Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What's happened to Bosch quality?
James

posted on 25/3/13 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
What's happened to Bosch quality?

I always try and buy reasonable quality tools. I've always felt Bosch fulfilled the criteria mid-high range.

However recently I've had the following fail:

Bosch 600W Angle grinder. Pretty heavy 'car build' use. Switch and brushes ok... one of the tiny wires inside has snapped. Will be very difficult to fix so I suppose it's scrap.

Bosch 750W jigsaw. 4 years old or so but literally barely used it. Certainly no more than 10 times. I can't identify the source of the problem. If I bang it it'll start again for a couple of seconds then die- neither my electronics engineer father or I can find a loose wire/dry joint.

Bosch 1300W circular saw. Again, hardly used. Came to use it last night and found a mechanical problem with the ribing(sp?) knife adjuster has failed, lever bent and rivet dropped out.

I bought more powerful tools than I needed thinking with my light use they'd last... it seems not.

Moral of story being buy Makita in future? My 18v drill is used several times a week for 5 years and appears to still be going strong!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

pewe

posted on 25/3/13 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
James, interestingly enough I'm progressively switching my electric tools to Makita and some of those have already had pretty hard use without failing.
I suspect the problem with Bosch is that they've switched manufacture from Switzerland/ USA to cheaper sources and/or engineered down to a price in the face of fierce competition from cheaper brands.
Pity as I used to buy Bosch exclusively.
Cheers, Pewe10

r1_pete

posted on 25/3/13 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Makita certainly have Bosch beaten by a country mile, I've been buying 110 volt kit, as it needs additional current to compensate for lower voltage, the internal wiring is heavier.

Sealey kit isn't bad either, but expensive.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 25/3/13 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
All the Bosch power tools I've have been crap. Hitachi are miles better.
theconrodkid

posted on 25/3/13 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
the "cheap and nasty" stuff at lidl usually has a 3 year warranty and the stuff i have had from them has been excelent....and cheap

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

Staple balls

posted on 25/3/13 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I've heard that a lot of consumer level kit only has like 5-6 hours life in it, if that.

Idea being that if you use a drill to stick a few shelves up twice a year it'll last you ages, but obviously, if you're like us lot, they'll die after a week.

Had a lot of good results with makita toys though.

Saying that, I've always found B&Q's return policy fairly forgiving, have on occasion bought one of their cheapy tools, burned it out the same day and got a refund, because it's not fit for purpose.

rdodger

posted on 25/3/13 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
+1 for B&Q. Buying from them is like a lifetime guarantee!
Peteff

posted on 25/3/13 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I've killed a few angle grinders so I bought Metabo this time and they are expensive but tough. I have a Bosch SDS+ drill that has lasted years but it is big so for the shed I bought an Aldi 850 watt corded drill for tuppence three farthing (well it was under £10) and it does anything I need with plenty of power spare. Saws I have, circular and jig, are both Black and Wrecker and are years old. The jig saw is antique and I've never seen another like it with pendulum and speed adjustment so slow you can count the strokes.

P.S. it's a riving knife

[Edited on 25/3/13 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

macc man

posted on 25/3/13 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
I use battery drills day in day out and even the likes of Hitachi and Dewalt will fail within a year. I have a loft full of faulty drills and spare batteries. Aldi tools fare better than some top brands and are cheap enought to be throw away. Sadly quality is a rare thing today.
NigeEss

posted on 25/3/13 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
Can't comment on the change of quality as I haven't bought Bosch recently. This due to the fact my 20 year
old Bosch grinder is still going despite very, very heavy use and the similarly aged cordless drill is also still
going although one battery is now poor.

Bought a Makita cordless drill five years ago, motor replaced under warranty, chuck exploded at 18mths and one
battery died after three years. Vowed never to buy Makita again.

DeWalt is overpriced Black & Decker.

TBH, I don't know what make I'd go for in future.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

blockhead_rich

posted on 25/3/13 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Guys
I work for the Lawn and Garden division of Bosch powertools in the product development dept. And all I can say is that our quality targets within product development has not changed in all the years that I've worked for them. We certainly do loads and loads of testing before a product is launched. Sure materials have changed and products are designed with a price point in mind (to match the competition) and yes, some products are now manufactured in low cost countries (but hey, even the UK is also classed as a LLC!).

So I would recommend that you contact the service / consumer care dept and see if they can help you out as we do not want dissatisfied customers.

Rich

Confused but excited.

posted on 25/3/13 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I would remind everyone that THE LAW states that electrical goods in the UK are covered by The Sale of Goods Act and that you can claim for up to six years after the purchase date. This applies to power tools as well as TVs.
So if Bosch or anyone else, give you the run around, get in touch with your friendly neighbouhood Trading Standards Officer and stick it to 'em.

Remember kiddies, don't get mad . . . get even.

[Edited on 25/3/13 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Minicooper

posted on 25/3/13 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu

All the Bosch tools I've have been brilliant, don't know other makes as they are still working perfectly

v8kid

posted on 25/3/13 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Minicooper
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu

All the Bosch tools I've have been brilliant, don't know other makes as they are still working perfectly

Read Makita and me too!
Individual cases are down to Donald Duck this is where Which mag could be usefull - anyone daft enough to part with the dosh and buy it?

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coyoteboy

posted on 25/3/13 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
Had a few issues with Bosch stuff too recently. First was the jigsaw, but to be fair it was a mech failure and I had clipped the ground with it by accident. New part is £6.

My big gripe though is my drill. Hand locking chuck on a hammer drill some times it locks on, but most of the time 5 seconds hammer action undoes the chuck widening the hole and bending the bit. Bloody infuriating.

aardvark101

posted on 13/4/13 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Im going to put a vote in for Wickes own brand, i have a mains hammer drill that i use with a paddle for mixing floor screed, and have been abusing it for around 4 years now, it has not missed a beat............................oh and it cost £40
pmc_3

posted on 13/4/13 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Depends which of the Bosch ones you buy, the green ones aren't great but the blue professional ones are much better. We use a lot of Ryobi kit at work, that seems very good value and takes a hammering

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.