Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Garage shelving
matt.c

posted on 12/4/13 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Garage shelving

I want to build some garage shelving in wood. Im going to use 4 x 2 for the frame but am unsure of what board to use of the shelving?

Also what thinkness should i go for? It wont be having engines sitting on it but will have plenty of boxes full of tools etc.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Cheers

Matt

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 12/4/13 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
I use 3/4" ply for that sort of thing.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

cliftyhanger

posted on 12/4/13 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
4x2 is HUGE for shelving. I used 2x1 and had heavy stuff on them (cast iron cylinder heads, boxes of engine bits and so on)
I used 9mm ply. Shelves 600mm deep and 2.4m long.

If you really want to go to town the wickes 38x63 studwork timber is nice stuff to use. And massively strong. If concerned then use 12mm ply.

Gertfun

posted on 12/4/13 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'd use 12mm marine ply. I bought some cheap shelving on ebay and the 9mm mdf shelves are bowing slightly now they have acceptable amounts of manly things on them!
Litemoth

posted on 12/4/13 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
OSB - thickness depends on the spans and level of support from the frame but 11mm - 7/16" will be fine for this.

Chip board is ok but you'll need to not let it get damp or it'll sag like buggery.

Orientated Strand Board out-performs ply but people will hold on to using 'Marine Ply' like an old comfort blanket and it's way too pricey for shelving nowadays.

[Edited on 12/4/13 by Litemoth]

Confused but excited.

posted on 12/4/13 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gertfun
I'd use 12mm marine ply. I bought some cheap shelving on ebay and the 9mm mdf shelves are bowing slightly now they have acceptable amounts of manly things on them!

Why marine ply? You planning on getting them wet? That is massively over spec for shelving, unless you get it cheap/free.
Agree that MDF or chipboard is pants for shelves.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

matt.c

posted on 12/4/13 at 09:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for comments.

I was going to use 2400 x 4 x 2 simply because i need to have no support on the shelf in the middle. Would the smaller stuff hold up without a support?

John P

posted on 12/4/13 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I used plywood for some shelving and Decking boards for some simply because I has it left from a project.

The ones made from the decking are far better, I didn't need to provide any longitudinal support (they're on uprights at around 2.5 mtr centres) and have lugged enormously heavy toolboxes and parts on to them with no problem at all.

Seems like overkill but overall probably not that much more costly and will last for ever.

bi22le

posted on 13/4/13 at 12:30 AM Reply With Quote
12mm ply is a beast. Too much duscussion. do it, and if it fails then take the stuff off, and re shelve with the next size up. I dont have a garage but have you ever stood on 12mm off ply board?

May be a case of no experience, no idea, and ignore this but this sounds like DIY. Build shelves you can stand on, you have no worries then!!

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Daddylonglegs

posted on 13/4/13 at 07:37 AM Reply With Quote
I'd go for pressure treated 2"x2" and use 12mm Marine Ply. Good and strong and water resistant

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

splitrivet

posted on 13/4/13 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
CLS or studding timber for your uprights and supports cheap as chips from Wickes and more than man enough for the job.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 13/4/13 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

slingshot2000

posted on 13/4/13 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:

Why marine ply? You planning on getting them wet? That is massively over spec for shelving, unless you get it cheap/free.

I have to agree, unless you can get it really cheap, why use, marine ply? It is hugely expensive, compared to OSB !
Regards
Jon

v8kid

posted on 13/4/13 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:

I agree with the wet bit. What's this with wet garages that need treated timber! Just cure the leaks for goodness sake

On the other hand chipboard is fine especially flooring grade which is cheap from builders merchants. You don't fall through the floor at home do you? ( thinks - they may do if it's wet enough). I got a load of warehouse racking and it uses flooring chipboard no probs.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Daddylonglegs

posted on 13/4/13 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
The only reaon I use Marine and treated timber is that my garage gets V.damp.

If your garage is nice and dry then definitely MDF and studding would be fine. I tend to go with fit-and-forget that's another reason I go a little OTT

[Edited on 13/4/13 by Daddylonglegs]

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

Simon

posted on 13/4/13 at 12:44 PM Reply With Quote
Shelving q has come up in the past and I'm just going to repeat what I said then:

Look up Big Dug for shelving. You'll spend far more on materials, have no guarantee on strength, then spend youlife building them.

Big Dug's stuff is immensely strong, very cheap, quick assembly, big choice of width and depth combos etc and guaranteed loading per shelf/tower.

Budget stuff

http://www.bigdug.co.uk/

ATB

Simon

splitrivet

posted on 13/4/13 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
Shelving q has come up in the past and I'm just going to repeat what I said then:

Look up Big Dug for shelving. You'll spend far more on materials, have no guarantee on strength, then spend youlife building them.

Big Dug's stuff is immensely strong, very cheap, quick assembly, big choice of width and depth combos etc and guaranteed loading per shelf/tower.

Budget stuff

http://www.bigdug.co.uk/

ATB

Simon

Looks OK but by the time youve added VAT and delivery its over £100 quid for 2 bays.
10x Lengths of CLS=£26, 2 x sheets of 12mm Chipboard = £25, Box of screws from screwfix =£2.00 the CLS is even cheaper if you take 20 lengths will build 2 bays for half the price. Depends whether youve the time/inclination to do it yourself really.
Cheers,
Bob

[Edited on 13/4/13 by splitrivet]

I used to be a Werewolf but I'm alright nowwoooooooooooooo

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.