Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: New to bike carbs, setup on zetec
Airmatt0

posted on 27/4/13 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
New to bike carbs, setup on zetec

Hello,

I'm new here but have used the search function and read a lot of posts and articles.

I'm running an 1800 zetec on fireblade carbs. I hooked them up and did basic timing with megajolt. I know they need a specific setup to run correctly and I think I have it after reading everyone else's posts. But not everything is covered in just one topic so I was windering if someone can give me a list of what I need to do internally for the carbs to run correctly with this engine.

My setup is
1800 zetec with fireblade carbs and 4 into 1 exhaust.
Facet fuel pump from my old cross flow and filter king regulator set to full closed

Engine turns over with no choke cold
Carb screws are turned out 2.5 turns

Right now with no internal adjustment it idles great with the fuel pump off
If I turn the pump on it will flood and die

I'm guessing this is normal until I drill out the main jets adjust the clips on the needle and reset the idle. But if someone can please make a list for me that is in stupid terms as I'm used to tuning injection.

Also I know the float level needs to be changed but not sure to what.
Thank for your help!

snapper

posted on 27/4/13 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Bike carbs use very low pressure, if its flooding when pump is on I suggest fuel pressure is to high
Use a bike fuel pump or a fuel pressure regulator set to 2.5psi or less

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Airmatt0

posted on 27/4/13 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
Yes my regulator is set to .07 bar just over 1 psi. So I'm guessing that it needs adjustment inside the carbs
40inches

posted on 27/4/13 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
Some people have good results using an aftermarket pump and regulator, some don't!
Don't know of anyone having problems using a bike pump on bike carbs, they have built in pressure regulation, so no need for a separate regulator. Messing with bike carb float levels will probably cause more pain.
Save yourself some grief and fit a bike pump

austin man

posted on 27/4/13 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 1.8 zetec running megajolt and ZX9 carbs and the bike fuel pump, I believe the jets are drilled to 1.7

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

jacko

posted on 27/4/13 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
As the others say use a bike fuel pump
and i would start at 1.5 or 1.6 main jet's it depends on what other modifications you have on the engine
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
whitestu

posted on 27/4/13 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
As above, get a bike pump.

I have ZX6 carbs with 1.6. jets

If you need a Zetec map for the MJ let me know as the one I have works well.

Stu

redturner
Senior Builder

Posts 449
Registered 9/11/12

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Run 2 ltr Black Top in single seater race car.

posted on 28/4/13 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
I run a 2 ltr Black Top with R1 carbs. on a Danst manifold. The carbs are fitted with dcoe 180 main jets, (why bother drilling when the Webers fit straight in) and the air corrections were stopped up and re drilled to .05mm. The needles were lifted 1 notch. It is fired using Megajolt with the MAP sensor linked to vacuum pipes 'daisy chained' to each port. The float chambers are set dead level and fuel is supplied via a Facet pump with the regulator set to 2 psi. The engine revs to just shy of 7k and the dyno showed 165 bhp @ the wheels. The motor which is untuned as such is fitted in a single seater sprint/hill climb car. I hope this helps.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.