Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Gullible and/or Corrupt?
Litemoth

posted on 24/4/13 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Gullible and/or Corrupt?

Inspired by the gold detector post on here, did anyone see the case of James McCormick going down for flogging pretend bomb detectors which were a radio aerial on a hinge on a handle...?
Despite the seriousness of the consequences at the sharp end, I couldn't help but laugh out loud. They are based on a golf ball detector (which is also plastic tat) and sold for £27k each!!

They can be modified to detect anything with a kilner jar and a sticker!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-22266051

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a86hX5cwoVg

Slimy38

posted on 24/4/13 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
I compared this to the PPI insurance thing. I think the problem wasn't the seller, it was the gullible buyers. If I had been looking at a bomb detector, I'd have been trialling it for at least six months prior to deployment, and I'd want to be absolutely sure it did what it said on the tine.
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 24/4/13 at 10:40 AM Reply With Quote
OK, so I'm a little more 'savvy' than most, having a considerable amount of NMR experience. However, absolutely stunning that something like this could be purchased and utilised in the field, without someone asking some very simple questions.
I'm cynical, that goes with the territory it seems, as does a certain amount of madness, but even so, I can harly believe this story.

The CAM detector, basically an ion-trap, is pretty much the field instrument for chemical detection. Good, solid, dependable. Old technology, but easily identifiable as such.

Some salesman turns up (supported no doubt by his political allies) pedalling an hinging aerial with such universal capabilities, hey, who's asking questions.... no one.

So yep, I'm an unwanted redundant (scrapped) NMR Spectroscopist (there is no chemical/pharmaceutical industry left in the UK), now wiping old wrinkly bottoms in the care industry for the minimum wage - but there was a time when people like me were 'out there' able to get at this sort of scam before it took hold. Our PhD's and postdoctoral experiences now stack shelves in Supermarkets for the army of public sector employees to empty, RIP Astra Charnwood.

If you've not seen the film "Idiocracy" I really do reccomend it, it's a light hearted look at a future run by (and for) complete idiots. Thing is, it's all so real....

big-vee-twin

posted on 24/4/13 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
You don't need to be a great salesman or have a product that works, when you divert funds in to the buyers bank account- you just need to find a bent buyer.

[Edited on 24/4/13 by big-vee-twin]

Duratec Engine is fitted, MS2 Extra V3 is assembled and tested, engine running, car now built. IVA passed 26/02/2016

http://www.triangleltd.com

designer

posted on 24/4/13 at 10:53 AM Reply With Quote
Anybody who bought these would not be in a job long in the real world.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Agriv8

posted on 24/4/13 at 11:02 AM Reply With Quote
The first thing I thought was a way of money laudering / corrupt officials.... Your gov buys 10k of these and I will puk 1k's worth into your your bank account.

Second thought was they were only ever sold as decoys / deterant as per a lot of the fake CCTV domes arround the place.

Just my 2ps worth

ATB agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

40inches

It could detect an object a kilometre underground, and didn't need a battery, it used the bodies electrical field to run it. Apparently

Slimy38

quote:
Originally posted by motorcycle_mayhem

If you've not seen the film "Idiocracy" I really do reccomend it, it's a light hearted look at a future run by (and for) complete idiots. Thing is, it's all so real....

I've watched that, and I do agree that it's more prophetic than I'm sure it was meant to be!

designer

posted on 24/4/13 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe it's a take on water divining? The military bloke in Iraq was walking up and down with one in each hand!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 24/4/13 at 11:10 AM Reply With Quote
Broquet fuel catalyst springs to mind amazingly the more people point on on the web it is tosh the more the seller hikes the price and more testimonies appear on the web saying how it changes water into wine, allows you to drive across water and raises the dead.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 24/4/13 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by designer
Maybe it's a take on water divining? The military bloke in Iraq was walking up and down with one in each hand!!

Want a divining story? A few years at what as then a BAA airport an underground fuel pipe that had been layed when the airfield was military airfield started leaking. The airports engineering department had no plans of the route of the pipe as they had either been lost or never handed over by the USAF and all attempts to find the pipe had failed. They were about to embark on major excavations to find the pipe which could have cause major disruption as important cables could have been damaged we somebody jokingly suggested the only thing left was hiring a diviner. Result within half an hour they located the pipe and identified the section that was leaking.

