Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Crossflow - 1300 or 1600?
imagineer

posted on 7/4/13 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Crossflow - 1300 or 1600?

Morning all,

Was going to use a 1.8 Zetec, but have now decided to go down the old school route - felt that an ECU took the romance out of playing with engines.

Already have an old 1300 Crossflow knocking about, but wanted to consult the members before investing any time and money.

1300 or 1600?

Which block type?

Am thinking twin 40s for some extra grunt, yes or no?

Any advice on components - where should I spend the money?

My budget is tight, so all help grealty appreciated.

Cheers.

[Edited on 7/4/13 by imagineer]

rusty nuts

posted on 7/4/13 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
A 1300 would still give pretty good performance but a 1600 would give more. I would have a look at bike carbs rather than the Webers. I have a 1600 Xflow with bike throttle bodies and full engine management that is far better behaved than any cay I've owned or driven with Webers which need fairly regular tune ups
SCAR

posted on 7/4/13 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with a tuned 1300 in a light car however I think there are two clear reasons you would use the 1300 crossflow over the 1600
1. Insurance dictates a 1300
2. racing class dictates a 1300

Possibly a 3rd reason would be that you already have the 1300 but even then if you want an increase in power a 1600 would provide a good, cheap power increase and could cost you less than the resultant increase in the 1600 cars value over a 1300.

Dooey99

posted on 7/4/13 at 11:12 AM Reply With Quote
its got to be a zetec though on bike carbs? you can do so many upgrades later on in the cars life with a zetec, mine came with a 1300 xflow i have swapped it for a 1.8L zetec... skimmed, ported and polished head, valves all being re ground with new tappets and seals and bits and pieces. it will run on zzr1100 carbs with a NODIZ management system. there is more potential and a bigger future for the zetec, but the xflow is still a solid engine which can produce loads of power but why not start with the newer more powerful engine that they will be making parts for for longer...

Less weight more speed, more power more speed

If in doubt, give it a clout

David Jenkins

posted on 7/4/13 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
If you're not going to tune the x-flow much, don't discount the single Weber 32/36 DGV down-draft carb - it has more than enough poke to make a Locost shift! It's also far easier and cheaper to get the engine tuned at a rolling road (I was quoted around £55 to get the Weber tuned, but £250+ to get bike carbs tuned). This is entirely due to the labour involved in setting up these things - 4 separate carbs instead of 1).

I replaced mine with bike carbs, and I'm still not convinced that it was a good move...

[Edited on 7/4/13 by David Jenkins]

Alfa145

posted on 7/4/13 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
I have bike R1 carbs on my 1600 Xflow. Best engine I've ever had. Runs sweet as a nut. Keeps its Tune and doesn't cost a fortune to have it rolling road tuned, if needed, as long as you find someone that actually knows what they are doing.

Find a tuner that hasn't a clue and they'll charge the earth or bugger it up completely. Seen many get fobbed off that bike carbs are crap on car engines, etc... Mine cost less than £150 to tune, same price as a mate with a 38dgas paid to have his tuned and the same another mate with a huge webber job on a v8 paid.

Set up properly they are fasr better than webbers. Set up badly they are a nightmare.

Nickctp

posted on 7/4/13 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
I would say go for a 1600 - but don't buy a cheap one!! Make sure you get one that has been rebuilt. I run twin 40s - once tuned they are great. I am rebuilding a 1600 as we speak - this also costs a fortune lol so beware. Personally I love the engine though, but prices are getting higher and higher the rarer they become.

Good luck

N

DavidM

posted on 7/4/13 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
It depends what you will be expecting from the car and what you will be using the car for.

I built mine with a standard 1300 xflow on original motorcraft carb. It was a great car to drive, very nippy but also very forgiving so easy to throw around without it biting back. The only drawback was that it could struggle in a straight line against modern cars without thrashing it constantly.

I upgraded to a 1660 xflow on twin 40's which completely transformed the car. It is now much faster with nearly twice the power, but it is also a more difficult car to drive as it can be very fierce by comparison needing much more finesse on the throttle pedal.

If you have a 1300 already the simplest route would be to stick a decent fast road cam in it, and run a twin choke weber. Add electronic ignition and it'll rev a treat and be a great drive, particularly if its your first venture into 7 ownership.

The best thing you can do with either engine is fit a 5 speed box. It makes the car so much more civilised on a long run and was the first upgrade I made to mine.

I bought a Zetec to fit to mine, but I'm in two minds whether to fit it because I'm not sure I could live without the sound of a xflow at full chat. It won't leak oil like a xflow though.

David

Proportion is Everything

imagineer

posted on 7/4/13 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
SCAR, Are we saying that a 1300 car is worth less than a 1600?
imagineer

posted on 7/4/13 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Which block type is better? 711?
Nickctp

posted on 7/4/13 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by imagineer
Which block type is better? 711?

Yep deffo the 711 block

SCAR

posted on 7/4/13 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of prospective purchasers would factor in the cost of upgrading from 1300 to 1600 when buying even if they never do and I suppose thats the point, a 1600 is seen as an upgrade from a 1300 ( because most of us desire more performance) and upgrades cost money.
Hence (like for like) a 1300 will fetch less than a 1600 and that goes for second hand engines or complete cars however as said previously nothing at all wrong with a good 1300 crossflow in a 7 type.

matto_89

posted on 13/4/13 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
All things being equal, I can't see why you wouldn't go for the 1600 personally - it's got the noise, the 'hit it harder' approach to engine management and the in-built anti-rust protection (or oil leaks...) that the 1300 has, but with more poke.

We finished our locost last year with a reasonable spec 1600 (circa 115bhp) and while it's certainly quick enough, we've still found ourselves wanting more.

To hijack this thread slightly - where have people had their bike carbs set up? We've switched from the GT spec downdraft over the winter, and need to get them set up. Based nr Ely (Cambs / East Anglia).

imagineer

posted on 13/4/13 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Crossflow 1300 sold, Zetec 1.8 16v up for sale ... am now going all out and building a V8.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.