Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: zetec gearbox
wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 30/9/04 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
zetec gearbox

hi all. im new to all this so please take it easy ive managed to get my hands on a brand new zetec from work, with just a mild covering of dust cause its been sitting around for a while. coincidentaly im also building a locist and was about to rebuild a very tatty xflow, but cant help feel 'tec better option. to cut to the chase, what gearbox to use to get rear wheel drive?? heard mt75 works but also heard its a diesel van box? help.

on another tip, whats the emmissions regs for my engine. think its 94 vintage but may be way off.

thanks peeps

andyharding

posted on 30/9/04 at 03:56 PM Reply With Quote
You'll want to go with a Type 9 Sierra box cause it's easy to mate up and smaller than the MT75. Get one free with an old Sierra.

The year of manufacture is cast on the exhaust side of the Zetec block.

[Edited on 30/9/04 by andyharding]

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 30/9/04 at 04:08 PM Reply With Quote
cool, thanks. is the box that came with the xflow also a type 9 (though 4 speed??) dont relly want to use it as its knackered but may be useful for checking mating and such and such.
andyharding

posted on 30/9/04 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think so.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

zilspeed

posted on 30/9/04 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Go to www.burtonpower.com and click the tech support tab. This will tel you all you need to kno about ford RWD gearboxes.

thebutler

posted on 30/9/04 at 05:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have a cleaned up Type 9 with ala the relevant Clutch componets you need to mate with a Zetec for sale for £100. The clutch componets are all brand new and cost me nearly that alone.

U2U me if your interested, you'll have to collect it though!

Steve

shaywez

posted on 30/9/04 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
mt75

Hi there, i have mated my 2.0ltr Zetec with a MT75 no problems, use the release arm from the origional sierra and a modified release bearing from Westfield, also use the sandwich plate from the donor sierra as this blanks off where the g/box overlaps the engine. Most ford g/boxes will mate with any ford engine due to standard bolt fixing pattern.
zetec

posted on 30/9/04 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Yep MT75 is a newer and stronger box (used with a transfer box in Cossie). Other good bit is you can easily move the gear lever location to where you want it once to engine and gearbox is located. Same price as a type 9 secondhand, found in later Sierra and Granada. Mines done 150K+ miles and still perfect.
wheelsinsteadofhooves

posted on 1/10/04 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
hi all, thanks for info, clouds of confusion starting to lift.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.