[/I]

bi22le

posted on 24/4/13 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Its the no battery thing that gets me. The fact that NOBODY has ever experienced a detector actually dectect anything. Its just incredible.

Apparently when the BBC were investigating it they found a car that had been through 23 check points that were using these detectors. Some check points had several people with these things. In the end the bomb was found by a general stop and search!

The front and lack of moral ground this guy must of had is amazing. He should become a banker.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 24/4/13 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
I can just imagine the conversation with my business unit leader "We want to try a bit of divining to locate the leak.........."

Seriously though I'd love to try a few blind trials on this sort of thing.

[Edited on 24/4/13 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

britishtrident

posted on 24/4/13 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by liam.mccaffrey
I can just imagine the conversation with my business unit leader "We want to try a bit of divining to locate the leak.........."

The guy apparently made a living out of farmers selecting sites for bore holes.

[/I]

jps

posted on 24/4/13 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:

A quick wiki suggests that scientific trials have shown no evidence for it. Which I find surprising, for some reason I had the impression that, in terms of finding water, there was some basis to it. I was always skeptical of divining for lost people, etc using a pendulumn and a map though....

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 24/4/13 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Broquet fuel catalysts... hmmm...

I enjoyed hearing all about a magnetic device that when placed in the fuel line did some quite amazing things, at Stoneleigh one year. Wonderful "alignment of fuel molecules", resulting in better fuel economy and instant enhancement of your Pinto's power output, saving the need to fit a VVT lump.

OK, so the air-head salesman didn't know he was pitching at an NMR guy, where 14 Tesla of magnetic field and several hundred watts of RF are involved in aligning things. Very amusing.

But hey, we're in a world where one man's dinitrophenol is a handy aryl conjugation building block in a synthesis pathway, another's wood preservative or another's nightclub drug and slimming aid.

Idiocracy.

britishtrident

posted on 24/4/13 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jps
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
quote:

A quick wiki suggests that scientific trials have shown no evidence for it. Which I find surprising, for some reason I had the impression that, in terms of finding water, there was some basis to it. I was always skeptical of divining for lost people, etc using a pendulumn and a map though....

I take the view that some people just pick-up on small signs such as minor changes in the vegetation or soil colour without consciously being aware of it, the rods are nothing to do with it.

[/I]

Litemoth

posted on 24/4/13 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Here you go....fill ya boots!

http://www.mitta.com.au/waterdivining.html

I wonder if divining rods can be used to detect ghosts?.....hmmmmm

[Edited on 24/4/13 by Litemoth]

[Edited on 24/4/13 by Litemoth]

Confused but excited.

posted on 24/4/13 at 12:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

So yep, I'm now wiping old wrinkly bottoms in the care industry for the minimum wage

U2U sent.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Litemoth

posted on 24/4/13 at 01:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
quote:

So yep, I'm now wiping old wrinkly bottoms in the care industry for the minimum wage

U2U sent.

rpm

posted on 24/4/13 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
re water divining, I don't know how it works but it does, I've done it myself many times to find water mains pipes in fields where there is no indication of the pipe route. have a go yourself, just get two pieces of wire coathanger about 18 inches long, bend them to 90" about 4 inches along. then hold them loosely pointing forward and walk over ground where you know there is a water pipe, they will move and cross over when your over/near the pipe. there's a guy down here who gets hired by everyone ,he can pinpoint the location and depth of a pipe to within a foot or so.
scrappy_7

posted on 24/4/13 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
re divining
I work in the drainage industry & have used divining rods to locate sewers & then had the location checked with a electronic locater never being more than .5 of a meter out

Ninehigh

posted on 24/4/13 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scrappy_7
re divining
I work in the drainage industry & have used divining rods to locate sewers & then had the location checked with a electronic locater never being more than .5 of a meter out

James Randy has a million dollars waiting for you if you can do that more often than chance would allow

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.