Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: USB to serial adapter
dave_424

posted on 28/3/13 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
USB to serial adapter

Hi, has anyone got a USB to serial adapter that they know works with megasquirt that they will sell/lend me?

I'm pretty sure my £1 adapter isn't doing the job, however when I put the grounds and 12v power to a battery, I get just a short flash of the LED's, not sure if this is a problem.

Dave

lewis

posted on 28/3/13 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
I also need one so if someone can recommend one that def works.

I am a driving god!..........sort of

scudderfish

posted on 28/3/13 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Anything with the FTDI chipset should be good. Avoid anything that mentions Prolific.
r1_pete

posted on 28/3/13 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I had a prolific which worked fine on XP & W7 with mjlj & squirt but not on Vista.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
austin man

posted on 28/3/13 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
I found that you sometimes have to set the com port again when using one of these as most set a default as com pots one but when a usb adapter is fitted the adapter appears to show as another port not com port one. I bought one from maplins and had to reset the com post each time to be recognised within the tuning programme

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

wilkingj

posted on 28/3/13 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
My Prolific one worked on on XP.
However the FTDI chipset is the one to go for if you can get one.

Prolific chipset ones can be difficult.

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dave_424

posted on 28/3/13 at 10:55 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, my cheap cable is passing the loopback test when pins 2 and 3 are jumpered, also passes the loopback test when jumping pins 12 and 13 on the board and doing the loopback test.

But adding a capital S, it should show ECU information but nothing shows. Tried loading the extra code and it can't find a port number.

Dave

keybaud

posted on 28/3/13 at 11:58 PM Reply With Quote
This one is very good.
Startech Serial RS232 Adapter

And why do all the posts look centre justified to me?

[Edited on 29/3/13 by keybaud]

dave_424

posted on 29/3/13 at 01:04 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks very much, saw this before when I was looking and looked about the best price for the one with the better chip, orderd

I will let you all know how I fare.

Dave

JAG

posted on 3/4/13 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
What's wrong with this one for £14.50 from Trigger Wheels.com

I've got one and can confirm it has the FTDI chipset - although I've only just got it and can't confirm it works just yet.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

dave_424

posted on 3/4/13 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Didn't see that one there, the one I said I ordered came today, very nice with a long cable, installed the CD and got the COM port working.

I initially thought there was a connection problem because there was a firmware issue when I tried to use it in tunerstudio, wasn't sure if this was firmware on the ECU or firmware/drivers for the cable.

Turned out that there was no code loaded onto the ECU, loaded on the latest version of the extra code and works perfectly.

Stuck a 24-2 trigger wheel from a kawasaki z1000 on my zx9 crank, wired up the crank sensor and got cranking RPM straight away, should have both BIP373's soldered in by midday tomorrow and will go for a first start with the zx9 carbs and megasquirt running my wasted spark.

rx7locost

posted on 4/4/13 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
When you get tired of that cable getting in the way, you can go Bluetooth. I did this write up a couple years ago using a cheap 14 USD eBay adapter. You'll find it about 1/2 way down the page. I'd still want the cable for any firmware upgrades.

CLICK HERE

scudderfish

posted on 4/4/13 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Bluetooth is convenient, but for data logging it's no good compared to USB. I wrote MSLogger using BT, and I've recently added USB capability to MSDroid (both Android apps for talking to MS). With BT the read rate would bounce between 7 and 12 reads per second. USB gives a solid 19. The latency between sending a read command over BT and getting the data back from the ECU is all over the place. I'm keeping my BT adapter for testing purposes, but when my ECU goes back in the car, it's going to have a USB adapter plugged into it.

Regards,
Dave

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.