Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: "How to" OEM zetec ecu with Pats info.
spegru

posted on 31/7/17 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Focus Speedo etc

A bit of an update on my speedo problems from over a year ago.
I have been driving the car (EagleRV with Blacktop Focus Zetec 60pin EEC-V and Type 9 box - using an original Focus Dash pod) all this time without speedo because it massively under-reads by about 70%.
It was established that the Mk1 Focus Dash pod takes all its data via OBD and that there is no separate VSS or tacho available to feed to it
The need for a speedo healer was diagnosed but I railed at the cost of one that looked likely to increase the reading by more than 100% (lots of poor descriptions for the bike ones on ebay)

Anyway a massive step forward was made last night using
a) A Rev counter circuit attached to the Speedo sensor/VSS - giving a voltage output related to speed
b) An Arduino (cheapo microcontroller from ebay) set up to be a Voltage Controlled Osclillator (VCO) providing pulses related to voltage and connected to the speedo sensor input to the ECU

Connect one to the other and hey presto a variable pulse rate related to road speed - sending to the ECU and hence the Focus Speedo

All a bit rough and ready but it basically works. I shall now have to productionise it and calibrate it properly

[Edited on 31/7/17 by spegru]

spegru

posted on 20/8/17 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
Now wired up properly, boxed and calibrated.
A bit odd when first started up and at very low speeds, but after that it's fine.
It will DO!

big_wasa

posted on 20/8/17 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Bit odd at low speeds in what way ?
spegru

posted on 21/8/17 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
Can be a large overread and even read 20 when stationary. Seems to be on first startup though as it seems pretty good after that. Probably too sensitive to low voltages. I might have a go at fixing it but it will certainly do for now

[Edited on 21/8/17 by spegru]

[Edited on 21/8/17 by spegru]

spegru

posted on 14/11/17 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
Thankyou, turbo Zetec and 3.0 v6 st220 coming soon.

Hi big_wasa. Any progress on the v6 info?

big_wasa

posted on 14/11/17 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
Nah not yet. Will be after the clocks change now.

I've had a quid look to make sure it can be done, no problem there. I've bought a really nice ttv billet flywheel and helix clutch for it.

I've been cleaning out the garage all week and making space for something new.

I am well out of space so one of the zetec turbo's has to go. So will offer that on passion ford tonight if I get time.

spegru

posted on 14/11/17 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
umm the clock have already changed!
big_wasa

posted on 14/11/17 at 01:48 PM Reply With Quote
I mean the nights pulling out. There isn't enough day light hours in the day as I am working all of them and some either side.
spegru

posted on 22/11/17 at 03:49 PM Reply With Quote
Having had success with two OEM EFI Zetec installs, I'm getting reasonably confident with this stuff. My later one used the entire engine wiring harness/loom (extended in places to suit the RWD layout) rather than hacking it all about into a new one as I did the first time

What I'm hoping is that an Duratec V6 of the same era will be similar to the Zetec - keep the key and detector ring etc as well as the harness and ECU

What's the new project? Well I've just bought a '79 vintage Reliant Scimitar, complete with the rather vintage Essex V6 and I want to make it into a realistic reliable daily driver like my Eagle RV jeep replica. I shall try it in standard form first of course but after that.....

The recipe is looking like Mondeo v6 (the Ford Engine not the Mazda one) connected to a Jag S type manual gearbox (it's said they mate up ok)

big_wasa

posted on 22/11/17 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
New project is another 7. I just feel I have unfinished business.

Yes the Mondeo v6 will be no problem. I understand that the jag box fits fine but you need the flywheel to go with it and the ratios are poor. I would think they will be fine in a scimitar though.

I can’t make my mind up. Turbo Zetec, 3.0 Duratec or somthing new ?

If I could get one of the rx8 adapter guys to do a plate that would swing it for me.

Edit...

Some reading shows that Morgan use the jag box in a mk1 Roadster but moved to the MT82 for the mk2 & 3.
This can be found in the transit with a 2.4 diesel.

I just need to find out what flywheel is used.

[Edited on 22/11/17 by big_wasa]

spegru

posted on 23/11/17 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
It's very tempting to go duratec v6 as the parts seem pretty cheap on ebay. Im also wondering how much an Essex with 4sp+overdrive would be worth to sell on to the capri guys or whatever
However the car doesn't even come till Monday so I'm a bit ahead of myself!

big_wasa

posted on 23/11/17 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah I know that feeling. I only got mine a week ago but the ideas are flooding in.
Pigsy

posted on 23/11/18 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
Extremely fast idle

Hi. Is there any one thing that would cause an st170 engine to run at about 6000rpm instead of idle?
Pigsy

posted on 24/11/18 at 08:36 AM Reply With Quote
Extremely fast idle

Sorry, I should add that the throttle flap is closed and idle runner control is closed. I have checked for obvious air leaks.An air leak would have to be huge for the rpm?
big_wasa

posted on 24/11/18 at 09:51 AM Reply With Quote
It's got to be air as you say it needs plenty to be doing 6000rpm.

Brake servo port is the one most people miss. What about the pcv valve in the crank vent system. Canister purge port.

Idle control valves also seize and some times cleaning just isn't enough to get them going again.

The photo set up isn't working on here but if you want to send me some i will have a look over them.

Cheers

FamilyGuy

posted on 24/11/18 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have blocked the 3 pipes circled below and my idle seems ok in the brief time I have ran my engine.

Whether or not these are the correct pipes to blank off I will leave for big Wasa to confirm.

Pigsy

posted on 24/11/18 at 10:50 PM Reply With Quote
Hi. Thanks. I have done just as family guy has on the image above.
Pigsy

posted on 26/11/18 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
dreamscience stratagem

Has anyone used the dreamscience stratagem?
big_wasa

posted on 26/11/18 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Does that mean you now have it running properly ?

My opinion is its a waste of time and money on a naturally aspirated car.
The bluefin will get you 3~4 bhp.
For twice the cost you could be going stand alone managment with much more potential.

Forced induction is different. The same outlay will get much better returns for the cash. The same unit I my Rs ecu will get me around 30 hp. For stage 1

Pigsy

posted on 26/11/18 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
Im glad I asked.. Thanks.
Pigsy

posted on 26/11/18 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
I have discovered where the leak is. I will know Thursday when I can work on it.
pekwah1

posted on 2/1/19 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
Hi all,

I’ve got a 2.0 blacktop installed running on stock BASH ECU.
I’m considering replacing it for an st170, would the blacktop loom be the same so I can just swap the engine and ECU?

Thanks
Andy

big_wasa

posted on 2/1/19 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
No,

There are lots more sensors needed as well as the inlet manifold. If you where starting from scratch it’s not a bad start like you have done but it’s not the upgrade your looking for.

Stand alone and Itb’s will give you 25bhp or more head work and cams another 25 ish. The st engine will get most of that with out the cams and head work. But you have the hassle of the vvt.

The Focus Rs ecu wouldn’t be to much more work but it’s rare and bits add up. But it will give you more than you will ever need.

Mine should done by Easter

scottie

posted on 17/4/19 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
anyone using stock ECU etc managed to use a different alternator ?
big_wasa

posted on 17/4/19 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Yep I’ve fitted all sorts.

Current one is from a motorbike

<<  5    6    7    8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.