Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: bl##dy wiring
badassboy64

posted on 7/3/13 at 10:12 PM Reply With Quote
bl##dy wiring

Hi everyone here goes with my first post . I've been building a seven over the last 10 months and have enjoyed the experience greatly on the whole but the wiring is without a doubt the work of the devil !I bought a vicky green loom on ebay and set about installing it everything has gone ok except the indicators I have checked and rechecked my connections all is as shown in the diagram my problem is the hazards work but don't flash and the turn individual indicators dont work at all . I'm using led's all round and a led relay(all new) I'm wondering if because they are all led's there isn't enough voltage to make the can work . any ideas on this would be greatly appreciated as i would like to`go for iva around easter. ps the column switches were second hand but i have checked them with my ohm meter and think that all is ok .
big_wasa

posted on 7/3/13 at 10:20 PM Reply With Quote
Give me the wiring over the iva/dvla paper work anyday.
bi22le

posted on 7/3/13 at 10:21 PM Reply With Quote
what do you mean by the hazards work but dont flash, they stay on?

what voltage have you got?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

badassboy64

posted on 7/3/13 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
yes they all just stay on i will need to check voltage tomorrow
adithorp

posted on 7/3/13 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
A standard indicator relay won't work with LEDs as there isn't enough load. It's the same reason the rest stop flashing when a bulb fails. You need an electronic unit. CBS and SVC sell them.

ps. welcome.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Westy1994

posted on 7/3/13 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
My LED indicators/Hazards work from a small timer kit from maplins, cost about a fiver from memory, PCB is 12dc and runs all 4 corners just fine. I added a 'louder' relay to the output as the onboard electronics are silent of course !!
badassboy64

posted on 7/3/13 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
The relay is an electronic led one from bolt on bits in bradford and brand new three pin type 49/49a/15 i think from memory with 49 power in(blue/green) 49a(pale green/red) load and earth on 15(black)
Macbeast

posted on 7/3/13 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Adi -He just said he has a LED flasher unit so that shouldn't be the problem.
A few years ago there used to be frequent posts about errors in the Vicki Green loom.
Also something to check - there are two types of Sierra column switches. One works by putting an earth on the flashers, the other by connecting the flashers to + 12V. Don't know which type works with Viki Green but someone on here will probably know.
Good luck anyway.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

adithorp

posted on 7/3/13 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Macbeast
Adi -He just said he has a LED flasher unit so that shouldn't be the problem.

Doh, missed that.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Dusty

posted on 8/3/13 at 12:15 AM Reply With Quote
Doesn't sierra usually use a 49A, 49, 31 relay, (in, out, earth) not 49a, 49, 15 relay, (in, out, live). I imagine that's what the VG loom is expecting.

Sorry MacB the changes after BG87 part number switches were mostly to main and dip wiring and washers not indicators.

[Edited on 8/3/13 by Dusty]

Macbeast

posted on 8/3/13 at 07:10 AM Reply With Quote
Oh OK. I stand corrected

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

Slimy38

posted on 8/3/13 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
I realise this might be a bit of extra expense, but I'd be tempted to switch back to filament bulbs and a standard relay, just to get things working. LED lights can be troublesome for those with working wiring, trying to get them sorted from the start just sounds like a headache on a headache.

For the sake of four bulbs and a relay (£10 max in total?) you can at least get the wiring sorted, then switch back to LED's once you're happy.

johnemms

posted on 8/3/13 at 10:33 AM Reply With Quote
I think the build it - drive it - attiude is the way forward..

Keep it easy & standard then - iva ..

Plenty of winter months to add cool stuff that takes a week or more in the garage
just to find out it was a stupid bad earth on your new bit of flashy kit that drove you mental..

Own chassis & Build - First time pass!!
"7's" aren't really "cars", they are 'experiences"

stevegough

posted on 8/3/13 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
Wiring - using conventional bulbs - is basically electrics. When you start using LEDs you are crossing the fine line into electronics - unless you really know what you are doing, keep it simple, and use conventional (filament) units.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

L5W

posted on 8/3/13 at 06:45 PM Reply With Quote
I've no experience with the vicky green loom but are you wiring it in to the standard hazard switch on top of a sierra column? If so does it make any difference if the telltale bulb is removed from inside the switch? I had similar issues with my led indicators (i'm using an LED electronic flasher relay too with a premier wiring loom) and eventually narrowed it down to the telltale bulb being a standard bulb. I came up with a workaround solution, maybe not the best solution, but it worked for me!

http://l5w-mk-indy-zetec.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/hazard-telltale-light.html

Although not directly related, my sierra indicator stalk was pretty gunky inside and was causing the flasher relay to click without the bulbs actually flashing. Taking the stalk assembly apart and giving the contacts a good clean stopped this.

Lee

http://l5w-mk-indy-zetec.blogspot.com/

kickinthenuts

posted on 8/3/13 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
Where in the world are you? I built my own loom so would be able to help you if you are local..ish?
badassboy64

posted on 8/3/13 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
firstly thanks lee this looks like something i'd overlooked and seems a simply enough job too i will try this over the next week for starters and i'm in halifax kickinthenuts so probably a long way to come for something i've probably just overlooked but thanks to everyone for your views/ advice and time i appreciate the help

[Edited on 8/3/13 by badassboy64]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.