Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 25/2/13 at 10:02 PM Reply With Quote
OT : How to find tv points in pre wired house

Here's a problem for the collective.

A friend of mine has moved into a new house and there are TV points in every room. There's a loom in the attic which is not labelled up at all. One bit of the loom is plugged into one booster, while the rest of the loom is plugged into another booster. There are 2 aerials in the loft.

The goal here is to pipe their sky to the kids playroom upstairs over the existing coax (they have not got HD) from the lounge downstairs, so we need to identify which cable in the attic is which room.

The question is; Whats the best locost way to do this?
Neither of us have a cable identifier (the thing that sends a pulse along the coax) but I do have a multi meter.

I did think about creating an aerial connector we can plug into each socket with a short on it (core connected to shield) and using the multi meter to look for the short - I'm reluctant to do this in case we blow up either booster?

I know how to wire it all up, I just need to identify what coax goes to what room.

Any ideas?

puma931

posted on 25/2/13 at 10:11 PM Reply With Quote
Disconnect all devises from the coax plugs. The someone in the bedroom checks for resistance and someone in the loft bridges the centre and outside of each unplugged lead. When you get zero resistance you have found the cable for the room.
Ian D

posted on 25/2/13 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
Before you go too far check that the coax for TV and sky have the same characteristics. Ie impedance etc.

Ian

daniel mason

posted on 25/2/13 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
JUST CONNECT ONE WIRE UP AT A TIME IN LOFT AND GO ROUND EACH ROOM WITH A TV UNTIL YOU GET SIGNAL.
PROCESS OF ELIMINATION.LABELLING AS YOU GO. NO POINT REMOVING THE CO AX PLUGS AND SHORTING CONUCTOR TO BRAIDING AS YOULL ONLY HAVE TO PUT THEM BACK ON AGAIN

spiderman

posted on 25/2/13 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Put a tv into the room you want to identify, switch it on, unplug the coaxial cables in the attic one at a time until you lose the picture, you have then identified the coax for that room. The bridging of the coax, inner and outer, and testing with a multimeter works but the former method only requires one person as you will hear the tv channel in the loft if you turn the volume up and will be able to tell when you loose the signal.

Spider

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 26/2/13 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
So we tried doing this with a television, but the signal seems to be strong in our area so you don't actually need an aerial to get a picture - just the length of coax in the attic is good enough to see a picture.
We unplugged everything and three of the televisions were still working fine - only one of them went off which is why I wanted a different way to trace the cable.

Macbeast

posted on 26/2/13 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
You won't blow up a booster by putting a short on an output.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Peteff

posted on 26/2/13 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barkalarr
So we tried doing this with a television, but the signal seems to be strong in our area so you don't actually need an aerial to get a picture - just the length of coax in the attic is good enough to see a picture.

What even on a digital signal, is the loom in the loft definitely not part of a system plugged in somewhere else ?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 26/2/13 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
No as far as we could tell.

I unplugged the aerial from the wall socket - so there was only a 4 ft fly lead and there was still a picture on the screen. It only went off completely when you remove all fly leads so the television has nothing plugged into it.

I know... bonkers eh?

[Edited on 26/2/13 by Barkalarr]

daniel mason

posted on 26/2/13 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
connect the sky box up downstairs. connect the existing wire in lounge (which you want to run sky up to loft with) to RF1 terminal on back of sky box.
identify yhis wire in loft.
then put a coax plug on it and join it one at a time to each of the others in the loft and you will have a sky picture.

sky12042

posted on 26/2/13 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
Connect cable at sky box to rf2. Turn on power in hidden menu. Services. 0. 0 1 select. 4.
Rf power supply on. Green button. Then go into loft and using a multimeter check for 9v at end. This will be your up feed.
Connect this to each cable and tune tv into ch68 on analogue. When you get a picture. Bobs your uncle.

Andy

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!

posted on 26/2/13 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sky12042
Connect cable at sky box to rf2. Turn on power in hidden menu. Services. 0. 0 1 select. 4.
Rf power supply on. Green button. Then go into loft and using a multimeter check for 9v at end. This will be your up feed.
Connect this to each cable and tune tv into ch68 on analogue. When you get a picture. Bobs your uncle.

Andy

Ahaa - 9v is the key
Thank you my friend - clearly you are / were a sky engineer in a previous life. Nice tip

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.