Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anti Clockwise Starter Motor?
The Venom Project

posted on 11/4/13 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
Anti Clockwise Starter Motor?

Can anyone tell me what makes of vehicle use an Anti Clockwise starter motor? I need to attempt to add a reverse motor, but think the price of £165 plus vat for the LYNX one is a bit high. Considering the purpose made sprocket adaptor gear is £100 plus vat on its own.

Can anyone advise?

It is to drive the sprocket clockwise.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

Nick

It's not that i'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.....

MakeEverything

posted on 11/4/13 at 07:50 AM Reply With Quote
Cant you reverse the polarity of a normal one? I dont know if this is possible.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

russbost

posted on 11/4/13 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
Some older Hondas had anti-clockwise engines so I would guess probably also had anti clockwise starters, although that doesn't necessarily follow.

Can you not simply mount a clockwise staretr from the opposite side - has the same effect of reversing the direction of rotation.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
MK9R

posted on 11/4/13 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
I had to sort out the same thing for the new MNR GM3. On my existing fury we used a civic starter motor which turns clockwise like most starter motors, its not engine rotation that sets this it which side the starter is set from, and most setup so a clockwise is needed. I had a good hunt around and found the the subaru legacy one that turns anticlockwise, has the correct number of teeth and gear reduction.

This is the ebay link to the one i bought but its doubled in price since last year!!:-

STARTER MOTOR - SUBARU LEGACY MK II 1994-1999 LRS00967 | eBay

search for part number also shows these at a sensible price:-

RXS00967 LRS00967 | eBay

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 11/4/13 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Most engines rotate clockwise so nearly all starters rotate anti-clockwise except for some 4 cylinder Honda anti-clockwise engines, some Golf/Polo (starter is mounted in reverse direction) and 1970s Simca/Chrysler/Talbot Alpine anti-clockwise engines..

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

The Venom Project

posted on 11/4/13 at 09:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
Some older Hondas had anti-clockwise engines so I would guess probably also had anti clockwise starters, although that doesn't necessarily follow.

Can you not simply mount a clockwise staretr from the opposite side - has the same effect of reversing the direction of rotation.

Cheers for the replies.

I cannot mount it anywhere else, its going onto my TR1KE, which uses the R1 engine and standard gearbox, its chain driven so can only mount on the left hand side of the engine.

I suppose if a Subaru starter is £130, and the purpose made one is £165, I may as well get the purpose made one then :-(

Cheers

loony

posted on 11/4/13 at 10:54 AM Reply With Quote
Look for VAG starters. Most nowdays VW/Audi use anticlockwise starters - from 0,9kW 1,2-1,4 petrol to 2,0kW 2,0 diesel... and they are much cheaper than Subaru starters.

Lucas

MK9R

posted on 11/4/13 at 11:11 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Venom Project
quote:
Originally posted by russbost

Cheers for the replies.

I cannot mount it anywhere else, its going onto my TR1KE, which uses the R1 engine and standard gearbox, its chain driven so can only mount on the left hand side of the engine.

I suppose if a Subaru starter is £130, and the purpose made one is £165, I may as well get the purpose made one then :-(

Cheers

I posted a link for the correct starter for £60, so why not buy that one???????

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
The Venom Project

posted on 11/4/13 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MK9R
I had to sort out the same thing for the new MNR GM3. On my existing fury we used a civic starter motor which turns clockwise like most starter motors, its not engine rotation that sets this it which side the starter is set from, and most setup so a clockwise is needed. I had a good hunt around and found the the subaru legacy one that turns anticlockwise, has the correct number of teeth and gear reduction.

This is the ebay link to the one i bought but its doubled in price since last year!!:-

STARTER MOTOR - SUBARU LEGACY MK II 1994-1999 LRS00967 | eBay

search for part number also shows these at a sensible price:-

RXS00967 LRS00967 | eBay

Hahaha,

Sorry I just saw the first link for the £129 one :-)

I have emailed them to ask if they accept returns based on my trying out a special purpose made cog to see if it runs around the reduction gear. To make sure it will mesh up. If he comes back and is happy to accept it returned as long as its not been fitted, then I will take a punt and buy one.

Cheers

MK9R

posted on 11/4/13 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
We have used the starter ring from the r1 clutch basket, it meshes perfectly, let me dig a photo out

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

MK9R

posted on 11/4/13 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
here you go, the starter ring was removed from the basket

And then fitted to our idler gear

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

The Venom Project

posted on 11/4/13 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers but that is no good for my setup, I need a small purpose made gear that bolts onto toe output shaft on the front sprocket shaft, the starter mounts on the left side of the engine onto a custom made plate to allow the strater to fire forward to engage the cog and giving it the direct drive backwards.

Like this:

MK9R

posted on 11/4/13 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah that's same setup really, apart from we drive our idler gear rather than the engine sprocket end. You need to careful how small you go with the sprocket, you could end up with not enough torque to move the car or it reversed a bit quick

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

MK9R

posted on 11/4/13 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
This is the set up on the fury, only its using a civic starter so going the wrong way for you, but principles exactly the same

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

The Venom Project

posted on 11/4/13 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
I hear what your saying, but mine is chain drive, not propshaft. The pic I sent is the actual kit fitted on my type of trike with the lynx kit. I am just trying to keep the cost down as if I buy it all from them its a nice £312 which is a big chunk of cash for a starter and cog.

MK9R

posted on 11/4/13 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
My new car using the Scooby starter is chain drive

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

The Venom Project

posted on 11/4/13 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers for your help by the way

MK9R

posted on 11/4/13 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
Get your gears from here:-

http://www.hpcgears.com/

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

The Venom Project

posted on 11/4/13 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers I have emailed them

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.