Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Set of X Flow Pistons (+20 thou)
Nickctp

posted on 20/3/13 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
Set of X Flow Pistons (+20 thou)

Hi all,

My block has gone in for a rebore (from standard) so +20 thou. I need a set of pistons! Does any one have a set at this size second hand or new - all considered.

Cheers

Nick

Westy1994

posted on 20/3/13 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but is not not usual for the machine shop to want the pistons and ring set onsite during the rebore, to check ring gaps ?, its been a while since I had an engine done, but could do with a refresh myself this winter.
Nickctp

posted on 20/3/13 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Westy1994
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but is not not usual for the machine shop to want the pistons and ring set onsite during the rebore, to check ring gaps ?, its been a while since I had an engine done, but could do with a refresh myself this winter.

Yep he does want the pistons - Thats why I need a set first. I have left the block with him.

Westy1994

posted on 20/3/13 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
Ah ok sorry, I read that as you are getting it rebored then bringing the block home , then getting the pistons.... been a long day here.....

ETA

The last engine I had done the machine shop got them in, will yours not do that or are they too dear?

[Edited on 20/3/13 by Westy1994]

Nickctp

posted on 20/3/13 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Ah ok sorry, I read that as you are getting it rebored then bringing the block home , then getting the pistons.... been a long day here.....

ETA

The last engine I had done the machine shop got them in, will yours not do that or are they too dear?

He can get them in for me but are 200 a set of 4 - as are Burtons

I have already blown my budget on this car and it's costing me a fortune! Any saving is a bonus.

phil m

posted on 20/3/13 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Nick
Unless you're using a crossflow for competition purposes, have you thought of changing to a Zetec? Loads more power and pretty cheap.
I know that crossflow parts have gone up since I rebuilt mine, but looks like its becoming a real decision whether or not to change tack
Phil

Nickctp

posted on 27/3/13 at 08:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by phil m
Hi Nick
Unless you're using a crossflow for competition purposes, have you thought of changing to a Zetec? Loads more power and pretty cheap.
I know that crossflow parts have gone up since I rebuilt mine, but looks like its becoming a real decision whether or not to change tack
Phil

Phil,

I have seriously thought about changing engines - the issue is that I have spent a fortune on the car now and it's not really financially a good idea to start all over again. Having said this the X flow is now becoming quite rare in good order so my fully rebuilt engine will hopefully add a little value to the car, especially as it is being done properly, It will be virtually a new engine when complete. I do wish I had gone down the Ztec route this time - but we all learn from our mistakes - just unfortunately they are expensive ones sometimes!

N

Nickctp

posted on 27/3/13 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

ETA

They purchase their parts from Burtons - they offer no discount even to builders
!!

Found a good seller though

procomp

posted on 27/3/13 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
Hi.

No one is going to have +20 pistons as regular stock, I buy from the people who supply most of the others and they do not carry them as regular stock.
However why not just go straight for either +60 or more common +90. Burtons had the odd ball +90's that where not legal for the Locost championship and where selling them at cost just to get rid of them. !

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nickctp

posted on 27/3/13 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
Hi.

No one is going to have +20 pistons as regular stock, I buy from the people who supply most of the others and they do not carry them as regular stock.
However why not just go straight for either +60 or more common +90. Burtons had the odd ball +90's that where not legal for the Locost championship and where selling them at cost just to get rid of them. !

Cheers Matt

I found an engineering company based in London who stock the +20s and I have to say the pricing is very good.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.