Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Changing a lineline phone number?
Westy1994

posted on 6/3/13 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Changing a lineline phone number?

Due to the many. many scam and telemarketer calls I get throughout a week, I contacted my line supplier and although they normally charge for a number change, they have offered to change it for free in my case. The numbers that they would change me to have already been used at some point in the past and therefore may well be sitting on some telemarketers database?. , so I am wondering wether or not to change it now, as I dont want to jump from the frying pan into the fire.

Anybody done this and was it any better?

Cheers.

sheepish0001

posted on 6/3/13 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
I recently did this with virgin and I went from lots of calls to only a few, apparently they sit in quarentine for 6months so that some people take a hint but not all ofthem do. I just keep telling the callers that who ever they are after dont live here any more and 'touch wood' they seem to be slowing down, but its a chance you take I guess

Good luck either way

Sheep

wilkingj

posted on 6/3/13 at 06:12 PM Reply With Quote
Contact the telephone preference service, and get your number o there.
THEN... when telemarketers phone, tell them to not trouble you again, or you will report them to Ofcom.

Changing your number is good, but as said, could be on the marketers database anyway. But even still register the new number with TPS.

Also set your phone line NOT to accept any calls that do not provide their calling line ID.
Just my 2d's worth.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Westy1994

posted on 6/3/13 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
I am already signed up with TPS, to be honest it really dos not make much (if any ) difference, firstly the TPS is only appicable to calls made within the UK and secondly not many companies have the latest numbers on thier lists, one call I received before Xmas came from someone down south and I said I was on the TPS list, he said I was not on his list though !!!, I registered with TPS 5 years ago !!. Also if it is a UK company they often put the phone down on you as soon as you mention TPS.... not much help as they already had disturbed me by this point.

The call ID feature that many phone companies offer now ( which are chargeable) are also next to useless, because the latest in the phone scam world is to spoof a disused UK telephone number whilst dialling from the UK or abroad. This gets around the calling ID blocking and allows you to take the call.

Other than unplugging the phone ( which I now do a lot) there is not a lot you can do to stop these calls, which is why I wanted a new number, but I appreciate there is risk that the number may be on lists already.

I report when its possible, all calls to the either the ICO or ofcom ( depending on the type of call) and am a member of the whocallsme.com website which is of great help in identifying callers.

I have to admit at winding a number of the callers up when I get the time/ chance to, great fun when they find out that you have been wasting their time as well !!!.

splitrivet

posted on 6/3/13 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
One of the joys of VOIP you can be anywhere and be throwing out a CLI number from down the road. Im working on a clients system at the moment that gives out a Bradford number, he's in Egypt.
Changing your number could take you out of the frying pan and into the fire if its been previously allocated it couldve been the 24/7 takeaway pizza joint, doubt whether it was but you never know.
If its a big problem get one of those doohickeys you fit to the line that if it doesnt recognize the number your phone doesnt ring.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 6/3/13 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

macc man

posted on 6/3/13 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
I have caller id and do not answer any call displaying withheld or international. If not sure I let it go to answerphone and see if they leave a message. Most cold callers will not. Its a pain but I have reduced the amount of time wasted on these scammers.
Westy1994

posted on 6/3/13 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by splitrivet
One of the joys of VOIP you can be anywhere and be throwing out a CLI number from down the road. Im working on a clients system at the moment that gives out a Bradford number, he's in Egypt.
Changing your number could take you out of the frying pan and into the fire if its been previously allocated it couldve been the 24/7 takeaway pizza joint, doubt whether it was but you never know.
If its a big problem get one of those doohickeys you fit to the line that if it doesnt recognize the number your phone doesnt ring.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 6/3/13 by splitrivet]

VOIP, is that how they are doing it then, i see......... a lot of the numbers are 0161 or a slightly odd looking 0044, I have more of these numbers in my phones memory listed as 'Do Not Answer' than genuine numbers. The number recognition thing sounds feasible, yes I see the potential to get some old taxi or fast food joint's old number, which is why I just mailed the phone company back to see if they will allow me to ' trial' the new number first ?, I already know the average amount of calls I get in a given month, so by testing a new number I can see which way to go - not sure if they will do this yet?.

[Edited on 6/3/13 by Westy1994]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.