coyoteboy
quote:

Thought the TF ones were alloy. You learn something new every day! (crosses them off his list...)

Yes I think they are alloy. There is an awful lot of it though

The lug mount but they are rather thick plates rather than lugs. They are also made to work with 304mm vented discs. Don't know if that makes a difference?

Even on a Libra that weighed 780+ kg the only place they got warm enough was on track or flying down the Col de Turini!

jeffw

posted on 26/2/13 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
Trying to decide on a decent/light 4-pot caliper for the fronts... Wilwood seem best value for money, but their product range is a bit confusing. I get the impression that in the UK it's a choice between Powerlite or Midilite (I think the Midilite is essentially a variant of the US Dynapro, not sure though?).

So, for a 700 kg 7 with 320 bhp, doing trackdays, will the powerlite be enough or do I need to use the midilite?

Interested to hear the experiences of other people with heavy/fast 7s.

I have a Phoenix which weighs 620Kg and makes 340BHP and I could overheat the powerlite/sold disc combo pretty easily. I now run Midlite and vented disks. The reason I think is down to the enclosed body as much as anything else.

rodgling

posted on 26/2/13 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
OK, thanks.

On my car it would be 20% more weight on an open wheeled car (more airflow for cooling), plus I was planning to use vented discs with the powerlites... so cooling would be a lot better.

Would it be better enough is the question though...

rodgling

posted on 26/2/13 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
This looks worth a read:

http://researchbank.rmit.edu.au/eserv/rmit:6207/Stephens.pdfhttp://resear chbank.rmit.edu.au/eserv/rmit:6207/Stephens.pdf

Probably best to treat the numbers as approximate, but still useful.

"vented discs offered a 40+% improvement in cooling over an equivalent sized solid rotors. The greatest benefit over solid will be where air entering the wheel cavity is limited"

So I guess going from closed-wheel/solid to open-wheel/vented I could expect in the region of 40% more cooling, which is loads.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.