Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Ride height help wanted
JeffHs

posted on 4/4/13 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Ride height help wanted

I want to optimise my ride height. The chassis to ground measures 5.5 inches front and 5.25 inches rear. I know this is the wrong way round but I daren't go any lower at the front because the ally sump hangs down by 2 inches so it is already perilously close to the road. I can't go any higher at the back without the suspension 'topping' on rebound (it is very nasty when that happens).
Options as I see it are - 1 expensive - 2 inch longer rear shocks.
2 cheap - put the rear lower shock mount on a 2 inch deep block welded in place
3 cheap but complicated - raise the engine by making new mounts - cut a bigger hole in bonnet, exhaust clearance issues, cooling hose issues, etc.

What do you think?

rodgling

posted on 4/4/13 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
Regarding Option 3 (lowering the chassis at the front and raising the engine in the chassis) - don't forget that this will affect the basic setup of the car.

I *think* normal best practice is that the bottom wishbones are supposed to be parallel or pointing down (chassis mounting point higher than upright mounting point), if you lower the front of the car too much you will lose this. I think this is to do with having good control of camber.

Is there actually a handling issue that you've noticed which you think is caused by having the "wrong" rake?

Not Anumber

posted on 4/4/13 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Why have you rulled out shortenning the sump ?

Krash67

posted on 13/4/13 at 11:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Not Anumber
Why have you rulled out shortenning the sump ?

With you on this one........but if you don't have the engineering facilities to hand, s/h shortened sumps are like rocking horse sh**!

If your not fast..........your last!!!

JeffHs

posted on 14/4/13 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
Update - ride height fixed. I called Gazmatic who supplied 2 extended top loops by return of post - brilliant service.
Shocks are now 13 inch not 12. Had to compress the springs a bit to fit and on full wheels-off-the ground droop the axle touches the rear chassis rails but I have now been able to set the ride to 6 inches rear and 5.75 front.
Had a quick blast around the bumpy lanes and it's improved to such an extent that I think I don't have enough brakes now!

As to sump - it's an RS alloy one that is already as short as the gearbox. Is it possible/sensible to shorten it further?

RK

posted on 14/4/13 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Eureka! I have had the same problems. I ended up getting a slightly stiffer spring set, and cranking them right down, raising the height adequately. I tried to order extenders for the dampers, but they didn't fit mine in the end. I also ordered Westfield extensions but lost them.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.