Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What would happen if the engine start button is pressed when the car is running???
Sloan85

posted on 1/4/13 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
What would happen if the engine start button is pressed when the car is running???

I have installed the buttons to my dash and put the engine start under the clocks in the centre with other buttons to the left and right.

I have just had a thought..... What would happen should the start button get pressed when I am driving along (accidentally pressed or pressed by passenger)?? If it will engage the starter then thats going to cause problems. Im thinking it might be best to install an additional switch to the right of the steering wheel that must be on for the start button to work.

Any thoughts?

Cheers!

loggyboy

posted on 1/4/13 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
It would make a crunching sound as the starter would try to engage, wouldnt hurt much once every so often, but I wouldnt make a hobby of it. I plan on wiring via a relay that would disconnect the starter circuit when the engine is running.

Mistral Motorsport

dave r

posted on 1/4/13 at 01:18 PM Reply With Quote
wire it via a relay off the oil pressure

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

Sloan85

posted on 1/4/13 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
I plan on wiring via a relay that would disconnect the starter circuit when the engine is running.

My bike loom has 3 relays on it already (modified by MK) for ignition, crank and clutch. Would this already have something that disconnects the starter circuit when its running? Im not sure how it worked when the bike was running, I never tried pressing the start button when it was already running.

zetec

posted on 1/4/13 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
I ran a relay off the ignition light feed, works a treat.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

cosmick

posted on 1/4/13 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
If you are running a GSX R engine, then no damage will occurr if you were to accidently press the start button. The Starter gear on the engine is a one way clutch. Assuming the engine is running at 1000 rpm or faster, then the crankshaft is turning faster than the starter one way clutch so the starter will not be able to drive the crank. The usual speed for cranking is around 400RPM, which is 600 RPM slower than the crank is turning even at tickover. Promise you no damage will occur.
Please bear in mind that this is a BEC and the starter motors work completely differently to a bendix type starter. The BEC type gears are permanently meshed.

[Edited on 1/4/13 by cosmick]

If it can't be fixed with a hammer then its probably an electrical problem.

Sloan85

posted on 1/4/13 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cosmick
If you are running a GSX R engine, then no damage will occurr if you were to accidently press the start button. The Starter gear on the engine is a one way clutch. Assuming the engine is running at 1000 rpm or faster, then the crankshaft is turning faster than the starter one way clutch so the starter will not be able to drive the crank. The usual speed for cranking is around 400RPM, which is 600 RPM slower than the crank is turning even at tickover. Promise you no damage will occur.
Please bear in mind that this is a BEC and the starter motors work completely differently to a bendix type starter. The BEC type gears are permanently meshed.

[Edited on 1/4/13 by cosmick]

Yup its a GSXR. Thanks for the info.

Ben_Copeland

posted on 1/4/13 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dave r
wire it via a relay off the oil pressure

Better to do it off the alternator light as oil pressure may not drop straight away, if you stall etc

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

austin man

posted on 1/4/13 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Mine is inline with my ignition, turn key, hold then prss button release key it doesn't matter then if you press the button there is no supply to it after the ignition key is released

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.