Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Boiler Replacement
stevebubs

posted on 28/2/13 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
Boiler Replacement

Right. finally got to bite the bullet. After nursing my 1985 boiler along for the last few years, it's finally reached the point where it needs to be replaced...and pronto...

...unless anyone knows where I can get a BNIB Heat Exchanger for a Thorn/Apollo 15/30c.

I'm also looking to put an extension in sometime in the next 1-2 years so am looking to upside the boiler and relocate it to the loft.

Anyone any idea what the ballpark is that I would be looking for if I were to go with something like a Worcester Bosch Greenstar 38CDI? supply and fitting...

GaryM

posted on 28/2/13 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
Talk to Mark at Bracknell Plumbing.
adam1985

posted on 28/2/13 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
You do know all the worcester combi range and most boiler manufacturers ch input are all set to 30kw ( plenty unless you have a huge house) the only advantage about having the bigger boiler is more hot water (about 2 litre/min). So in my opinion isnt worth going over 30kw also you have to remember if you have the bigger boiler and a cooker+ fire you will go over the max load your gas meter will take
mark chandler

posted on 28/2/13 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Modern boilers heat exchangers block easily, you will need to power cleanse the system at a minimum better to change all the rads.

Purchase here as a kit of parts, I have never found anywhere cheaper.

http://www.mrcentralheating.co.uk/

Regards Mark

mcerd1

posted on 28/2/13 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
don't know about one that big but I just had a Greenstar 29CDi Classic fitted along with 4 new radiators and a couple of other little jobs (removing a gas fire and bypassing a the cold water tank) about 3 full days work in total - it came to £2450 (inc VAT)

-

snapper

posted on 1/3/13 at 08:06 AM Reply With Quote
Loft location will probably need a walkway if you ever need it fixing
I had a similar idea but was put off by the regs

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

jamiepearson69

posted on 1/3/13 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Boiler

Also look at the Green Deal which came into force in Jan this year.

You may be able to install your new boiler without the upfront cost.

Just a thought...

Not Anumber

posted on 1/3/13 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Seperate the parts and labour.

Google and also ring round some proper plumbing shops to get the best price you can for the boiler you want, supply only. Make sure this includes the right flue you will need as these are often priced seperately.

Look through your local paper for ads for boiler changing, the fitters placing these ads are aiming for the commercial letting market where the labour rates tend to be more price sensitive. Ring a couple up tell them what boiler youve got and ask them what their daily rate is.

Buy in a couple of lengths of pipe 22mm and 15mm and a handful of elbows and straight connectors (but not push fit plastic) in both sizes. get some biscuits in. Pay in cash.

stevebubs

posted on 1/3/13 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, Folks,

British Gas came out today (the only ones who could be bothered).

Their price came in a few hundred more than I wanted to pay but they can install Tuesday. Given I have a smallish child, I just gave them the go-ahead. Not really got the luxury to mess about

Interestingly enough, I'm also about to fit a water softener; salesman then pointed out that W-B say "no way" as they have aluminium heat exchangers as opposed to Vallent who use Stainless Steel.

2 mins with google confirmed and the deal was struck.

stevebubs

posted on 1/3/13 at 11:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GaryM
Talk to Mark at Bracknell Plumbing.

Duly noted for some other workIng need doing later in the year...

Not Anumber

posted on 2/3/13 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
It must be great to be in a position to just get British Gas in. Personally i'd rather make the effort to save £ 500 and then be able to afford to give some of the saving to charity.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.