Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New Owner First MOT
Neadles

posted on 27/3/13 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
New Owner First MOT

I just want some advise, I have a Fury Blade '97 variant on an age related plate of '05. Now I cannot find any emissions info on the V5 and there are no emission print outs from previous MOTs. As this is my first BEC I am a little worried as the system only has the bike set up, ie manifold, short pipe and silencer. Now there is no CAT to be seen and non on the build diary.

So my question is, if the engine in Jetted and set up will it pass an emissions test without having to build a new exhaust system? Or has it been tested previously by 'helpful' people as I am the 3rd owner?

Cheers

Chris

rf900rush

posted on 28/3/13 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
I think you will find that an 1997 engine (bec or not) will need a CAT test, unless it was built and registered with a pre '95
engine.

I had this with my BEC.

The MOT information is very confusing with this type of car.

The best thing is to study the MOT documents on emissions.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
IanG1

posted on 28/3/13 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I have a similar dilemna but here is my take on to from the enquiries I have made?
In my case the car is factory built 2001 on a age related and supplied minus engine. It then had a pre 95 893cc blade engine fitted which I presumed it was SVA'ed with. No emissions data is on the V5 and car has no CAT fitted.
The car later had a post 95 919 blade engine fitted as a straight swap and all the MOT's I have show no emmissions print out for a test. I assume as the original engine didn't need a CAT to pass SVA then this is applied whatever happens after this point.
In your case I would have thought when the car was originally presented, proof of engine age was required and then tested accordingly so post 95 and CAT required.
Maybe a CAT was fitted to get it through (didn't some folks rent them out to help you get cars through) then subsequently removed.

mcerd1

posted on 28/3/13 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
as I understand it:

your chassis will have an 'effective date' for the emissions test - this is based on the age of the engine used at the SVA/IVA (if you can't prove the age of the engine at the time then the latest standard will apply)
this emissions standard should be on ethe V5c (although its often missing ) and stick with the chassis for life

come MOT time the handbook says that if you've fitted an older engine then you can use the engines date as the effective date instead (up to you to prove the engine age)

however if you have no proof of the SVA/IVA emissions and your engine is a post 95 date then I think you'll be stuck with a CAT test

[Edited on 28/3/2013 by mcerd1]

-

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.